Live Stream of my Bird Box - Bluetits Nesting - Chicks Hatching Now

Soldato
OP
She just tried again with another huge caterpillar and gave up and ate it herself.

She tried to feed it for about 30 seconds and the chick had its mouth open the whole time to receive it but because the caterpillar is so long and the chick is squirming and thrashing around so much she just couldn't get it in and so for the third time today she brought him a caterpillar and ended up eating it herself. :(

Soldato
I thought that too @Minxy but it doesn't look like it for Blue ****. They just clutch the food in their beaks and try to drop it in the mouths of the chicks.

Looks like she's heading out again. Hopefully this is a successful feed this time.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I tried to research this a couple of weeks ago but don't think bluetits do. Think they just feed solid food.

She just seems to be having difficulty physically getting it in to the chicks mouth I suppose because the caterpillar is so big and because the chick is thrashing around so much to try to her attention and out compete any siblings

Soldato
OP
@Yaayuh! Yeah I've tried dried mealworms, rehydrated meal worms and live mealworms.

She's not interested.

Even posted some live mealworms in to the box when she was out yesterday as a last resort when it looked like the chick was dying. She takes them back out and throws them away.

There's plenty out in the feeders should she choose them but she doesn't seem to see them as a viable food source for the chick unfortunately.

Soldato
OP
Starting to think she's not coming back or something has happened to her.

This is a long time to leave the chick alone. She has been taking a long time to find food generally but don't recall her being away this long since the chicks hatched.

It's the heat issue as well. The other chick died on the corner after 40 mins on its own.

Temp outside right now is 17.6c so it's warmer than previous days.

Soldato
OP
1.5 hours.

Think I'm going to end the stream now.

I'll let you know if she does reappear but it's highly unlikely now. Even if she does I doubt she can save the chick.

Soldato
OP
Could it be the Sparrows put her off?

Could you intervene and feed it some bugs? I know I wouldn't be able to resist trying to save the little guy

I guess either something got her or she was injured by the sparrows yesterday or she decided to abandon the nest.

A big part of me would like to help the chick and I have enough live mealworms to last it's it's lifetime.

But I'm not sure it's the right thing to do. It's certainly the human thing to do. But these aren't humans they're wild animals.

Even if I kept it warm and fed I'd be keeping it alive but not sure I'd be giving it a fair shot at life. I can't teach it any of the things if needs to learn from its parents.

It would likely die after being released either at the hands of a cat or from failing to feed and support itself without having learned basic survival skills from its parents.

On balance it may be crueler than it is kind. But people will have different opinions on that.

This is sad :(

Very sad indeed. I've been watching these two Bluetit parents visit the nest box since November. :(

Soldato
Is there no local voluntary wildlife rescue groups that can take it in? I often see posts for them on local FB groups in my area. They will likely have more experience in this kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom