• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK AMD Renoir review thread

Caporegime
Ideapad 5i 15" with the 4800U and the 100% sRGB display. Was silly cheap for the spec.
The design and build quality look fantastic and it has USB-C power delivery... it's amazing what you can get fr the money nowadays. Does it have a full size SD card reader or is it MicroSD?

Associate
It a very impressive CPU I'm just staggered that AMD who have made both CPUs and GPUs for well over a decade haven't yet cracked this market. They should really be owning it and combining their CPUs and GPUs to make a single package that is too good to say no to. I guess competing against two giants simultaneously is a bit of a stretch when your R&D budget is pitiful in comparison. Hopefully they'll be doing that very soon with the new power efficiency they've achieved.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It a very impressive CPU I'm just staggered that AMD who have made both CPUs and GPUs for well over a decade haven't yet cracked this market. They should really be owning it and combining their CPUs and GPUs to make a single package that is too good to say no to. I guess competing against two giants simultaneously is a bit of a stretch when your R&D budget it pitiful in comparison. Hopefully they'll be doing that very soon with the new power efficiency they've achieved.
They have not been competitive in performance for the last decade, combined with much less funding than Intel. However, with the Zen2/RDNA2 architecture breakthrough all of this will change within the next couple of years and Intel are in for a world of (well-deserved) corporate pain.

Soldato
Thanks for the link. When they quote the 2060 mobile and 2070 mobile, Do they mean the max Q variations or just a full fat GPU with a limited TDP?

The non Qmax version ofc since they are on same (if not lesser) price bracket.

There is a RTX 2700 Mobile, and to put in comparison the far more expensive 2080 Qmax is just 3% faster.

Soldato
We shall see when they come out. RX 5700 either way is a very power efficient chip, there is no need to make special versions to cut power to use it.
Like Nvidia has done with the Qmax lineup. :p
That sounds ideal. I have been tempted to swap out my Vega 56 for a 5700XT but may wait for RDNA2.

Soldato
My Lenovo has finally shipped, can't wait to have a play.
Lucky! After getting an updated expected shipping date of 7th of June, mine got bumped back to 22nd July.

Full fat 4800U, 16GB 3200, 500GB 2280 SSD, SRGB 100% IPS screen... the family don't play games really so should be a perfect all rounder for the next few years, with some decent headroom.

Hopefully there will be so many cancellations will receive sooner, would have cancelled if the deal wasn't so good for what we're getting. Nothing within a few hundred that can touch this overall.

Thing is it's for a family member as their current machine is on the way out, and on life support, so hoping this arrives before that one fails completely!

I wonder how many total orders Lenovo arrived in those few days, it must have been much higher than anticipated and completely oversold for them to pull the machine from the site and list as coming soon.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you get a partial refund for the long delay? I got 10% back just by emailing. Under £500 total.

I got 5%.. but can live with that, mine was only a week late to ship, what about yours? Waiting for the refund.. then I will ask about my £10 for metal to plastic swap that they promised.

Back
Top Bottom