Teamspeak 5

Soldato
https://new.teamspeak.com/

Anyone in on the closed Beta?

Anyone have a beta key?

Personally, I am not a Discord fan, was always dubious and then they started demanding a mobile phone number or I lost my account. So I said screw it.

With both Mumble and TS using Opus now, is it just a "UI" choice?

As much as I love Mumble, the UI is very much a "90s deal" and some persistent chat in this day and age is not a bad thing.

Associate
wait what? 5? It was teamspeak 3 just now. An excellent program, unfairly eaten by Discord. Which by the way is worse in sound quality an latency

Associate
Another plus for teamspeak. You could choose where to host a server (close to you and teammates), minimizing latency.

In voice comms latency makes a big difference.

I remember server licence was free for small non-profit stuff like clans.

Caporegime
Another plus for teamspeak. You could choose where to host a server (close to you and teammates), minimizing latency.

In voice comms latency makes a big difference.

I remember server licence was free for small non-profit stuff like clans.
IDK I just remember all the clans I was in we ended up paying for a TS server. but we also paid for our own webhosting for website and forums as well.
oh look discord comes along, it's free and does all 3 in one.

genius.

people still use mumble though guess its better than discord if your ordering 100-300+ people around in a game like eve-online.

But I always liked teamspeak

Caporegime
Teamspeak was overtaken by Discord as they simply didn't keep up with the times, it had its advantages when set up correctly but in the world of gaming and technology, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" doesn't work. People always want shinier and simpler tools.

Last edited:
Soldato
Teamspeak does offer more flexibility and options but Discord offers enough for the majority of users while being free. I have used both and find both fine. Discord has been having a few server issues past few weeks though.

Associate
Our issue with all the usual candidates is we all hate Opus, we're still running an older version of TS3 so we can use speex.

Soldato
As other have said - Discord is just simple, easy and free so suits 95% of people.

I used TS2/3 for years and years, then discord came along and never touched TS3 since.

Never had an issue with discord for loads of FPS etc.

Simplicity wins for most people - hence why Discord just "works".

Associate
Stop being dramatic, it's my opinion not yours.

My experience of discord sound - ignoring the fact it's Opus which I don't like - is that it seems to be more susceptible to distortion. I've had audio 'squeaks' (think a tv that's got bad signal) while using it, and it's not uncommon either. TS3 has never done that.

As other have said - Discord is just simple, easy and free so suits 95% of people.

I used TS2/3 for years and years, then discord came along and never touched TS3 since.

Never had an issue with discord for loads of FPS etc.

Simplicity wins for most people - hence why Discord just "works".

Ignoring the server setup and group stuff on TS, what makes TS hard? They both seem to be run application -> connect to server -> select channel -> talk.

Soldato
My experience of discord sound - ignoring the fact it's Opus which I don't like - is that it seems to be more susceptible to distortion. I've had audio 'squeaks' (think a tv that's got bad signal) while using it, and it's not uncommon either. TS3 has never done that.

Ignoring the server setup and group stuff on TS, what makes TS hard? They both seem to be run application -> connect to server -> select channel -> talk.

I'm saying for "most" people - discord looks nicer, is one click, you can share stuff in chat/channels etc. You want to setup from scratch a new voice channel for you and your mates....which one is quicker and easier to setup from scratch..... Discord.

I'm not saying it's better or worse - both have positives and negatives but for most people - Discord wins.

Associate
I'm saying for "most" people - discord looks nicer,

Yep, it's definitely pretty

one click, you can share stuff in chat/channels etc.

Links? Or something else because links in both are copy/pasta

You want to setup from scratch a new voice channel for you and your mates....which one is quicker and easier to setup from scratch..... Discord.

Channel or server? For channel they're both right click, create channel, type name, hit ok for both (yes TS has more fields that can scare people away)

I'm not saying it's better or worse - both have positives and negatives but for most people - Discord wins.

I get most people will go for discord because it's supposedly easier, it's definitely prettier. But then why aren't they just using skype? No messing about with channels at all, no server setup or creation needed, sharing attachments/links supported.

Another major issue with discord for me is that it seems to be the only voice program that fails to pick up my microphone audio properly with audio being too quiet. TS3 - fine, Skype - fine, windows sound check - fine, discord - your mics quiet can you turn it up - nope it's on max. I wouldn't mind if it was a one off, but this is on my USB Cloud 2. My analogue Cloud 1 it decided to boost an underlying hum. The only way for me to hear that in any other program was to set output to speakers and turn the volume to max (my speakers aren't quiet). Sure I'll be one of the unlucky few that get all the issues, but still.

Doesn't discord also stop working if their servers go down? I seem to remember it being 'down' a couple of times. Or can you host a server yourself now?

Back
Top Bottom