Prebuilt system - advice please!

Associate
OP
Well, best of luck - you more or less know what you're doing regarding build. You'll at least know very quickly if it is or it isn't.

You could ask for a replacement PSU - as this would rule this out too. Reason for this is if you get your replacement CPU and have the same problem you would then be looking hard at the PSU and motherboard as the problem. You could 'statistically' rule the PSU out via OcUK's error.

Thanks mate. I’ve taken a leap of faith and ordered a replacement CPU from the same amazon seller, as it was the only place I could get it tomorrow at a similar price.

I’m going to test this tomorrow before I bring up the issues with OCUK as at least then I’ll know whether any of the components they supplied are at fault.

Associate
OP
Daft question but should I remove the mobo completely to install the new cpu or try and install it in situ with someone holding the back plate ?

Associate
OP
Been watching YouTube videos and found an interesting comment that the older 2600X has 5 fan blades and the newer ones have 7.

Mine only has 5 and looking at the videos, the 7 blade one has a square plate (where the thermal paste is) and the 5 blade one is round.

Is there any performance difference in the older vs newer one? I’m wondering if this is why the pricing is so keen.

Associate
OP
Plot thickens. Filtered the amazon reviews (4.8 out of 5 so looks good on the surface) to just show the bad reviews and there are plenty of comments about faulty processors and even boxes being sent with no cpu in them (!)

I’ve now cancelled the order and will wait the extra day to get it elsewhere.

Soldato
Plot thickens. Filtered the amazon reviews (4.8 out of 5 so looks good on the surface) to just show the bad reviews and there are plenty of comments about faulty processors and even boxes being sent with no cpu in them (!)

I’ve now cancelled the order and will wait the extra day to get it elsewhere.
Yep, online shopping is becoming a PITA thanks to ****sticks, everywhere.

Associate
OP
So now after paying premium for Sat delivery it’s gonna be Tuesday night at the earliest before I can get it up and running.

Best laid plans and all that....!

Associate
OP
You could get the PSU swapped - probably same turn around?

Yeah I’ll call OC tomorrrow. Be keen to see what they say about the graphics card too. It’s definitely been in someone’s pc I’d say, the peely film was all taken off as well as no static bag etc

Soldato
All up and running now :) replacement CPU arrived this morning, 30 mins later we have Windows and all is right with the world!

Thanks again to all of you for all the help!
Great stuff!

Enjoy - any other problems post back.

@tamzzy's early call re CPU - credit to him. A bit disconcerting that two, 2600X CPUs are DOA in new builds within 3 weeks - i may contact the other guy and clarify where he got his from. If it's the same place will probably add warning to member's specs.

Associate
OP
Great stuff!

Enjoy - any other problems post back.

@tamzzy's early call re CPU - credit to him. A bit disconcerting that two, 2600X CPUs are DOA in new builds within 3 weeks - i may contact the other guy and clarify where he got his from. If it's the same place will probably add warning to member's specs.

Yeah, there’s a handful of reviews on that seller on amazon about faulty units or even cpus missing from the packaging!

Soldato
Let the fun commence!

CD2-B2435-8745-4-EA7-A6-B4-3-E7-D66-D4-DBA7.jpg

Could I ask some questions about that case... I really need to know the distance from the top of the PCI slots to the start of the vertical slots... Pic may help... I need to know the blue line length.... So I can work out how tall cards can be to fit in the red and green spaces without fouling on the yellow... (and its not 3 dual slot GPUS ;) )

Back
Top Bottom