Merc B200 Diesel auto box fubarred?

Soldato
Hello all,

Mother's 2009 Mercedes B200 CDI has stopped moving forwards or backwards. You can move the stick, in R it makes a quiet grinding noise and doesn't move, in D it makes a faster louder grinding noise and doesn't move. When put back in park it makes a horrid noise like when fudging a gear change in a manual.

She can't remember the last time it was serviced which is probably the problem.. will this be completely lunched? Is this something anyone can deal with or to the dealer? I'm trying to avoid paying to get it towed to Mercedes, to pay them £200 just to tell me it's dead, and given a quote for thousands :rolleyes:

Any help much appreciated :D

Soldato
It does sound a lot like something is spinning, and then when you put it in park which you can normally only do when the output shaft is not spinning on account of the car being stopped it gives a clatter as the transmission lock engages. So diff/drive-shaft/cv joint failure is plausible. If not then that's a CVT box right? I don't know that rebuilds on those are really available..

Soldato
OP
It has been recovered already, this happened when she stopped at lights and it just wouldn't move off again. I'll get the jack under it at some point and see if the wheels turn.

I have looked at a company that does reconditioned boxes, picks up the car and brings it back, but they haven't emailed me back.

Soldato
OP
Ah thanks for that I've just had a look and as you can see the right driveshaft is covered in lube, and there is a jubilee clip spinning around at the gearbox end! It might not be binning time for the mumvan yet! :D

Soldato
Yuck, it's remarkable how effective the CV joint grease is at protecting CV joints, when the boot splits a joint failure is just a matter of time. It's also remarkable how impossible the stuff is to get out of your clothes..

m_c

m_c

Associate
I'd say the spline has finally worn out at the CV joint, and the boot spinning of is just a symptom, not the problem.
Cheapest fix is usually a reconditioned shaft from a motor factors.

You can thank the molybdenum in the grease for it not washing out of clothing easily. Absolutely horrendous stuff to work with, but one of the best lubricants for the application.

Back
Top Bottom