• I have a landline and I have a phone plugged in

Votes: 33 44.0%
  • I have a landline but no phone plugged in

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • I do not have a landline

Votes: 19 25.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
No, ditched it when we got fibre to the house in newbuild. Don't even have copper cable run into the house. Haven't had a land-line phone plugged in since 2014 despite having a line in to houses until 2018.

Soldato
I flipped mine to Vonage and I think the only time I've used it is to call my mislaid mobile phone.

I should really cancel it but it's been my number for a long time now and all the family still use it as a last resort when they can't get hold of me :/

Associate
I only had a landline in my student digs during the first 2 years of university. That was Sep 1998 to Jun 2000. In Sep 2000, I got my first mobile (Nokia 5110 yay!) and been on mobiles ever since. So haven't had a landline for the past 20 years.

On a similar note, I've never had a TV, ever. Granted TV isn't that relevant these days, but I'm talking before 1998 and 1998 onwards when I left home. Before 1998, as child/teen, I never had a TV. Left home in 1998 and still never had a TV and just got used to not having one.

So you have never watched all the great tv series’s that everyone watches? What about news channels? And how do you spend all that time then? The average Joe watches several hours of tv a week for entertainment, news and education.

Genuinely intrigued...

Soldato
Yes, with a black Bakelite phone with a rotary dial. Younger visitors have no idea how to work it.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
My grandparents had a rotary phone right up until around 2005. Even when it got replaced by a push-button phone it was set to loop disconnect as opposed to DTMF mode! :D

Man of Honour
I have a landline and usually use it, but it's currently semi-broken. No calls in or out, broadband at ~800KBps. The fault will be outside as usual, probably the connection from the pole to my house since that's about as old as the telegraph system. 4 days after booking the engineer visit I find out that despite being given a time and date for the engineer visit that was a lie because landlines will not be repaired for customers who don't have a mobile phone. No matter where the fault is. They'll continue to charge me for the service, of course, but they won't provide it.

I'm not happy, neither at the new "no mobile no landline" policy nor at the fact that I wasn't even told that the appointment they offered me was fake. But there's nothing I can do apart from buy a mobile phone I don't want just for TalkTalk's benefit. I have no doubt they'll then try using it as a tool to advertise at me.

Permabanned
Had to get it to be able to buy broadband. Imagine walking into a shop and them saying you can't buy what you want unless you buy something else first. I have to block all incoming calls anyway coz constant spam.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
We have a land line but I unplugged the phone about 2 years ago. The only people calling me were asian trying to scam me.

Caporegime
I remember when I was at school in South Africa, we had these public phones which required a phone card to be topped up to be able to use. The phones themselves still used the old rotary protocol so all the card reader did was convert the button presses in to the signal that a rotary dial would use. We eventually discovered that by emulating the rotary dial inputs using the handset holder that we could make free calls.

Obviously nobody had phones back then so there was nobody to call, so we just spent the day phoning up other schools and playing pranks all day, until they sussed it and removed the phones.

Soldato
Could do with a poll really.
- I have a landline and i have a phone plugged in
- I have a landline but no phone plugged in
- I do not have a landline

We do technically have one cabled to the house, but don't even own a phone to plug in. Not had one in the last five years.

Like the majority on here, a landline phone seems to be a dying breed.

Soldato
If you live out in the sticks with patchy mobile coverage and sketchy internet that disappears when it rains, you need a landline. Just remember to keep an old school corded handset for when the power goes out.

Back
Top Bottom