Road Cycling

Soldato
long time no post in this thread..

think I need to get back on the bike! gyms closed etc I am starting to pack the wrong kind of mass and want to exercise again...

but me being me I cleared out and sold all 3 of my roadies last year :D obviously no-one can prepare for the mess we're in but I'm in the market for a roadie again, got most of my kit still around like my garmin 800, sensors, lights etc.

so just need a bike. Not too fussed on top spec etc so something midrange(tiagra/105) and up to 1k I'd say, I've narrowed it down to these 3 -;

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-fr40-road-bike-2019/?g=0
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-roc-disc-105-road-bike-114799.html
https://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-lombardia-105-road-bike-2020-189685.html

to be fair the sensa seems to be the best spec for what I am looking for, FELT would probably be just fine too which is why it's in the list. Merlin has good kit but I feel that is more of an all-around commuter rather than weekend/sunny day roadie and while I loved my disk brakes I simply have no need for them compared to before when I commuted rain/sun/snow in london.

any feedback on the above? or anything else to look into for 1k ish.

I need a medium size frame so a lot of bikes are out of stock sadly.

He's alive :o

Bikes are pretty slim pickings at the moment. Bunch of retailers put prices up to RRP where they were previously discounted too. Could also be worth checking Dolan bikes?

Also, Ribble seem to have increased in popularity a lot in recent years. I think mostly they just got a better handle on marketing but might be OK.

Soldato
He's alive :o

Bikes are pretty slim pickings at the moment. Bunch of retailers put prices up to RRP where they were previously discounted too. Could also be worth checking Dolan bikes?

Also, Ribble seem to have increased in popularity a lot in recent years. I think mostly they just got a better handle on marketing but might be OK.
haha yes still around..

yeah I can see that! crazy the demand but makes sense.

I have looked at dolan but would be spending 1500ish for a similar spec to Sensa.

Soldato
that's a lot of money for a rack. I've used a tortec for many years and it was a lot cheaper than that. Make sure you get one suitable for disc brakes if you have them

Soldato
Soldato
Hello guys

I have a bike I'm fixing up - a giant XL. Looking for a helmet to use. It'll be nothing serious, can spend up to £30-40 for a large size. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Caporegime
Hello guys

I have a bike I'm fixing up - a giant XL. Looking for a helmet to use. It'll be nothing serious, can spend up to £30-40 for a large size. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

I picked up a Giro Foray, for about that price. Maybe £50? I always find helmets are cheaper if you don't care about colour.

Decent enough for the price!

Soldato
I'm still using a Giro Savant that is past its best so I will probably pick up a Foray for that money. Hard to beat really.

Popped round to the shop to fill my seattube with fibergrip, adjusted the saddle forward a bit too as the hoods are mega long on hydro levers.

I need new shoes now as one of the cleat bolts is stripped, think I'll go with white this time and maybe a Specialized Torch. Need to wait to try them on as my previously broken foot has quite a bit of height to it vs the one that is ok.

Still feel crap too just riding around adjusting the bike, need to build up slowly.

Soldato
Hello guys

Thanks

Have a look on planet X. Get something for £20 easily enough.

Soldato
Lycra dudes - what padded shorts are good/is everyone using? I need to buy some. My ass was the inspiration for the famous Queen song about cycling so they need to accommodate. Sadly despite all the natural padding I still require more for longer rides.

In other news I am actually getting out on my bike and it’s been brilliant. Want to try to do a couple of 50 mile rides over the summer without feeling half dead.

Thanks for your help!

Man of Honour
Lycra dudes - what padded shorts are good/is everyone using? I need to buy some. My ass was the inspiration for the famous Queen song about cycling so they need to accommodate. Sadly despite all the natural padding I still require more for longer rides.

In other news I am actually getting out on my bike and it’s been brilliant. Want to try to do a couple of 50 mile rides over the summer without feeling half dead.

Thanks for your help!

I use either my Planet X365 bib shorts or some Skins A400 legging with chamois thing... Basically as cheap as possible with a decentish pad.

Soldato

Thanks for your help!

What's your budget? You can spend £25 to £250 on a pair of shorts.

Soldato
First half decent eBike ride yesterday. It's an interesting ride. I do wonder if I should have gotten a Road eBike, rather than a Hybrid, but then I need to remind myself it's for transport, not fitness/clocking miles up. Yes, you get some assistance going up inclines, but on flats it's harder work, so I think it balances out. I'm definitely slower, on the eBike, but then I'm taking it easier, so I guess that makes sense. Segments are interesting, some uphill I couldn't get close to PR's from the Canyon, a big incline in Cuffley I was out of the seat and went for it and did just shave off the PR (live segments on my Wahoo, they don't track on Strava as eBikes have separate segments) and another longish one into Essendon, I wasn't paying attention, filming bits and pieces and then realised I basically equalled my best from the Canyon.

UgUtawYh.jpg

Soldato
So unfortunately bit of an accident the other day, unfortunately I don't remember a lot about what happened but spent 7 hours in A+E on Wednesday night fixing up my face! Pretty sure I rode into car but I cannot remember events before during and partially after the situation. I did try to ride home and got about a mile before realising it wasn't possible and managed to find someone walking by who lived near so I could sit in his garden and wait to get picked up.

Bike is written off so it was fairly substantial and Strava looks to be about 17mph to 0 and a good 12 minute period that I don't remember a single second of.

TayxLUg.jpg
dV4dVUS.jpg

If you're squeamish with blood don't look at these.
qmDkhDv.jpg
Dl2xJ6x.jpg

Somehow apart from a few aches elsewhere and a knocked knee, I'm actually unscathed looks like I landed on my face! but at least both my eyes are still working. I'm going to survey the area tomorrow to try to figure out what I've done if possible.

Back
Top Bottom