LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
OP
Ouch, looks like LG messed up the 120 Hz BFI.

And the 4K/120 input lag is higher, and the VRR input lag quite a bit higher yet...

Looks like I will be sticking with my 38LG for the foreseeable future.

Associate
Wohoo damn im a happy chap right now. I got the C9 - 55 days ago, and the sucker was fauly. Have vertival lines all over the screen. The store was awesome as I had hoped - will send a new one and take back mine. The think is that just today - same day as the new C9 is beying shiped to me. They droped the price to exact BF levels. Guessing they will all be sold out pretty soon. I was so happy for the price I got but now it's all time low, as said BF - the lowes price. The thing is, I called em up and ask, what about me, and he responded: No problem, I will of course fix it for you. This is the best day ever. C9 is perfection and no downgrade as the CX seems to be :D
I couldent care less about the 120hz BFI crap, they can gladely keep it on the CX. I never use it on my PG279Q. All I want it g-sync, and thats the deal with these lovely LG OLEDS. And oh I also get the full HDMI 2.1 spec and DTS Decoding.

Gaming and movie will forever be changed with this Tv. What a time to be alive :)

Caporegime
Oh well, guess I'll skip this gen and wait for next year when after the consumer backlash they release new models without the compromises.

Last edited:
Associate
I read the reviews of the CX and they seem great. Its down to size for me 55 is too large to fully enjoy properly ( have tried it ). 48 should fit the bill fine especially with the new xbox and PS5 coming out. I think I will enjoy the new console generation for a while first.

Associate
rtings review is out

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

"The CX has a near-perfect response time, but unfortunately, motion still looks blurry. With the refresh rate at 120Hz, motion blur is noticeable in most content"

"This TV has a black frame insertion (BFI) feature to improve the appearance of motion. To turn it on, set TruMotion to 'User' and OLED Motion on 'High'. The 'Low' and 'Medium' settings offer less aggressive BFI, resulting in a brighter screen. When the TV is set to 120Hz, the BFI isn't timed well and causes duplication in motion"

Quite sad to read! I was hoping for better motion handling. Lets hope they fix it with an update.
That review's a bit odd. They mention the blurriness in the Response Time subsection then proceed to award it 9.9. A TV is built to display moving images, and you expect motion to be near perfect clarity with an expensive OLED.

Associate
That review's a bit odd. They mention the blurriness in the Response Time subsection then proceed to award it 9.9. A TV is built to display moving images, and you expect motion to be near perfect clarity with an expensive OLED.

Yes same with black frame insertion. They say "When the TV is set to 120Hz, the BFI isn't timed well and causes duplication in motion" and then give it a 10?

Associate
Does anyone know the difference between the two 48 inch models being released? The CX6LB and CX5LC? I can't seem to find a difference between the two other than the latter is £100 cheaper.

Caporegime
Rtings reviews are often a bit odd and often have inconsistencies in their verdicts and numeric ratings. As such, I do not regard them as a reference website.

Soldato
Wohoo damn im a happy chap right now. I got the C9 - 55 days ago, and the sucker was fauly. Have vertival lines all over the screen. The store was awesome as I had hoped - will send a new one and take back mine. The think is that just today - same day as the new C9 is beying shiped to me. They droped the price to exact BF levels. Guessing they will all be sold out pretty soon. I was so happy for the price I got but now it's all time low, as said BF - the lowes price. The thing is, I called em up and ask, what about me, and he responded: No problem, I will of course fix it for you. This is the best day ever. C9 is perfection and no downgrade as the CX seems to be :D
:)

care to share where from ?

Associate
Keeping my pre-order I think. The input lag is perfectly fine for me and after watching a few 4k videos of the 55" on tubes (hoping 48" is same performance), I didn't see a problem with blur on games and this was consoles where a lot of games use motion blur as a default or used to anyway.

Associate
Keeping my pre-order I think. The input lag is perfectly fine for me and after watching a few 4k videos of the 55" on tubes (hoping 48" is same performance), I didn't see a problem with blur on games and this was consoles where a lot of games use motion blur as a default or used to anyway.

In rtings review the motion blur was only a problem with 120hz. Consoles only work at 30/60fps. There's a good chance that the 120hz motion blur will be fixed with an update later on. Keeping your preorder seems fine. You can always return it if you're unhappy!

Caporegime
A lot of things that are mentioned in these cases are usually unnoticeable or only applicable in specific situations, but of course now that nowadays we ask for reviews of TV's in the most exhaustive of engineering-level detail we exaggerate the impact to the levels where all of a sudden such minor niggles are suddenly "unacceptable" to those who consider themselves knowledgeable enthusiasts. The fact is if you never heard about then you would likely never notice.

I am not saying it isn't good to have all the information, I am a man of science and in the end it is our hard-earned money that we want to mae sure we are spendng correctly, but I think that collectively we do develop a level of perfectionism in our expectations that is often unrealistic and in many cases not even necessary. It's easy to get carried away readig all of this stuff and I consider myself among those that sometimes do before I give myself a reality check. :)

Back
Top Bottom