• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Pet Northerner
Don
uLan9Ir.png

After a few days of tinkering with settings I've fallen on what I think offers the best bang for buck to me. The important thing here is that my GPU cooler mxes out under 2k RPMS, as I share the room I game in with my other half and would be unfair on her to have loud fans that I ignore with headphones :)

7P8zGnG.png

Associate
So I've repasted my Vega 64 nitro+ with some Kryonaute and wow what a difference. My goal was to reduce the hot spot temp and I have. Hopefully, this will mean that the card can sustain it's maximum boost clocks a fair bit longer during long gaming sessions.

And may I add how a lovely experience it is to service the nitro+. Such well thought out design and ease of disassembly and reassembly.

Nice, will probably be happy with a bump on that HBM frequency too.

Associate
So I've repasted my Vega 64 nitro+ with some Kryonaute and wow what a difference. My goal was to reduce the hot spot temp and I have. Hopefully, this will mean that the card can sustain it's maximum boost clocks a fair bit longer during long gaming sessions.

And may I add how a lovely experience it is to service the nitro+. Such well thought out design and ease of disassembly and reassembly.

Code:
Furmark pre repaste 10-minute run
GPU Temp: 76
HBM Temp: 85
Hot spot Temp: 97
Fan speed: 1850
------------------------------------------
Furmark post paste 10-minute run
GPU Temp: 73
HBM Temp: 79
Hot spot Temp: 82
Fan speed: 1646
Settings:
P7 Core: 1600mhz
P7 Voltage: 1025mv
Fan: auto
HBM clock: 975mhz
Voltage floor: 950mv
Power limit: +50%

That's interesting. Is it around £6? I've seen some for £20+ in the black tube, which one did you use?

Any reason why your HBM clock is only 975MHz?

I may well give this a go.

Pet Northerner
Don
@montymint with the Power Limit set at -15%, can your card consitently hit the State7 clock speeds and sustain them? is it not power-starved?

The card was staying around the 1600 mark (p6) levels, ratehr than p7. I think it only go this far because I hade the OC bios loaded by mistake.

I've moved onto the standard bios and left the undervolt on but +50% power and I'm getting better performance but same temps which are more important for me - as at 3440 x1440 the vega never smashes fps and my monitor is 75hz free sync. therefore 60fps do me just fine haha

Playing satisfactory this morning it never got out of p5 speeds but I was at 55-60 fps constantly.

Soldato
That's interesting. Is it around £6? I've seen some for £20+ in the black tube, which one did you use?

Any reason why your HBM clock is only 975MHz?

I may well give this a go.

my tube was the 11g variant but a small one is more than enough. The reason my hbm isn't clocked higher is that I gain nothing from it on this 1080p screen. normally I'm running it at a slightly higher 1025mhz.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Code:
Furmark pre repaste 10-minute run
GPU Temp: 76
HBM Temp: 85
Hot spot Temp: 97
Fan speed: 1850
Furmark post paste 10-minute run
GPU Temp: 73
HBM Temp: 79
Hot spot Temp: 82
Fan speed: 1646
Settings:
P7 Core: 1600mhz
P7 Voltage: 1025mv
Fan: auto
HBM clock: 975mhz
Voltage floor: 950mv
Power limit: +50%

This is great! I suppose once the warranty is over its worth doing as you cant send it back and it should help the card out... nice idea. The pads and paste put on in the factory are always a dogs dinner.

Soldato
This is great! I suppose once the warranty is over its worth doing as you cant send it back and it should help the card out... nice idea. The pads and paste put on in the factory are always a dogs dinner.
Well, technical I still have a few months of warranty left but I don't care really. As far as I know anyway if the card fails within its 2 year lifetime I'm still covered by danish law. I didn't change the pads, I only did a repaste with Kryonaute on the die.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Well, technical I still have a few months of warranty left but I don't care really. As far as I know anyway if the card fails within its 2 year lifetime I'm still covered by danish law. I didn't change the pads, I only did a repaste with Kryonaute on the die.

I guess as long as the pads on inspection are where they should be and are good then they can stay. Some can be positioned poorly or on bad cards not have any. My vega warranty will be up in six months, so will keep an eye on the temps and settings.

Soldato
I guess as long as the pads on inspection are where they should be and are good then they can stay. Some can be positioned poorly or on bad cards not have any. My vega warranty will be up in six months, so will keep an eye on the temps and settings.

That's the thing about Vega that has me something shaking my head at AMD. I find the card to be extremely good, but only after proper setup. Imagen if my 200watts setup was what was on review back when Vega launched instead of the 300watt monster that was released. Sure it wouldn't win "best gpu" of the century but it also wouldn't have earned the FAILED stamp either. The card is so underappreciated and in an age where tech journalists are basically joe average youtuber with zero technical know-how, AMD really needs to keep things tight and overly simplified or otherwise be slammed for tech tubers own incompetence. AMD certainly has their own moments of incompetents at times as well, so no reason to leave things up to chance with joe random reviewer.

Associate

If the pads are fine then you can of course reuse, but several of the ones on my Vega 56 pretty much fell apart on disassembly. Would be sensible to keep a set on hand so you're not stuck if your OEM pads are dead.

Soldato
I skipped to near the end of the vid. This is basically the same set up as mine. I currently have cool hair coming in at the front and hitting my rad (which also means hot air is probably being pumped in) and fans extracting air at the top/back of the case.

Should I switch this round? Cool air coming in at the top/back then the rad fans set to pull the air out of the front?

I turned all my fans around and it made naff all difference. I guess it is a much hotter day today. Still have no idea why my card can undervolt but still needs the fans on max to keep cool.

My case feels a lot cooler though.

Soldato
If the pads are fine then you can of course reuse, but several of the ones on my Vega 56 pretty much fell apart on disassembly. Would be sensible to keep a set on hand so you're not stuck if your OEM pads are dead.
One more reason for why I love the engineering done with this Nitro+. I didn't have to take the plate off for the VRMs.. I just took the shroud off with 4 screws and then took the GPU bracket off on the back and done, clean access to the die, and the heatsinks pop out clean and easy.

Associate
One more reason for why I love the engineering done with this Nitro+. I didn't have to take the plate off for the VRMs.. I just took the shroud off with 4 screws and then took the GPU bracket off on the back and done, clean access to the die, and the heatsinks pop out clean and easy.
My card is a Nano PCB so the layout is much more compact:
0896Hki.jpg
You can see in this photo how the stock pads have deteriorated.

Soldato
As much as I love my Vega 64, when Big Navi comes around I'll be putting it under water.

Right now I don;t really want to spend the amount of cash needed for W/c right now
Makes good sense imho. No reason really at this point to spend more money on Vega. I doubt you will get much out of it any way outside of the cool looks.

Back
Top Bottom