What book are you reading...

Associate
Same with Scott Lynch, beginning to think we will never see the 4th book. Not in the same D&D group are they?

At least Lynch has finished the 1st draft for book 4 ; it has been almost 10 years since Rothfuss' last book. Basically his head isn't in it anymore, and I don't think the third ( and supposedly final ) book will ever appear.

As for GRRM, mentioned earlier, I don't think he'll finish ASOIAF either. Like Rothfuss he's lost his mojo and given his age, and writing speed, will likely die before he can finish book 7. I do think we'll get Winds of Winter, though.

Last edited:
Associate
Given how little of the arc plot has been put into the first two books, I struggle to believe that this was ever a trilogy. At the current pace I'd say five books minimum.
It is meant to be a trilogy, but as you say the first two books contain barely any plot advancement and it's hard to imagine how the series can be finished off satisfactorily in just one more book. That's probably another reason for the lengthy delay of the third book.

Soldato
"Redemption" by Will Jordan (aka The Critical Drinker). Spec Ops soldier with issues gets embroiled in plots, action and mayhem. It's actually very good and all the characters feel like real people; warts and all. OK, so the soldiers are all uber-warrriors but they're also very flawed (no all-American, Jack Ryan heroes here), the plot moves along quickly but without any ridiculous leaps of logic and I find that I genuinely understand the motivations of everyone involved (whether you want to or not). I'm enjoying it and will read more when this one is done.
Although it is hard not to read it in the Drinker's voice at times. :D

Soldato
Just starting expanse book 4, Cibola burn now :)
Trying to juggle watching the TV series and reading the books simultaneously. Nearing the end of season 3 on TV, so will have to pause that for a while and crack on with book 4.

Associate
Given how little of the arc plot has been put into the first two books, I struggle to believe that this was ever a trilogy. At the current pace I'd say five books minimum.

I hope not, I'm only 40. Don't think I'll live long enough.

Edit: I suspect he's written himself into a corner. I love these crafted stories were plots and characters are weaved in and it take multiple re-reads to uncover all the links, hints and revelations you just completely missed.

Obviously take a lot longer to craft, just not 10 years longer.

I think these get harder to write the further in and closer to the end they get. He's said for instance on the first draft of the first book the whole Trebon plot wasn't there and on revisions was interwoven in. Perhaps now he's gotten to the end the quilt he's weaving has a few loose threads where if you pull them the thing falls apart. Obviously can't go back to the previous two to adjust them so it would work how he wants it to end so is sat there mulling how to fix the third...

This must go doubly for GRRM who can't recall himself all the intricacies of his own story, never mind trying to write a finish for a story that most people know, roughly, how it'is going to end thanks to the show.

Last edited:
Associate
The Plot to Kill The Pope. It's part of the Annoymous authors Bourbon Kid series. Reminds me a little of From Dusk Til Dawn.

About the start Wheel of Time Book 5 once I've finished the above. Really enjoying the series although they definitely could have been edited down in some places. Saying this as I tug my braid... :D.

Associate
Just finished A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie.

It's ok. It's not his best work, imo. Took a while to get going but an easy enough read... apart from the names.
I've read books (and series) with massive amounts of characters but for some reason this one, with not a huge amount, caused me problems keeping track of who's who??

That said, I'll still read the next installments in The Age of Madness series, whenever that may be.

Soldato
I just finished Wool by Hugh Howey. I really enjoyed it actually. The next one in the series (Shift, I think? :confused: ) is definitely going on my list.

Caporegime
Just finished (well, up to date) with the King's Dark Tidings series by Kel Kade. Weird series, I would have bet money it was written by a man but looked it up and it isn't! The main character is a bit frustratingly perfect but something kept me reading. it's not a masterpiece but I'm enjoying the story.

Started the Dishonored books, I've not heard great things and tie-ins are...shaky territory but I love the games so I want to read them.

Soldato
Just finished the Transformation trilogy by Neal Asher, I do like his books, well worth a read as is the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie which is 99p on kindle today: https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Law-Trilogy-Boxed-Set-ebook/dp/B008DMD6VW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&fst=as:off&qid=1590483090&rnid=341689031&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

:)

Thank you Dano!!!

After a 35 year (yes 35 year) break from reading Fantasy Novels I have revisited the genre - I recently bought the paperback version of the 1st book in Abercrombie's Trilogy (The Blade Itself). I'm about half way through it and really enjoying it. 99p for the Kindle Trilogy is a steal!

I started off with an audio version (from audible) of 'The Raven's Mark,' trilogy by Ed McDonald. I chose this trilogy because I wanted something that was not excessively long and as it had 3 volumes and seemed to have a beginning a middle and an end it ticked those boxes.

I'd describe it as a Fantasy/Horror story - not too much in it by way of humour or light relief and quite dark throughout. What made it interesting was that the entire trilogy is written from the 1st person perspective of the main character. So, from beginning to end you experience everything from his perspective.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the series it and if you like a bit of horror mixed with dark fantasy then I'd highly recommend it!

Soldato
14 - Peter Clines. After being mentioned earlier in this thread, and one of the few Peter Clines books that I hadn't got around to reading. This is one of his best, at least as good as "The Fold", but more of an occult mystery than the sci-fi of "The Fold". Nate's stuck in a dead end job, and shortly to be homeless after his flatmates move out. He's recommended a surprisingly cheap apartment in a historical old building in a nice part of Los Angeles. He soon notices weird things about his apartment, and after getting to know some of his neighbours, they embark on a scooby-doo style adventure to find out all the weirdness about the building, why it's like that, and what it's all for. A very clever dark mystery, with good characters, and a real page turner. I think I read the whole thing in two or three days, because you always want to see what the characters discover next as they poke about in a building that should not exist. Highly recommended.

Man of Honour
14 - Peter Clines. After being mentioned earlier in this thread, and one of the few Peter Clines books that I hadn't got around to reading. This is one of his best, at least as good as "The Fold", but more of an occult mystery than the sci-fi of "The Fold". Nate's stuck in a dead end job, and shortly to be homeless after his flatmates move out. He's recommended a surprisingly cheap apartment in a historical old building in a nice part of Los Angeles. He soon notices weird things about his apartment, and after getting to know some of his neighbours, they embark on a scooby-doo style adventure to find out all the weirdness about the building, why it's like that, and what it's all for. A very clever dark mystery, with good characters, and a real page turner. I think I read the whole thing in two or three days, because you always want to see what the characters discover next as they poke about in a building that should not exist. Highly recommended.

Yup, 14 is my favourite Peter Clines book so far, Dead Moon is probably my second favourite. I havent yet done his latest book, Terminus, which is sort of a sequel to 14

Soldato
Yup, 14 is my favourite Peter Clines book so far, Dead Moon is probably my second favourite. I havent yet done his latest book, Terminus, which is sort of a sequel to 14

I really didn't like Dead Moon. It just felt rushed and stupid, with characters doing dumb things all the time. Even if you could get past the dumb initial premise, every time a character got killed because they acted very, very stupidly, it just made me roll my eyes. I struggled to finish it because of that.

I thought The Fold was much, much better, and on par with 14. It has a sort of similar feel about it.

Back
Top Bottom