• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
With 3970X, 2080Ti and all the rest of it I'd be looking at 1000W minimum. I have the Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W Platinum and I'd not want to be using less than that tbh. At 750W you're dancing on the edge imo. If you have any more issues with powering off, or other strange issues I'd start with the PSU.

Associate
Not sure I'd agree with that statement requiring 1000w (unless heavily overclocking) I'm pulling slightly less than 600w under full load on my system and that includes router, monitor and speakers.

My system is running over 15hrs+ per day and I've not had any issues with power or crashing.

Soldato
Not sure I'd agree with that statement requiring 1000w (unless heavily overclocking) I'm pulling slightly less than 600w under full load on my system and that includes router, monitor and speakers.

My system is running over 15hrs+ per day and I've not had any issues with power or crashing.

Are you counting full GPU as well as CPU load there? I'm seeing much more than that and I'm not overclocked. It was Gibbo who suggested to me 700W wasn't enough when I ordered my TR parts (and I saved money going for 1000W as it was on half price, so that wasn't the reason he said it either).

Associate
No, just full cpu load as I have nothing that requires load on GPU at the same time as cores (work stuff). If the 2080ti is on full bore gaming as well as full gpu load then yes I'd agree with you he could need more power.

I don't use full CPU load all the time, but just tested the load at 100% and it pulled 490w.

Associate
It’ll pay dividends.
Static power draw isn’t so much the problem as dynamic. Systems can’t change their state of charge instantly, especially with significant inductance in the power lines - it is after all an RF system masquerading as a digital one.

Associate
When I was h264 encoding plus running two cuda work loads on both 2080s I had installed I think I hit 900w according to my Corsair ICue software. That's as a close as I got to maxing out my 1000w PSU. I wouldn't feel too confident running a 750W PSU with a 3970X based system.

Man of Honour
Posting here as there isn't a TRX40 Strix thread in the motherboard section. The chipset fan is doing my head in to be honest, anything that can be done? Or does anyone know of a waterblock that will fit the chipset, or even a full board cover doing chipset and CPU?

Soldato
Posting here as there isn't a TRX40 Strix thread in the motherboard section. The chipset fan is doing my head in to be honest, anything that can be done? Or does anyone know of a waterblock that will fit the chipset, or even a full board cover doing chipset and CPU?

EK do one for the X570 Aorus Master, not sure if that would fit? They may do others...

Associate

Woah you can hear yours. What activity triggers the chipset fan to spin up and get loud?

Soldato

Fit a aftermarket chipset heat sink.

Associate
Re. cooling on TR, I always had my eye on the Enermax AIO as it offered full coverage and there are not many that AIO's that offer this....however with all the gunk problems and failing units it put me off.

Anyway, I asked them if the issues have now been resolved on their TR4 AIO coolers, they came back with this:

Hello,

Thank you for having Interest on Enermax Products.

All coolers you can buy today are without any problems.

Best Regards,

Sales/Technical Support

Interesting....

Soldato
Well I guess that seals the deal then, can't beat that kind of impartial confidence!:D

You mean to say, the people who want to sell it to me say that it's OK?! :D

shut+up+and+take+my+money.png

@ketma stay well away. The Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 cools well if you want to stay on air, and also has a full-coverage baseplate with a ton of heatpipes. It performs roughly on par with a good AIO (I see 55oC die temps under normal full loads, late 80s under power virus tests like RealBench and Prime). Plenty of posts in here will show you some good blocks if you want to go custom water.

Back
Top Bottom