We're all organ doners now...

Caporegime
yes and anyone who needs a transplant because of life choices like me smoking, or people who abuse drugs/achohol should be refused from being on it entirely

also it should be seperate funding from the NHS only funded by people on the list.
Hang on, are you saying transplants should be funded by the patients that need them :confused:

Soldato
Is it callous of me to think that if you opt out you shouldn’t be able to benefit should the need of transplant arise for you?

Soldato
Really surprised this isn't bigger news - I didn't know about it until a friend told me.

Good stuff though! Helps all the lazy sods that intend to do it but don't do it (I only say this because I dragged my feet for years before finally spending the minute or two it took to opt in :p)

Caporegime
Will the organs just be for the NHS use or will they be able to sell them to the highest bidder? if the latter I'd be concerned how much time and resources were being put into it at the detriment of operations which save lives.

Soldato
I've opted out mainly for some of the reasons above. It might be paranoia, but if most of the country is still in I'm not really causing an issue. I'd like to think I shouldn't need any organs as I don't smoke and don't drink thatuch and none of my family have health issues.

Man of Honour
I used to carry a donor card so I've no objection to being opted in by default. If I would like to receive an organ then it's only fair I make mine available. But due to cancer in 2011 I can't donate and stopped carrying a card. I assume they would still check medical history for opted in people?

Associate
I used to carry a donor card so I've no objection to being opted in by default. If I would like to receive an organ then it's only fair I make mine available. But due to cancer in 2011 I can't donate and stopped carrying a card. I assume they would still check medical history for opted in people?

They supposedly do before taking anything, but you never know with people, since their rules might change (like now) or have a looser definition (if things are scarce).

Soldato
also it should be seperate funding from the NHS only funded by people on the list.

A year on haemodialysis costs £30,000. A kidney transplant costs £30,000. A good kidney lasts for 20+ years. Kidney transplantation is a cost saving operation for any healthcare system. It is also a transformative operation in terms of quality and quantity of life. Economically it allows people to return to work. It’s an astonishing feat of modern science and carries enormous benefit.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I don’t want my organs turned into a kebab!

Opt-out is a great system though. Should be much more widespread.

Soldato
They supposedly do before taking anything, but you never know with people, since their rules might change (like now) or have a looser definition (if things are scarce).

The medical history of a donor is rigorously checked and there are very clear guidelines on risk of transmission of cancers from donor to recipient. Not all potential donors are suitable to proceed to donation sadly and the resource is scarce. It’s a hugely complex process and the guidelines regarding suitability of donors are not changing in the slightest. Safety is paramount.

Back
Top Bottom