Homemade Energy Bars / Balls / Snacks?

Permabanned
Anyone here make there own to take on a ride with them rather than buying the likes of Veloforte, Trek bars and Clif bars etc?

Interested in making my own if anyone has any recipes/ideas on what keeps well and stays together?

Soldato
I like the Hugh fearnley energy bars but usually swap out all the sugar and artificial for peanut butter and coconut oil. Haven't got the link to hand though.

Permabanned
OP
I like the Hugh fearnley energy bars but usually swap out all the sugar and artificial for peanut butter and coconut oil. Haven't got the link to hand though.

Will give making some of these a go, they look good. Cheers

just make a smoothie - that way you can make it as natural as possible

Looking for things to eat on the bike rather than before or after. I eat well beforehand but it's always nice in this weather to have a little break and a snack.

Caporegime
Will give making some of these a go, they look good. Cheers

Looking for things to eat on the bike rather than before or after. I eat well beforehand but it's always nice in this weather to have a little break and a snack.

why can't you have a smoothie on the bike?

also you can make your own from rolled oats, honey, peanut butter, nuts and seeds. it's not that hard and mentioned above coconut oil will help bind it together too if you want to go easy on the honey. sultanas and raisins, raw cacao nibs, goji berries. basically you can pretty much put anything you want into them once you have the basics in there.

youtube is literally overloaded with receipes.

Soldato
Packing a smoothie for a ride, that'll go well! :rolleyes:

I've made quite a few things, they always taste nice but I can never get the texture right. I try to make them 'stiff' like Clif Bars, but they come out very fragile and soft.

Soldato
I find Jelly Babies an easy way to get an energy fix on rides of ~90mins+, been using the Sainsburys packs simply because they seemed to be the cheapest source to buy in a local store (~85p for 225g bag).

IIRC your body can process ~60g of carbs per hour, which is just over 12 of above.

Soldato
Xanthan Gum seems to help with that, it is a balancing act though, trying not to overload with dry slow burn ingredients but trying not to pack them full of sugar.

Permabanned
OP

also you can make your own from rolled oats, honey, peanut butter, nuts and seeds. it's not that hard and mentioned above coconut oil will help bind it together too if you want to go easy on the honey. sultanas and raisins, raw cacao nibs, goji berries. basically you can pretty much put anything you want into them once you have the basics in there.

Wouldn't have a smoothie on the bike simply because by the time I come to drink it then it's likely to be warm and I'd prefer to drink one at home cold instead. Personal preference more than anything else. Plus energy bars I'd say keep longer, pack better and can be made more calorie dense.

Soldato

What is wrong with you?

Soldato
@OP I made my own last year. I fuelled a 2 day, 100 mile bike ride almost solely off them except for breakfast and dinner on the first day.

Basically these https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...Q#v=onepage&q=ross edgley energy ball&f=false

They actually worked really well.

However, it's quite a hassle especially blending the dates. Also, far more expensive than just buying things like these which I now just buy by the box load instead and are just as good https://www.aldi.co.uk/paleo-bars/p/071261204489703

Caporegime
What is wrong with you?

Nothing. What is wrong with you?

I have a smoothie on most days and I keep it cold using ice packs or you can always use frozen fruit, etc.

Also youtube us literally littered with recipes.

I use YouTube on at least a couple of occasions per week for them.

Im pretty sure if you type cycling and either energy or snacks into YouTube it will pretty much tell you all you need to know within 5 minutes.

Smoothies are known to be quick energy and healthy. They are also the easiest snack to make.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Check out a book called the plant based cyclist from GCN, A nice coffee table book but the healthy flapjack recipe is fantastic.

Oats
Coconut oil
Bannana
Honey or that Agave nonsence
Mixed nuts and fruit.
Brown Sugar

Also mednojal dates + Cashew nuts, salt and some vanilla essence all in food processor is very tasty.

Soldato
Nothing. What is wrong with you?

I have a smoothie on most days and I keep it cold using ice packs or you can always use frozen fruit, etc.

Also youtube us literally littered with recipes.

I use YouTube on at least a couple of occasions per week for them.

Im pretty sure if you type cycling and either energy or snacks into YouTube it will pretty much tell you all you need to know within 5 minutes.

Smoothies are known to be quick energy and healthy. They are also the easiest snack to make.
Ah yes let me just pack a smoothie and an ice box for my bike rides :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom