Are AIO GPUs Effective?

Associate
Hello all,

I'm thinking ahead to when Nvidia releases the next generation of gaming GPUs and I have a question. I've noticed Gigabyte produce an AIO-cooled GPU and I was wondering how effective it would be when compared to a regular air-cooled GPU. They are of course rather more expensive than air-cooled models but is the increased cooling worth it?

Thanks!

Permabanned
Generally a water cooled GPU runs cooler and quieter, that is often the main draw rather than being faster but they often do have marginal performance benefits.

Cant say if its "worth it" or not as thats down to the individual.

Associate
OP
True, fair point. I'm thinking of possibly going with an Aorus themed-build when the new GPUs come out and since I'll try and save up enough money to get a 2080TI I might as well wait a little bit longer and get an AIO GPU if they release one.

Associate
OP
That's true. I must admit I do really like the look of the 2080TI FE cards. What's the difference between FE cards and aftermarket cards? I know aftermarket cards are typically already overclocked - can FE cards overclock to gain similar or near-identical levels of performance? Is there even that much of a performance gap between them?

Permabanned
Varies, some aftermarket cards will be near identical to the FE with just a beefed up cooler. Others can be extensively modified PCB designs, power delivery, modded bios etc.

I have a FE 1080, which I water cooled and it boosts higher than the majority of aftermarket cards(out the box). Expect most of the aftermarket cards when tweaked will do similar speeds but at the cost of noise/temps.

Soldato
I only ever use AIO cards now, specifically EVGA. Have done for years, they're amazing cards. Playing the most demanding games, OC'd mine doesn't go above 68C (Today and the room is about 23~24)

Soldato
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll probably either get an AIO GPU or possibly go full-on watercooling although I haven't got a clue what that entails so it would be a bit nerve-wracking.

AIO is definitely easier as its plug and play. Temps should be around 50-60c while being extremely quiet vs an air cooled card.

Watercooling is definitely better but requires more research, knowledge and general maintainance. Easily learned however. Thread here for questions.

Associate
I was running one of these for quite a while:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...de-bundle-premium-black-shroud-bu-085-tl.html

I would really highly recommend this to anyone with a little experience installing coolers/etc. It's not stupidly expensive and you can consider it an investment of sorts since you can then move it to your next card in the future.

This ran my 1080ti at about 44c and my 2080ti got up to around 51c with the same setup.
(Note: this is in a Raven 3 case with the rad along the bottom, so it's pulling cool air directly from the bottom)

I recently got the Kraken x63 280mm kit (and move the above to my CPU which worked out nicely, though the x63 kit is a tad expensive) and this dropped my 2080ti to around 45c. I applied liquid metal and ended up replacing the fans with Artic P14s and now I'm around 38-41c and it's basically silent with the P14s around 1500rpm :) (and this is in the slightly warmer summer weather too!)

It's ended up being sort of fun installing them too now I've got more experience with it.

Back
Top Bottom