• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don’t think anyone think whatever AMD is pulling is ok.

I think the bone is your sarcastic comment about “apologies for intel”.

If I was intel marketing guys, I would be laughing my head off right now. AMD created this BS all by themselves. And they dug a pretty deep hole over the last 4 years to bury themselves in. I mean, with some work and some money, I am sure AMD can dig themselves out of it. After all Lisa Su went into AMD to produce Ryzen processors to demonstrate to the world that AMD can make CPU. I think ultimately they are gunning for the OEM and server sector. While the High end desktop processors are probably gonna remain a niche and enthusiast market. While this niche market is small in revenues and capitalisation, it is vocal. Al the YouTube, review sites and tech sites are all about the Ryzen and threadrippers. Very few if at all any does Epyc reviews. So if AMD fails this market then they will get a pasting.

Because I am taking the mickey because people were defending AMD over this,or making reasons why support shouldn't happen. Because all the Intel fans made the same excuse when Intel started doing it's socket lockouts too. There were people on here being obtuse many pages back because "AMD gave you X generations already" but multiple people pointed out,including those who recently went onto B450,their upgrade path ended at that generation.People were basically telling people it was bad of people to moan at AMD because Intel was "worse",etc. AMD never said anything,etc. Intel made the same "support" and "cost" excuses too. So if AMD uses the same excuses,and people accept it,then surely by extension what Intel did was fine,so people shouldn't show anger at Intel.It was not only me,but people like Martini,Augustus,etc pointing out the irony of it all. I certainly don't think what AMD is doing is good,let alone what Intel is doing so they get called out for it.

I pointed out 20 pages ago,how even OEMs such as Schenker were told by AMD that their B450 motherboards would work:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...ex/fqgnxky/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

They make the most powerful AMD laptop in existence and found out last week,it wouldn't be compatible. If you read their other responses,they are even trying to get their ODM,Clevo,to try and support it. Whose fault is that,that is the fault of AMD.Even this new excuse is AMD Zen/Zen+ CPUs can't address a 32MB BIOS,then if that is the case,AMD would have foreseen this "problem" by last year surely,which again a few pointed out. But for some reason that wasn't the fault of the company who designed the whole platform.

All they did,is for 12 months quite happily sell B450 motherboards,as the mainstream chipset. They saw people on Reddit,etc where senior AMD people actively post,were talking about Zen3 and B450,and said nothing.

One statement during the Zen2 launch would have prevented all of this. Instead they went the other way and implied even more they would keep the compatibility going. Even GN Steve,said AMD knew they would get a backlash over this,but pulled it forward to stop it affecting the Zen3 launch,and expected people to deal with it and were surprised it was bigger than expected. X399 users were dropped quickly too.We will see how it pans out.

Yes,Intel couldn't have asked for a better thing to happen. They are releasing new CPUs,and then AMD overshadowed it's own Ryzen 3 launch with this,during a lockdown when more enthusiasts are likely to have the time to read the news. Great timing!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone who bought a B450 board even X470 board within the last 6-9months would have thought there will be future upgrade path into Zen 3.

This is because AMD has actively marketed this aspect of their CPU and chipset as well as board partners explicitly said there will be support.

the other aspect of this debacle is that AMD has consistently delayed X570 and B550 releases so that many people don’t have an option other than buying into the 400 chipsets.

if anyone is going to defend AMD then they really need to look honestly in the mirror as themselves is that what they believe. Don’t get trolled by those people. Also you will find large portion of those who said “AMD has provided sufficient support and backwards compatibility” will have bought into X570 and therefore they are just laughing at other’s misery.

I myself is a sufferer if this, as I committed to a B450 Max just 2 months ago. And I was hoping for a 4000 series upgrade within 12months so that I don’t have to do a system overhaul for a while. But it looks like my best option is a 3900x on second hand at this stage.

sucks bad but I guess AMD and the board partners will ultimately loose out as not many people will be upgrading to B550 less than 12months into their gear. Also with this news and if AMD don’t do anything about it, B450 board prices will crash as the demand for them will drip to nothing at least on selfbuild, enthusiasts market. That won’t bode well for AMD as they like to constantly remind people how well they are doing in selling Ryzens - and these sales figures are from retailers not OEM.

Soldato
GN Steve said MSI have a big problem now. They invested the most into the B450 motherboards,spent loads on marketing and secured a lot of the chipsets for the motherboards. Their models were among the top selling B450 motherboards worldwide,and they expected a slower reduction in sales due to this. It appears they were totally blindsided by AMD,and are the OEM pushing the most for AMD to change it's decision.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not going to defend what AMD has done now, but you are factually wrong. X570 launched alongside Zen2/3000 and certainly wasn't delayed at all.
Yes launched the same time. Availability and range....not until end of 2019.
You can nit pick all you want. Issues lies at the heart of the fact the latest gen chipset was a) extremely expensive at launch of zen 2 and maintained high prices for a good time after and in my opinion still expensive b) availability was scarce. c) where is the B550 chipset...?

I am pretty certain more B450 chipsets are sold than X470 chipsets. So where is the support for Zen 2 from B550? If those chipsets were available to bridge the price gap between X470, B450 and X570 then this issues wouldn’t have be much of an issue.

consumer would have a choice, latest chipset with PCIe 4 and fool proof future CPU support. But no no no. Those chipset weren’t available at Zen 2 launch instead 400 series chipset along with 300 series were “fudged” to make them compatible with Zen 2. So now a load of people end up with a board that has been promised compatibility instead it is end of life product.

Permabanned
It would make sense that the B550 boards would now launch just before or along side Zen3. No point muddying the waters any further.

I’d imagine Amd will relinquish and support those that brought B450 boards specifically Max. This may well be the end of multi gen support which will be such a shame.

Soldato
Soldato
It would make sense that the B550 boards would now launch just before or along side Zen3. No point muddying the waters any further.

I’d imagine Amd will relinquish and support those that brought B450 boards specifically Max. This may well be the end of multi gen support which will be such a shame.

I think B550 boards are out next month or July, alongside the new APUs.

Associate
I just can't see/comprehend how that would be possible TBH. Surely if you know enough to be able to swap a CPU (which would require some googling and youtube videos at a minimum to understand how to take it apart and install the CPU and CPU cooler) they should know what a BIOS is.

I just can't get my head round the idea that someone would manage to figure out that a Ryzen 4000 CPU, fits into their pre B550 motherboard without coming across the words "update BIOS".

But lets say that there is someone in this weird no mans land of a category, surely they are would be an absolutly tiny majority, of personnal system builders.
I agree, the whole idea of upgrading the CPU in an existing pre-built PC is beyond the vast majority of PC owners I know. Yes it's easy enough but it's also completely off the radar for the people I know. They'd simply buy an entire new PC probably with entirely new components. The old PC gets given to the kids or goes in the bin. It will be a small number of people that are affected but they'll likely be a vocal minority.

Last edited:
Soldato
All of these X570 mobos were available from day one : https://www.anandtech.com/show/14161/the-amd-x570-motherboard-overview

I'm not nit picking at all, you are. You stated quite clearly that AMD delayed the X570 Launch. They did nothing of the sort, so just wind it in.
Mate you are linking US site to start off with. Also have you read any of its content. Many of the boards they have linked said clearly in each article, limited availability. Honestly. Some people just want to be a keyboard warrior and troll...

Soldato
Why do people need to upgrade a CPU every 12 months? I'm hearing a lot of 3700/3900 buyer crying that they cannot switch to the next ones. Really? The average PC builder probably doesn't upgrade for at least three years, all this moaning is irrelevant.

Even Intel switching sockets regularly is irrelevant to most people, new socket every year for all I care.

Permabanned
Why do people need to upgrade a CPU every 12 months? I'm hearing a lot of 3700/3900 buyer crying that they cannot switch to the next ones. Really? The average PC builder probably doesn't upgrade for at least three years, all this moaning is irrelevant.

Even Intel switching sockets regularly is irrelevant to most people, new socket every year for all I care.
Most people don't but it's one of those things. If you couldn't you wouldn't think about it but If someone say's you can't well now you want too.

Anyway their Is no denying that this could have and should have been handled better. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt personally but others won't. I've got a feeling people are now going to get what they want. No multi gen support as you just cannot please everyone and tick all the boxes. One or two gens max is the way it's probably going to go from now on. Amd no longer need to rise from the ashes and offer things Intel aren't they have the better technology and the bigger market share at least in this small niche.

Permabanned
I personally bought a 3600 on the cheap intending to replace it for a Ryzen 3 8 core CPU in the near future.
Same I brought a cheap cpu and spent more on the board. I got the Tachi cheaper during the launch introduction that a competitor was offering.

I didn't need It so to speak but I tend to keep my stuff longer so I thought I'll get slightly ahead of the curve and upgrade my cpu If I feel It warrants it.

Soldato

A lot of people who brought B450 did so as they were on a tighter budget and went with a CPU like the 3600 with the express intention to upgrade the cpu in 2-3 years time not 12 months.

Permabanned
A lot of people who brought B450 did so as they were on a tighter budget and went with a CPU like the 3600 with the express intention to upgrade the cpu in 2-3 years time not 12 months.
Everyone is on a budget fella I spent more than I intended too or even wanted too and I'm not flush in the slightest.

You cannot please everyone simple as that. Your alternative is to buy Intel in which you'll get even less for your limited budget. 2 cores not that long ago would have been your option 4 if you had a bigger budget.

It's a lose, lose for Amd. People will find something to moan about whether It's Intel, Amd, Nvidia or Apple. Not enough performance, not enough cores, not enough Mhz and so and so forth.

Soldato
Everyone is on a budget fella I spent more than I intended too or even wanted too and I'm not flush in the slightest.

You cannot please everyone simple as that. Your alternative is to buy Intel in which you'll get even less for your limited budget. 2 cores not that long ago would have been your option 4 if you had a bigger budget.

It's a lose, lose for Amd. People will find something to moan about whether It's Intel, Amd, Nvidia or Apple. Not enough performance, not enough cores, not enough Mhz and so and so forth.
I would have been happy to drop an extra 50 quid though had I been aware at the time that X570 was the only board getting future support but nothing in the marketing stated this infact it was quite the opposite in the case of MSI.

Soldato
I’m another who got caught out by this fiasco. Built my brother a system at Christmas with the MSI B450 Mortar Max with a second hand 2600. Fully had the intention to upgrade to a 4000 series processor in the future. Bit disappointed by all this. At least there the route of 3700/3800/3900X open though.

Soldato
I usually skip a generation so it was time to upgrade my 2600x but I'm now wondering if I should wait for whatever comes after the 4000 series

I was considering buying a new motherboard for 4000 series anyway because I wanted pcie4 but apparently that's not going to have any impact on gaming and my CPU doesn't seem to do much in game anyway, it's certainly no where near 100% usage so I'm wondering what the point is and just buy a higher tier GPU than I usually would do instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom