AMD 3900X Build - Advice

Soldato
Hi,

Looking at a 3900X but unsure on:

Motherboard - Looking for something decent, good amount of USB ports, again so much choice
RAM - 32GB, thinking of Corsair Vengeance but not sure which rated one to go for? 3200hz ?
CPU - Cooler - thinking of something with RGB (bit like the RAM and Board really!) like a a Corsair Hydro, but again which one?

Any advice / suggestions would be great!

Associate
Mobo- Look at the X570 range as they usually have more ports and more i/o options
RAM- Generally any top named brand should do you fine (G-Skill, T-Group, Kingston etc). 3200MHz is fine but you might as well go for 3600 MHz since your spending 3900x money.
Cooler- The 3900x comes with a good enough RBG air cooler. You don't really need a AIO unless your looking at overclocking. Unless you want a cleaner look and quieter operation. I would say the Coolermaster Masterliquid range of AIO are fairly good value for all the RGB you get.

Soldato
Hi guys, so is there any point getting that if the new B550 boards are due?

depends if want to save a bit of cash, b550 will be just as good as x570 but overall slightly cheaper, though the x570 tomahawk is very tempting at just over £200, either option will run a 3900x and offer a upgrade path to 4th gen when it lands. end of the day it comes down to personal preference, go with what you like and offer you the best for your dosh :)

Soldato
OP
Is there much difference from 3200 to 3600 in terms of memory? I can get the for £155 atm so is it worh the extra?
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 Enthusiast RGB LED Illuminated Memory Kit

Soldato
Thanks..so one more question, 4 x 8GB sticks or 2 x 16GB?

ideally 2 sticks if you can for the dual channel controller on the cpu, tbh i have 4 sticks in my 3900x build (cl14 ripped 8 pack) and they work just as well, dual channel will allow a further upgrade down the line vs using 4 sticks, the whole lot need's replacing :(

Soldato
OP
ideally 2 sticks if you can for the dual channel controller on the cpu, tbh i have 4 sticks in my 3900x build (cl14 ripped 8 pack) and they work just as well, dual channel will allow a further upgrade down the line vs using 4 sticks, the whole lot need's replacing :(

Cool, I'll go for 2 x 16GB then. Looking to go for that MSI board recommended above on Sunday and I'll order the RAM then too, got my 1080ti auction ending on Sunday so that will cover the cost!

Ordered my Ryzen 3900X just now :)

Soldato
Cool, I'll go for 2 x 16GB then. Looking to go for that MSI board recommended above on Sunday and I'll order the RAM then too, got my 1080ti auction ending on Sunday so that will cover the cost!

Ordered my Ryzen 3900X just now :)

you wont be disappointed with it, i was very happy moving from a heavily overclocked 7900x, and noticed no performance loss, i however was over the moon when i checked thermals and power, 7nm uses next to nothing, which is very welcomed XD.

even now with a 4.4ghz all core clock i just about hit 150w peak power for the cpu which is nuts

Back
Top Bottom