Football and the Coronavirus

Soldato
If season is finished as normal with all games played it won't as every one played same.

If it ends early and were awarded it then I'd agree

it will though as teams have had their rythmn broken, the duff deams have had time to nurse their crocked players back into health and work on the tactics and opposition analysis etc. It's like getting half way through the African campaign in WWII and then letting the Germans have a month to work out their response.

Don
Of the 6 positive tests we know that 1 was Burnley's assistant manager, 2 Watford staff and 1 Warford player. So at least half the positives have been staff which is shocking when you consider that staff probably only make up 20% of the tests being carried out. I'd have hoped that staff would have been following social distancing guidelines more than players have been too.

The only possible explanation that I can think of is that staff at some clubs may not have been given the same treatment by clubs that players have in terms of doing their shopping etc and helping them to not leave their homes.

Associate
Of the 6 positive tests we know that 1 was Burnley's assistant manager, 2 Watford staff and 1 Warford player. So at least half the positives have been staff which is shocking when you consider that staff probably only make up 20% of the tests being carried out. I'd have hoped that staff would have been following social distancing guidelines more than players have been too.

The only possible explanation that I can think of is that staff at some clubs may not have been given the same treatment by clubs that players have in terms of doing their shopping etc and helping them to not leave their homes.

Agreed, they really need to look into that. They should all be fully isolating so as not to bring the virus into the clubs protective bubble. I'm hoping there's no conspracy if most positives are at clubs who don't want to restart....

Don
Agreed, they really need to look into that. They should all be fully isolating so as not to bring the virus into the clubs protective bubble. I'm hoping there's no conspracy if most positives are at clubs who don't want to restart....
I'm fairly sure Watford staff haven't been sneaking into hospitals and licking corona patients.

I'd hope that all PL clubs have the ability to provide all players and coaching staff with groceries and everything they need (so that they weren't having to go out to stores etc) but it's possible that at some smaller PL clubs that they're not quite as geared up for this or were just complacent. Maybe all the focus was on the players and clubs just didn't think to offer these services to staff and or some older staff were less willing to ask or want these things done for them. It's the norm for players to have everything done for them at the best of times, especially at the biggest clubs, I doubt it's quite so common for Burnley's backroom staff to phone the club and ask them to bring over some marmite.

Maybe it's just a coincidence but if there is a link then hopefully this is the kick up the arse some clubs need to make sure coaching staff are protected as much as possible too.

Soldato
This title win will always have a question mark against it now whether they finish the season or not.

Nah, if it was only about the title winner, we could have called it about a month before we stopped. Liverpool get the trophy and Liverpool fans will laugh long and hard at those who question it.

Relegation and European places... hmmm. Not quite so much.

Caporegime

More than likely Watford staff have wives and children and wives that have to work real jobs. It's a lot easier for a footballer to self isolate for weeks on end with their trophy wife. A large majority of staff will be on normal wages.

Soldato
This title win will always have a question mark against it now whether they finish the season or not.
It'll only have a question mark in the eyes of the most bitter and petty Liverpool hating opposition fans.

Anyone with half an ounce of sense is perfectly willing to accept at this point that they're not going to lose a 25 point lead (or 22 if you assume City win their game in hand) with a maximum of 27 points left up for grabs.

Don
More than likely Watford staff have wives and children and wives that have to work real jobs. It's a lot easier for a footballer to self isolate for weeks on end with their trophy wife. A large majority of staff will be on normal wages.
I assume the staff that have been tested are members of the first team coaching setup. They're all likely to be earning big money, certainly compared to the average wage.

Caporegime
I assume the staff that have been tested are members of the first team coaching setup. They're all likely to be earning big money, certainly compared to the average wage.

You telling me grounds keepers etc and security etc are on decent wages? The ground needs to be up to standards as well as the building before the team can even go anywhere near it.

Don
You telling me grounds keepers etc and security etc are on decent wages? The ground needs to be up to standards as well as the building before the team can even go anywhere near it.
No, what I'm saying is that I don't believe that any of these staff are being tested as they're not coming into contact with players, coaches & medical teams. Clubs are limited to a maximum of 40 tests each and when you consider clubs have around 30 man squads + coaching and medical teams, it doesn't leave much opportunity to test other staff. It was actually reported the other week that some clubs weren't happy with the 40 tests limit as it didn't allow them to bring their entire backroom team into the training ground. It's possible that some clubs with smaller squads and backroom staff have used their allocation to test non footballing staff as well but I'm pretty sure it's not the case throughout the league.

Training grounds will be running on skeleton staff with little more than a couple of security guards (who should have no reason to come into contact with players) and groundsmen (who can work before and after players train) around. IINM training will all be done outside and if any players do use gym areas then it's on an individual basis and they're responsible for cleaning the equipment after it's been used - there won't be staff on hand, either coaches or cleaning staff.

Back
Top Bottom