5% fee for PayPal refund - should I stand and bang?

Soldato
I made a purchase on AliExpress at the start of April using a credit card. The item did not arrive and after some confusion the seller has now confirmed that it was never actually sent and has offered to refund my money. However, they want to do this via PayPal and want me to agree to being charged a 5% fee. Admittedly this will cost me less than £1, but it seems a bit cheeky as I paid by credit card and as far as I'm aware the PayPal rules are that you shouldn't pass on charges to customers.

So, what next? Do I meekly accept the charge rather than do battle with a (presumably) Chinese company, or stand my ground and threaten to report them to PayPal (or something)???

Soldato
OP
why not use the request a refund bit in aliexpress? then open a case against the supplier in there?

I actually did that yesterday as it was getting close to the deadline. So far I've been corresponding with the seller through the AliExpress message centre who has today offered the PayPal refund.

Soldato
Chinese sellers are perfectly happy to send us dangerous poor quality junk so I wouldn't feel sorry for them. Why should you lose out for their mistake?

Soldato
From an AliExpress order I'd just be happy they'd offered to refund.

If you really don't want to do it that way charge back via your credit card company and inform them of what you're doing.

Associate
AliExpress have their own buyer protection system which it seems like the vendor is trying to circumvent.

Man of Honour
That's not a bad way to run a scam if you can do it at a large enough scale:

1) Accept orders and money for items you don't have and which cost a relatively small amount.
2) Apologise for not sending the items and offer a refund of 95% of the money the person has already paid you. Many people will accept because the remaining 5% isn't enough money to be worth the hassle. May as well just let it go.

5% is a small profit margin, but since it's all online it could be almost entirely automated and costs would be extremely low since nothing is being sold or moved or stored anywhere. With a high enough volume of "sales" it could bring in a fair bit of free money.

Maybe I'm just being cynical.

Soldato
That's not a bad way to run a scam if you can do it at a large enough scale:

1) Accept orders and money for items you don't have and which cost a relatively small amount.
2) Apologise for not sending the items and offer a refund of 95% of the money the person has already paid you. Many people will accept because the remaining 5% isn't enough money to be worth the hassle. May as well just let it go.

5% is a small profit margin, but since it's all online it could be almost entirely automated and costs would be extremely low since nothing is being sold or moved or stored anywhere. With a high enough volume of "sales" it could bring in a fair bit of free money.

Maybe I'm just being cynical.

Isn't that 5% paypal fees though? I think in this case the 5% has already go to pay pal and the company doesn't want to be out of pocket so making OP pay for their mistake.

Soldato
Less than £1....

Jesus - take the refund and move on. Don't waste your time with opening a case etc.

Have a dig down the back of your sofa, you'll probably be better spending your time doing that to find £1 than chasing up a case via paypal/aliexpress.

People will say "it's about the principal" etc - but seriously take a look at the situation in the world just now and is it honestly worth the time and hassle to get a few pennies back

Associate
There are bad sellers out there. You stuck to your end by paying for something listed and they didn't. Therefore, you don't pay for their mistake.

Sounds like you got your money back, great!

Soldato
Aliexpress.... The sellers are just con artists.

I ordered 10KG 3d printing filament. They sent 8kg.
2KG I did get are 10% off in terms of dimensional accuracy. As in 3mm thick filament has an advertised 0.02mm variance. 2 KG actually has a 0.32mm variation in size....
This means the printer can't use it. So it's just scrap plastic.

Their response.... "that's normal m8"

Will they refuns or accept that I'm missing 2KG as well? Nope

Associate
Aliexpress.... The sellers are just con artists.

I ordered 10KG 3d printing filament. They sent 8kg.
2KG I did get are 10% off in terms of dimensional accuracy. As in 3mm thick filament has an advertised 0.02mm variance. 2 KG actually has a 0.32mm variation in size....
This means the printer can't use it. So it's just scrap plastic.

Their response.... "that's normal m8"

Will they refuns or accept that I'm missing 2KG as well? Nope
Outrageous!

Back
Top Bottom