This Business and Moment...

Associate
Just over two months in now and all but 10 days of it working from home. I work across two sites - half is good, half is a soft okay. Trying to figure out loads of things for myself, almost feel like a detective having to hunt down loads of information for how things were done and how they need to be done. Getting frustrated.

Soldato
OP
Just over two months in now and all but 10 days of it working from home. I work across two sites - half is good, half is a soft okay. Trying to figure out loads of things for myself, almost feel like a detective having to hunt down loads of information for how things were done and how they need to be done. Getting frustrated.
This place is a bit like that. I know a lot of people who have joined and found the exact thing. There might be info about things but no one knows where it is, but if you ask John, he'll know or ask Jane and she knows someone who will know. Really shows how important the onboarding process is and making sure that there is a good place to find information within a company based on your role.

Permabanned

When that happens it means there was no structure in the work place to start with. I worked at a place where even though there was 125 staff you where on your own.

They provided you with no materials apart from a telephone and a ticket system. Pretty horrible. I ended up leaving.

Horrible places to work where you feel like you on your own all the time even though there is plenty staff.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So got an email (followed by a call shortly after!) offering 3 interview dates next week :cool:

I've already had 2 recent interviews and whilst the feedback was extremely positive, both places were looking for someone to just join and jump right in knowing the systems and processes with what seemed like minimal or self-training. Sadly those types of environments are not for me as I like a structured onboarding and development process with strong mentoring. The interview next week should be exactly that and for a global organisation too. I knew a family member who used to work for them in another role and they sung praise for the environment. More details after next week I guess! I feel confident about this one as I have a lot of things in my favour!

But don't want to jinx anything.....

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ah good luck man! I hate saying anything about anything, I always feel like I jinx it every time lol I have seen something I quite like but meh. Will see. So political, will see what happens.

Cheers! My cousin used to work for them before she moved to London in a similar sector so this weekend we are mock interviewing so I'm fully prepared.

I've got this :D

Soldato
OP
Cheers! My cousin used to work for them before she moved to London in a similar sector so this weekend we are mock interviewing so I'm fully prepared.
Haha a good friend of mine told the hiring manager of this role I like all about me and is coaching me all the things she likes. I just need to get in front of her and try and do my thing!

You got this!

Soldato
OP
lol so this job pops up on my Linkedin to apply for. End of last year I interviewed for the chief product officer at Doodle, so I get that sort of thing come up on my recommended things. This job that comes up is another Chief Product Officer role, remote based, 400k salary... I'm like **** me...Easy Apply option as well? CLICK!
No, the easy apply on linkedin basically meant you then got sent the proper application. I got through 2 stages of this VERY impressive process and it goes BAM - You have 15 mins to answer 50 questions... and if you've ever answered/ taken an IQ / Mensa test you'll know the types of question that they were. Thing is they are wordy as **** and with 50 in 15 mins it gives you 18 seconds per question. Some of them I could knock out quickly as they are pattern and sequence based things and I like those and find them easy, but the super quick mental maths ones... jesus. I got 41 answered and my time ran out. It popped up and said "you failed, but you were very close, so close that you can have another try..."
You can't navigate away from that tab, close the window etc. You literally have to smash it in 15mins AND answer them all correctly. I've never had something so hard in a process before lol

I am going to crack it tomorrow and see if I can use some mental memory to whip through questions I can remember without reading them all to get through. God knows what the next test will be, but man... what a wake up that was! I'll let you know if I can finally get through all 50 tomorrow!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
For some reason that sounds more like a marketing game than a candidate selection process :p Personally I'd have my pinch of salt sprinkling down over my forward steps throughout :p Certainly not something I have ever heard of before and 400k salary?!

Good luck all the same though!

Soldato
That sounds cool. Reminds me of when I was in San Fransisco (no gong, it's relevant), got an Uber and when I got in the car I got a notification saying that Uber were hiring devs and would I like to take a test to get through to an interview or somesuch. I'm not a dev, but know a bit of PHP/SQL etc so thought why not. Obviously it was ridiculously difficult, I barely understood the questions for most. But I thought what an absolutely brilliant recruitment concept; captive audience, already your customer, live where your office is and you know they've got the time to do it based on their ETA.

alx

alx

Soldato
Recently became a Member of the Energy Institute (MEI) and a Chartered Energy Engineer to boot. More letters to add to my name - badge collecting as we call it haha. Looking forward to getting involved with the Energy Institute committee here in the Middle East once the covid situation eases.

Man of Honour
Question...

I'm updating my Ltd company website, one thing I was thinking of adding was a previous clients section on the front page with company name and logo. I don't see anything wrong with that, I mean, legally it's fine right as I have in fact contracted at those places.

Caporegime
Question...

I'm updating my Ltd company website, one thing I was thinking of adding was a previous clients section on the front page with company name and logo. I don't see anything wrong with that, I mean, legally it's fine right as I have in fact contracted at those places.

Read you contracts. They may well prohibit the use of client names and logos in advertisements and client lists except where the company grants express permission in advance.

You should always ask permission anyway. It’s bad business manners to advertise that someone was your client without prior permission. It would be like putting someone down as a reference without asking first.

Man of Honour
Read you contracts. They may well prohibit the use of client names and logos in advertisements and client lists except where the company grants express permission in advance.

You should always ask permission anyway. It’s bad business manners to advertise that someone was your client without prior permission. It would be like putting someone down as a reference without asking first.

Yeah that's a very good point. I did have a look at my contracts and nothing there, but will send over an email to my contacts and see what they say, shouldn't be a problem. Not like they are government organisations or anything that was top secret :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Had the mock interview Sunday with my cousin over video, was really helpful and to my surprise she spent hours drafting up notes and questions for it :eek:

She's worked for this company before as a project manager so knew things like what this sector looks for, what I should be focusing on and what kind of answers to give by referencing my past technical lead projects and stuff I've managed plus how to turn a potentially negative answer into a positive one like if asked about a process that I am not familiar with, use the answer I give to be transparent about that fact but refer to past roles where similar processes have been used to good effect and that learning a new process for the new role isn't an issue. The actual interview was this morning and overall it went well I think. Both the director and manager in the call were engaged throughout and referenced previous answers when asking further questions later, I think that showed strong interest.

The director said it was a fascinating talk (it overran to 1hr 15 mins!) at the end and the manager as it turns out is someone I worked with many many years ago when my technical career started so that's a small world for sure lol. Both seemed like great people.

They have other people being interviewed too so was told to hang tight as it might take a bit of time but I should hear back soon.

I am confident in how it all went and my suitability for the role and organisation as a whole seems perfect after today's conversation, but you never know, one of the other candidates might be even better! Although I'm 20 mins walk away with 8 years+ of field experience in that sector as a bonus with lengthy experience in dealing with people of all walks so there is that :o

Soldato
I'm in the final stages of writing a report to present to Senior Management, which provides evidence that investing in a certain technology could help the business reduce it's working capital by 27% and other 7 figure savings across Manufacturing, Supply Chain and our Retail channels globally.

Looking forward to sending it out but also nervous on what the response is going to be!

Soldato
Release for the big thing we've been working on is this Tuesday! Valorant. https://beta.playvalorant.com/en-us/

Been constant work for about the last 18 months or so on the infrastructure side, probably the most interesting project I've worked on, although - the last 3-4 months have been a bit weird... Trying to build and deploy a free to play competitive FPS shooter, at hyper-scale - with the entire workforce working from home. It's been as interesting as it has been challenging and frightening.. That combined with how Covid has delayed my L-1 VISA to the US, has kinda gotten be down a bit, but hopefully all the things will smooth out soon..

Hoping to get some of my life back in the next weeks months, provided everything goes smoothly from our side..

Then I need to work at reducing the size of my gut :|

Back
Top Bottom