Meanwhile in Hong Kong....

Caporegime
OP
We should just offer all Hong Kongers citizenship and ship off all of the Jeremy Corbyn voters as their replacements, that way everyone's happy about the system of government they're living under. The people of Hong Kong are more British spiritually than most Brits are today.

Caporegime
We should just offer all Hong Kongers citizenship and ship off all of the Jeremy Corbyn voters as their replacements, that way everyone's happy about the system of government they're living under. The people of Hong Kong are more British spiritually than most Brits are today.

You realise Singapore is more like what is realistically on offer from labour right (I’m not voting for them, nor really support them)?

What makes a spiritual Brit? Why can’t what that is defined as, change over time?

Soldato
Perfect time,world is occupied with covid.

Will be less protest due to covid.

State can demonise the protesters who do as people who do not care and are spreading covid,no doubt heavier sentences etc for doing so.

Win for china.
Feel for the people of Hong Kong.

Soldato
Perfect time,world is occupied with covid.

Will be less protest due to covid.

State can demonise the protesters who do as people who do not care and are spreading covid,no doubt heavier sentences etc for doing so.

Win for china.
Feel for the people of Hong Kong.
Precisely. Like many entities using the cover of Covid19 to implement dubious practices. (i. e. Hungary)

Having been to HK recently I understand their upset and frustration though ultimately they are part of China now and if it wasn't for the shameful practice of the British centries ago then they always would have been.

Best to appreciate the democracy they had and the dwindling amount they have now as soon it may all be gone.

Caporegime
Oh ****.

'Pompeo tells Congress Hong Kong is no longer autonomous from China.'

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement Wednesday that he has certified to Congress that Hong Kong is no longer autonomous from China and does not warrant special treatment under U.S. law.

Why it matters: Revoking Hong Kong's special status would hasten its economic and financial decline, already set in motion by China's growing political grip on the city. The preferential status that the U.S. has long granted Hong Kong has made the city a top U.S. trading partner.

The big picture: The Chinese Communist Party last week unveiled a sweeping new security law that will criminalize sedition, foreign influence and secession in Hong Kong. The move and the subsequent reaction from the U.S. has put the once semi-autonomous city's status as one of Asia's largest financial hubs at risk.

Trump's administration just threw Hong Kong under the bus.

Permabanned
Caporegime
Honestly, it's not that surprising.

But what I really want to know is what exactly was everyone going to do come 2047?

There's only two working assumptions that make sense, Beijing continuing the agreement out of it's "goodwill" or it wouldn't have. It obviously no longer matters now as the treaty is functionally inoperable, but I just never see this being discussed in the media, I don't get why it's somehow unimportant when it's a major part of the treaty.

Caporegime
OP
Trump is, but everyone is having a pop at Trump for doing so

Most of the people in the Trump thread would side with Xi Jinping over Trump even though he has appointed himself dictator for life and been throwing his citizens into camps just because they're Muslim.

Oh is he now? What's his families holdings in China currently?

I'm sure if he had any the Democratic supporting corporate media would be giving us 24/7 coverage and it doesn't make much sense to be launching a trade war against a country where you have assets, do you really think if he does the Chinese communist regime don't know about it and won't pass the information on?

On the other hand Joe Biden's son has received some big payouts from the bank of China but like Obamagate and his Ukraine dealings don't expect the corporate media to talk about it.

Back
Top Bottom