Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Today was probably the warmest day I've ran so far, definitely not pleasant!

I do wonder at what point shin splints are meant to go away though, not really easing up and almost too scared to take time off in case I'll fall off the running bandwagon.

Soldato
Today was probably the warmest day I've ran so far, definitely not pleasant!

I do wonder at what point shin splints are meant to go away though, not really easing up and almost too scared to take time off in case I'll fall off the running bandwagon.

Do they hurt on the run or afterwards?

A rest would definitely be a good call, otherwise, try stopping after about a mile and then stretching your calves/shins. I always found that helped me. Plus it gets you out of the speed mindset as you accept your total time will include a few minutes stretching.

I know what you mean about the heat. I went out yesterday and had to stop and walk part of the return loop. Just felt absolutely dead and a bit light headed. PI only thought it was around 18C but turns out it was more like 27C and i went out a bit tired and dehydrated anyway.

Soldato
How often are you running?

Every other day, so works out 3 to 4 runs every week, apart from trying that 10k last week, it's all 5k runs.

Do they hurt on the run or afterwards?

A rest would definitely be a good call, otherwise, try stopping after about a mile and then stretching your calves/shins. I always found that helped me. Plus it gets you out of the speed mindset as you accept your total time will include a few minutes stretching.

I know what you mean about the heat. I went out yesterday and had to stop and walk part of the return loop. Just felt absolutely dead and a bit light headed. PI only thought it was around 18C but turns out it was more like 27C and i went out a bit tired and dehydrated anyway.

Hurt during and after, first few hundred meters I basically run like an old man while they warm up properly as the pain is pretty bad. They do ease up after so can't be that stress fracture I was worried about, as apparently it gets worse as you run if it's that.

Already stopped trying to increase my times and just run as figured I need to build up proper strength in my legs, as my calves always seem to be struggling. I do need to put proper effort into losing weight too as that's one of the reasons they are struggling.

Soldato
To be fair, after first KM and I'm actually ok. It's before and after that really hurts and pain is pretty localised to one spot on both legs, not across the whole shin so basically feels like the old days when you'd get a good kick in the shin during football.

Soldato
To be fair, after first KM and I'm actually ok. It's before and after that really hurts and pain is pretty localised to one spot on both legs, not across the whole shin so basically feels like the old days when you'd get a good kick in the shin during football.
I'd definitely give yourself an extra day or more between runs for a few months first.

Soldato
The sensible way is basically to do the exact opposite and forget about a fast 5k time while you train. Your runs should be easy and enjoyable at this stage. Over time you can start adding some faster runs, but you are better off doing things like fartleks, hill repeats and intervals than simply running 5km. After a few months take a fee days off running and then go and time a 5km. Maybe a park run by then.

speed in running comes from a large volume of easy aerobic running. Injuries come from trying to race every run.

Build volume, be patient. Many of the required changes will take 6 months to appear. Doing too much soon risks injury and burnout.

Thanks for the advice. I will slow it down for a while. :)

If I'm being honest, I don't enjoy running but I enjoy competing (even if it's with myself) which is why I've just been trying to get the best time I can. How often would you suggest going for a new PR?

I'm running twice a week at the moment.

Caporegime
Thanks for the advice. I will slow it down for a while. :)

If I'm being honest, I don't enjoy running but I enjoy competing (even if it's with myself) which is why I've just been trying to get the best time I can. How often would you suggest going for a new PR?

I'm running twice a week at the moment.

if you are only running twice a week i wouldn't do anything fast and time soon. By dar your biggest bang for buck training change will be to increase volume.

I wouldn't bother with a timed race more than once a month.
set some better goals like running the same pace with a lower Heart rate, or similar a faster pace for the same heart rate. That will indicate your fitness improvements. Once a month time yourself on a fixed route.

TBH, running is very different to sports like cycling and swimming. Very hard efforts don't yield big returns, and have a high risk. Also, the optimal training means your legs get quite fatigued and it can be hard to realize your potential without a good taper (2-3 weeks of gradually reducing running). But if you do that you frequently you miss out on training and will loose fitness
. So runners tend to race less than in other sports, especially sd the distance increases. e.g. 1-2 marathons a year. I go 6 months without racing just slowly building fitness, without a good idea how fast i really am until race day.
This has a big sense of achievement because your new PR is the product of 6 months hard work.

For sure as a beginner you will get new PRs quite regularly, but it is useful to get in the mindset of s long, slow gradual, patient build up

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Long run day... Really hard work struggled from the off, legs felt empty with nothing in tank struggled to 5k and had to Quoff a gel !! Picked me up to continue the run but 2hrs i can normally run a half not today only 17k.

Cream crackered now.

Soldato
if you are only running twice a week i wouldn't do anything fast and time soon. By dar your biggest bang for buck training change will be to increase volume.

I wouldn't bother with a timed race more than once a month.
set some better goals like running the same pace with a lower Heart rate, or similar a faster pace for the same heart rate. That will indicate your fitness improvements. Once a month time yourself on a fixed route.

TBH, running is very different to sports like cycling and swimming. Very hard efforts don't yield big returns, and have a high risk. Also, the optimal training means your legs get quite fatigued and it can be hard to realize your potential without a good taper (2-3 weeks of gradually reducing running). But if you do that you frequently you miss out on training and will loose fitness
. So runners tend to race less than in other sports, especially sd the distance increases. e.g. 1-2 marathons a year. I go 6 months without racing just slowly building fitness, without a good idea how fast i really am until race day.
This has a big sense of achievement because your new PR is the product of 6 months hard work.

For sure as a beginner you will get new PRs quite regularly, but it is useful to get in the mindset of s long, slow gradual, patient build up

Thanks, buddy. Really good information!

Soldato
Been running lots since lockdown like everyone else no doubt. Enjoying listening to audiobooks and using Strava. Hit a 5K PB yesterday of 20.55 which killed me.

However, I’m really disappointed Strava have made all the good things that were once free (leaderboards/segments) now part of the subscription package. Really poor on their part as it’s been free for so long.

Anyone know any decent alternative with similar segments/leaderboard features? Although I guess the user base dictates how good these things are.

Soldato
Yeah I’ve thought that. As you say user base dictates how good things are and no matter what app people use to record their runs it usually ends up in Strava.

I miss the breakdown in the “You” section which compares this month to last month most of all.

It’ll be interesting to see if it works for them and they get loads of new subscribers or if it inspires an exodus.

Soldato
Also I’ve recently been trying different socks for longer runs as I’ve had a few blisters recently which I don’t usually get.

Ordered some of the Injinji socks which work like gloves with toe separators. Was really excited to try them but they don’t really work if you have pathetic toes like me! Especially on my little toe so there’s so much spare material it feels it’ll cause more rubbing than it saves.

Associate
I've started doing more running since lockdown like the rest of the world.

Two quick questions that I thought would be appropriate to ask here;

1 - I am going to buy a heart rate monitor strap. Will I be able to sync this via Bluetooth at the same time as syncing Bluetooth headphones to my phone? My phone is a Google Pixel 3. From a bit of Google research I believe I can but figured I'd get a trustworthy and quick answer here!

2 - Any recommendations for a running armband that can hold a Google Pixel 3? I've looked on Amazon but the views are so varied and it's hard to tell how many are genuine versus Chinese bots.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
You should be fine with the bluetooth and HRM. If getting a new HRM try and find one that is duel ANT+ and BLE might pay off dividends in the long run even though you may not need it now.

Cant help on the armband front though.

Soldato
I definitely need to start hydrating more with the weather picking up, today was the first time I had to briefly stop to walk since I started running non stop exactly a month ago.

Had a massive stitch half way through and just couldn't get my breath right so needed a quick breather.

Back
Top Bottom