The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
ok, what am I drinking: 20 questions to ID the whisky. I'll give yes/no answers only. Go.
20. Scottish? Yes
19. is it a Speyside? Yes
18. are supermarkets likely to stock it? Yes
17. price range <= £50? Yes.
16. Sherry cask? No
Does the distillery have Glen in the name?
15. Does the distillery have Glen in the name? No

Is that a yes or no to sherry cask?
I'll let you off that being no 14 and say see above ;)

Just finished off my Glen Moray cider cask project bottle. Really nice, hints of cider and prefect for hot weather. I don't usually drink whiskey in the summer but this one was prefect.
interesting I might see if I can source a sample of that to try.

Soldato
ok, what am I drinking: 20 questions to ID the whisky. I'll give yes/no answers only. Go.
20. Scottish? Yes
16. Sherry cask? No
Is the distillery owned by Diageo?
14. Is the distillery owned by Diageo? Yes

Soldato
20. Scottish? Yes
16. Sherry cask? No
Unless your supermarkets have a much better range than mine I think I've narrowed it down to a couple. Is it a Cardhu?
13. Is it a Cardhu? No.

Man of Honour
The three Octomores arrived. Initial thoughts are that two are delish and one is a massive dud! I’ll spend a bit more time with them and post my thoughts soon :)

Soldato
20. Scottish? Yes
16. Sherry cask? No
13. Is it a Cardhu? No.
Is it NAS?
12. Is it NAS? (assuming that means no-age statement) No.

Soldato
20. Scottish? Yes
16. Sherry cask? No
13. Is it a Cardhu? No.
Is it within 5 miles of Craigellachie?
11. Is it within 5 miles of Craigellachie? No

Associate
It can't be Dalwhinnie as that comes under highland, despite also being in the Speyside region. Singleton is the only other one that I see in supermarkets, so I'll go with that, is it a Singleton?

Soldato
20. Scottish? Yes
16. Sherry cask? No
13. Is it a Cardhu? No.
It can't be Dalwhinnie as that comes under highland, despite also being in the Speyside region. Singleton is the only other one that I see in supermarkets, so I'll go with that, is it a Singleton?
10. Is it a Singleton? No

Soldato
You must have a fancy supermarket.

possibly - we're online only atm so it's a bit skewed but there is also the London factor, I have noticed when we're staying with our family up there that supermarkets north of the border (and indeed in the North of England) don't have nearly the same range of variety of products across many categories, not just whisky. It is commonly available from supermarket sites though, and standard online shops, no need to go to a whisky merchant or anything like that. I received another bottle of it this week as I've nearly finished the current one and have developed a soft spot for it over this lockdown period. (not too soft a spot before anyone worries)

Associate
possibly - we're online only atm so it's a bit skewed but there is also the London factor, I have noticed when we're staying with our family up there that supermarkets north of the border (and indeed in the North of England) don't have nearly the same range of variety of products across many categories, not just whisky. It is commonly available from supermarket sites though, and standard online shops, no need to go to a whisky merchant or anything like that. I received another bottle of it this week as I've nearly finished the current one and have developed a soft spot for it over this lockdown period. (not too soft a spot before anyone worries)
Never seen them in supermarkets here but there are another couple of options I can think of that might potentially be. Knockando?

Soldato
20. Scottish? Yes
16. Sherry cask? No
13. Is it a Cardhu? No.
10. Is it a Singleton? No
Never seen them in supermarkets here but there are another couple of options I can think of that might potentially be. Knockando?
09. Knockando? Yes

Back
Top Bottom