Network Cable

Permabanned
I have a number of cat 6 cables I need to make up. These are for indoor use and range around 15m long. UTP. Ideally I would like multicore cable because these are for patch cables but not too worried if they are solid core. Looking around I see it's a real minefield because nearly all cables now seem to be CCA. Can anyone point me towards a decent cable in lengths of either 50m or 100m?

Soldato
Agreed, at the moment, the only reason I would make up a cable would be if there was a requirement to pass the cable through a hole smaller than the RJ45 connector. Pre-made cables are generally excellent and cheaper than buying the parts and tools required to make your own cables.

Permabanned
OP
Agreed, at the moment, the only reason I would make up a cable would be if there was a requirement to pass the cable through a hole smaller than the RJ45 connector. Pre-made cables are generally excellent and cheaper than buying the parts and tools required to make your own cables.

There is. All the cables have to go through ducts in the walls that are only 20mm in diameter. The problem is that once you have one in the second or third won't go. Besides, the problem still stands that most pre-made cables now seem to be CCA.

Soldato
OK - if you want to pull your own cables then yes, you'll need to terminate them yourself. I like the CAT6 external grade cable from Cable Monkey which comes with a variety of brands on it, but it's generally from Connectix (CCS), Excel or BT. I generally buy the 23awg stuff because once you've straightened the cables out they sit flat and go into the RJ45 connector beautifully. I also like the Platinum Tools EZ-RJ system. Just make sure you buy the right connectors for the cables.

Or better yet, terminate the cable runs into a patch panel or sockets so you can plug your pre-made cables into them. It's SO much more robust over time. And punching down is even easier than crimping RJ45 connectors.

While you don't need external grade cable inside the house, it seems to survive being pulled much better than the internal only cables. I would avoid the stuff with the gel inside, it's apparently excellent at repelling moisture and vermin but it's just horrible to work with.

Last edited:
Don
You shouldn't be crimping cat6 into jacks. Run them to walk ports and patch panel. Then use short patch leads.

Buy a 305M drum of cat6. Get either Excel or CCS cable, Fusion cable is good too.

Back
Top Bottom