Live Stream of my Bird Box - Bluetits Nesting - Chicks Hatching Now

Associate
Thanks for sharing the stream, was great to watch. Just a shame it didn't work out this time but as you say, nature can be cruel and it happens all the time without anyone every seeing it.

Man of Honour
Mine all seem to have gone. Unsure whether they successfully fledged or not. Sadly, nature often doesn't have a happy ending and the survival rate for baby birds is incredibly low, it's why they lay so many eggs.

We now have a song thrush nest in the honeysuckle next to our house.

I am enjoying watching all this while working from home. I would usually have no idea any of this is going on.

Soldato
Here's a live feed of a Blue Tit box in Liverpool for anyone missing their fix.

Don't think they are having much luck either, think they started off with 5 chicks.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the messages. Glad you enjoyed it and found it interesting.

While the three boxes remain empty there is no point in streaming.

I have motion alerts set up. If any other birds start showing interest in any of the boxes then I will restart the streams and maybe they will take us on another journey.

That may not happen until next spring. It's really up to them!

We have some new blackbirds fledging in the garden today. This is the second brood of the summer for that nest and I believe we have another in the front garden that should be venturing out soon.

Soldato
OP
There is no sign of her by the way.

Shedidn't return to check on the chick again before it died and has not been back since.

We've not seen her in the garden either.

Soldato
OP
@LeeUK yeah I've been loosely following that one. They've not had a great time either. Think one of theirs died exactly how one of ours did. Crawled out and got stuck in the corner. What are the chances of that? You'd think it was a freak one in a million occurrence but maybe it isn't after all.

Soldato
OP
Don't know how the weather is for everyone but very high winds here.

Just found a young sparrow could only have been a few days from fledgling but it's been blown out of the nest. I think from next doors gutter. Sadly didn't survive the fall.

Soldato
Don't know how the weather is for everyone but very high winds here.

Just found a young sparrow could only have been a few days from fledgling but it's been blown out of the nest. I think from next doors gutter. Sadly didn't survive the fall.
Yes, unusually windy here, not good fledgling weather.

Permabanned
@Nazbit - Do you want to keep the domain? It expires every 12 months (1 year). Just checked and the expiry date of the domain is 2021-04-13.

I will stick a note in my calendar alerts to renew it just before that date if you would just like to keep continuing to use it.

It's fine and doesn't cost me anything.

Soldato
OP
@mrbell1984 Yes please that would be great - appreciate that

Found a few more young sparrows blown out of nests over the weekend. Three total. All different nests. Can only have been 1-3 days from fledging but coming out of the nest unexpectedly in 40mph gusts is never going to end the same way as when they decide to make that leap and can use their wings at least as air brakes even thought they can't fly.

Been watching this one....

https://youtu.be/O99qR10kIyU

Soldato
OP
This just popped up on my phone which I thought was very interesting. Especially the ungroomed feathers.

One Green Planet https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/scientists-warn-bird-feeders-to-be-cautious-of-new-pneumonia-like-virus-discovered-in-european-birds/ said:
Laboratory tests have found that thousand of blue tit birds have been affected by a pneumonia-like virus. The tests were performed in Germany and confirmed that a bacteria called Suttonella ornithocola.

Suttonella ornithocola is thought to be responsible for 13% of blue tit deaths in the United Kingdom in the spring. Viruals symptoms include loss of appetite, breathing problems and ungroomed feathers. Garden birds carry a variety of diseases and can sometimes help spread diseases including West Nile Virus, Salmonella and other viruses.

Scientists are encouraging those with bird feeders to be extra cautious to help prevent the spread of this disease. They are also encouraging monitoring local birds for evidence of infection to help pinpoint and stop the spread. If you have bird feeders in your yard, consider placing food further apart, yes social distanced, so birds can prevent the spread of infection.

To keep your bird feeders and bird baths clean, experts recommend:
  • Washing and disinfecting bird feeders regularly
  • Feed birds in moderation to encourage regularly emptied feeders
  • Rinse out water containers daily
  • Move feeders regularly to new locations
  • Purchase food from safe sources

Soldato
Some of our BTs have turned up looking like real scruffballs. Poor little things. The GTs don’t appear to be affected though.

Man of Honour
Our box was unsuccesful this year but we have some proper little uns using the bird feeder. How wide a territory do blue **** have?

Back
Top Bottom