• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Comet Lake S review thread

Soldato
Am I still right in saying then at 4K a 6700k @ 4.5ghz with a 2080ti is still ok, I play with v-sync on at 60fps on a 4K TV.

I'm safe for another generation still?

I won't see any benefit gaming-wise while at 60fps. Hopefully, we get some nice benchmarks when Cyberpunks comes out with 4K in it. I no the difference disappears but its nice to see to actually see some numbers haha

There are games using more than 4 cores these days though, even at 4K.

Associate
Am I still right in saying then at 4K a 6700k @ 4.5ghz with a 2080ti is still ok, I play with v-sync on at 60fps on a 4K TV.

I won't see any benefit gaming-wise while at 60fps. Hopefully, we get some nice benchmarks when Cyberpunks comes out with 4K in it. I no the difference disappears but its nice to see to actually see some numbers haha

I had the same setup... 6700k at 4.5, 2080 ti @2.1, 4k TV. I found it mostly great, but the CPU was tapping out at 100% in some areas of AC Odyssey and dropping the frame rate (GPU often only 70 or 80 percent at those times). OC to 4.8 on the 6700k did seem to improve it significantly, but I wrecked the processor (not from the OC) before being able to test in depth. So there definitely are some scenarios in some games where the CPU limits you even at 4K.

Soldato
OP

Your CPU is probably fine,and I would wait to see how Zen3 pans out.

Soldato
I had the same setup... 6700k at 4.5, 2080 ti @2.1, 4k TV. I found it mostly great, but the CPU was tapping out at 100% in some areas of AC Odyssey and dropping the frame rate (GPU often only 70 or 80 percent at those times). OC to 4.8 on the 6700k did seem to improve it significantly, but I wrecked the processor (not from the OC) before being able to test in depth. So there definitely are some scenarios in some games where the CPU limits you even at 4K.

The last two AC games love 6 and 8 core CPUs
, anything less is pushing luck

Soldato
Out of interest has any review actually suggested anywhere that the i5 10600k is worth buying? Everywhere seems to suggest that the 3600 beats it on price and the 3700x destroys it on performance.
Even Leo was highly critical with 'do not buy this chip'.

Associate
Out of interest has any review actually suggested anywhere that the i5 10600k is worth buying? Everywhere seems to suggest that the 3600 beats it on price and the 3700x destroys it on performance.
Even Leo was highly critical with 'do not buy this chip'.

Eurogamer has a bit more favourable spin on it, notwithstanding already made comments on their cooler misalignment when comparing to Amd

Soldato
OP
Yes, but also no.

That review is laughable,and makes you wonder about the reviewers own bias. You might wonder why I say this - his channel is predominantly for SFF PCs,but he seems to brush the power consumption of the Core i5 10600K under the carpet.

As any one who builds SFF rigs nows(and I have only used such systems for over 10 years),power consumption is important due to heat production. He is telling people to buy a Core i5 10600K,although it is £140 more than a Ryzen 5 3600,needs better motherboards,and consumes significantly more power than a Ryzen 5 3600,and needs a better cooler on top of this. He is also running a RTX2080TI at 1080p,but seems to not understand,that you are probably looking at nearly £200 extra for the Core i5 based system. That is literally the difference between a RX5600XT and a RTX2070 Super,or a GTX1660 non-Super and a RX5700XT.

Also,if you look at the AT review,the Core i5 10600K at stock consumes around 56% more power,ie,nearly 50W more,and with any MCE left in place even more power. So that means you need to budget for better case fans,a better PSU,etc.

Edit!!

I am not criticising the Core i5 10600K in general as I think it has decent performance,but for a SFF system I wouldn't buy it personally.

Soldato
OP
A lot of the reviews I've watched focus purely on 1080p with a 2080ti... C'mon reviewers.

TBF it is a solid performer,but seriously a person who has a channel dedicated to SFF builds,is ignoring the power consumption. Even the Phanteks case he was using is known to be hit and miss when it comes to thermals. Even the Ryzen 7 3700X consumes less power too.

Incredibly poor advice IMHO.

Christ it's near double the price of the r5 how are they comparable O_O

I presume you get a cooler with the 10600k too so at least that keeps the cost down

In a mini-ITX system too,where power consumption and heat are considerations. The KF series don't come with a cooler.

So not only will you need to manage the extra heat,but there is lots of added costs.

Soldato
Christ it's near double the price of the r5 how are they comparable O_O

I presume you get a cooler with the 10600k too so at least that keeps the cost down

You do not get a cooler no.
Although some places did seem to test intel using 3600mm rads against amd on their stock coolers, interesting comparison.

Soldato
The z490 motherboard prices alone are putting many off these new 10th gen cpu's. I would at least think about getting one, but holy crap have mobo prices silly af. Especially during these trying times

Associate
I'm being daft but there's the germ of a sensible point in there. Everywhere is comparing the prices excluding the fact that you need a cooler with the 10900, I wonder how it would perform with a £30 air cooler?

Associate
10600k at 5ghz pretty easy to do maybe even at stock Vcore is a mega gaming cpu tbh, even vs the 3600/3600X it’s right up on productivity.

Soldato

A friend tried going 6700k to 9900KS to stop the 100%ing of Odyssey. 5.3ghz all core and it still hits 100% in the same areas. Only solution is turn volumetric clouds from ultra to very high (it looks the same). 10900k will be the same, you might get the GPU to run at 95%+ most of the time though.

Back
Top Bottom