New Contract - ~£30 per Month - #Confused

Associate
hi all,

I am at the end of my 2 or 3 years with the Samsung S8 and it has been great.

I need some advice on a new contract and am happy to commit to up to £30 a month really. I do need a new phone as my battery is well on the way out. the phone has been great though.

As my phone is now 3 years old and I can't really find any fault with it (aside the battery) I am not desperate for bleeding edge tech now. I have NO interest in any Apple products, but I am pretty open to anything Android now. I would prefer expandable storage, decent battery and that but not overly fussed. I have considered the Pixel 3a as it is cheaper now and I feel would constitute a decent upgrade. I think the associated cost would likely come from any Data. I currently have 30gig and I use what I am allowed really, I could probably get by on 10-20.

As I said, if it is not already apparent, I am hopelessly confused!

any ideas all?

thanks in advance to the best forum full of dorks I have come across!

Associate
Do you still require the headphone slot? If so you can get good deals on the S10 series, S10e is a good cheaper deal. I personally went for an S10+ over the new S20 range as they took that feature away.

Soldato
Phones ltd.co.uk seems to be the best comparison site I've found for contracts. Seems to search most of the big folks which might help.

Also if you find a deal you like have a check on Quidco incase they are listing the deal with some extra cashback.

As an example I found a deal where mobile phones direct were giving a cashback but going through Quidco you could also get an extra £60 cashback which certainly is something to take into consideration when looking for phones.

Phones are a nightmare and mindfield.

Associate
OP
alright guys, thanks there. Headphone slot would be my preference, but not a massive deal breaker. I wish I cared more!

Soldato
Have you run the sums on buying a Pixel 3a outright for example and getting a 12mth sim only?

Can sometimes work out cheaper and gives you more flexibility than a standard £30mth24mth contract.

Associate
A S10e with headphone slot, closer to a £30 contract though could be as much as £40 or £50+ for a S10 or S10+. Also Samsung so easy data transfer from your old S8.

Or you could buy direct upfront and go pay as you go or sim only contract, but I prefer handset and contract myself.

Associate
OP
I would be quite happy to stick with Samsung tbh. My Mrs has a Huawei and that is good, although I am slightly concerned about getting Coronavirused from it.

I keep coming back to the Pixel 3a though, not entirely sure why. Talk me into or out of that?

Associate
Pixel 3a is weaker on paper than even the S10e, but a cleaner Android experience, also still has a headphone slot which Google actually bought back for that model.

I would definitely have considered a Pixel 3a for those reasons too, so definitely worth getting as well.

Associate
Have you tried having a look on Uswitch?

Normally if you put in your criteria you can find some decent deals.

Saw a decent deal for the Pixel 4 on Three for £30 a month with 100gb data, but given how battery is a priority for you that might not be the way to go.

Associate
OP
hm, sound ideas guys. Can I replace a battery on an S8? I thought it was a sealed unit?!

the Pixel 4 for ~30quid a month is tempting, but thats me being a dick. Uswitch will be worth a look, ta!

I just realised an SD slot would be handy too, but I get the impression that is being somewhat phased out.

thanks again

Permabanned
hm, sound ideas guys. Can I replace a battery on an S8? I thought it was a sealed unit?!

the Pixel 4 for ~30quid a month is tempting, but thats me being a dick. Uswitch will be worth a look, ta!

I just realised an SD slot would be handy too, but I get the impression that is being somewhat phased out.

thanks again
yeah the p20 pro is to .. but a hot hair dryer releases the bond .. i did the usb on mine .. £8 is all it took
give it a go .. ebay is your friend .. battery and reseal .. then the tube to show you how ..

Associate
I've been using a pixel 3a for a few months now, I can't praise it enough, I was using a oneplus 7 pro last year, scratched the iphone itch (11 pro max) this year as having never owned one before, sent that back as I couldn't justify having a £1300 phone in my pocket. Sold the oneplus and bought the pixel, picked it up for under £300 and I love it. Proper finger print sensor on the back, headphone jack and stock android. Definitely worth considering, especially with a sim only contract, should work out cheaper now they've dropped to £279.

Associate
OP
Three have got the Pixel 4, 100gig of data for £30 a month. I have gone for that in the end.

I really appreciate all your thoughts. In the end I have been seduced by the Pixel and would likely have been happy with the 3a, but for the cost I felt the upgrade to the 4 was justified. I can utilise the cloud storage to stretch the 64g and in the end I have reached the conclusion that I am tired of searching!

If ya'll are interested I will report back, but I get the impression you all know a lot more than I do and my 'review' will not have a lot of value!

thankyou

Associate
Three have got the Pixel 4, 100gig of data for £30 a month. I have gone for that in the end.

I really appreciate all your thoughts. In the end I have been seduced by the Pixel and would likely have been happy with the 3a, but for the cost I felt the upgrade to the 4 was justified. I can utilise the cloud storage to stretch the 64g and in the end I have reached the conclusion that I am tired of searching!

If ya'll are interested I will report back, but I get the impression you all know a lot more than I do and my 'review' will not have a lot of value!

thankyou

It's a cracking deal to be fair. I'm hoping for a similar one later in the year!

Back
Top Bottom