• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1660 Super RMA'd - stick with NVidia or go AMD?

Associate
So my MSI 1660 Super has a faulty fan controller from new (2 weeks ago). MSI have asked me to RMA it after sending them some videos of benchmarking in GPU Z.
Thing is this was my first GPU for 6 years and I rushed into it. So now I am wondering whether to accept another 1660 or go AMD?
What's the most popular choice these days? I've been catching up and see that Intel have lost their way and AMD Ryzen is the dogs danglys these days. But what about GPU? AMD Drivers still awful? Or can AMD hardware and drivers be trusted these days?
TIA.

Associate
The problem you have is that both companies have new cards coming out in about 4 months time. For me it’s not a great time to by a graphics card.

Soldato
First, what eeii said above, second, both companies have their problems and strengths, and they vary depending on the user & setup so what I would look at if you must get a new one now, is what GPU regardless of the brand, offers the most rasterized performance for the money spent. The reason I said rasterized is because RT with touring(2000 series) is not going to be money well spent, for that you want ampere(3000 series) or maybe RDNA 2 but we don't know at this point.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with going for a 2nd round with the 1660 Super, it's a solid card for the money. I also wouldn't worry about new cards coming out this year, because it's at the end of the year and only the really expensive ones come out first. For a 1660 Super replacement I don't think it's less than a year out.

Personally, if I'd recommend something near that price, I'd say have a look at a 2060, because then you can also play around with RTX. Maybe that's worth something to you as well.

Associate
Just see how the replacement runs, cant be a dodgy fan controller in all of them.

My Gaming X has been faultless since December and in games i have not noticed any difference coming from the Vega 56 i had before it while running them at the same settings.

Be wise to keep the 1660 Super and upgrade from that when the new shiny cards come if that is something you're looking at doing, as resale is usually better with Nvidia than it is with AMD :)

Also its pretty easy to do a quick overclock on the 1660S and get it up to and sometimes better than the 1070/1660ti ;)

Guru3D GPU Shoot Out

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1660_super_gaming_x_review,26.html

Back
Top Bottom