• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
I looked into buying a water block just couldn't get past paying £100 for one, I guess they would make a big difference to temps though? I think I'm blessed with my card, this or my case is good at exhausting heat. Have +50 power limit and never see above 85c hot point.

Associate
I've been playing around with the voltage and clocks on my V64 for a while now but I think I've finally found the sweet settings.

I always seemed to have very little luck undervolting the core or overclocking the memory on my card so I had been using the auto undervolt settings (which were 1207mV for P7@1750Mhz, which is the default on the liquid BIOS) and setting the power limit to +20% or so to keep it at about 300W total with the HBM@ 1000MHz/1000mV. Anyway it was getting pretty hot in the room so I figured I would try and adjust some of the settings to keep the power draw down.

Turns out knocking the P7 target down to 1700MHz and dropping the voltage to 1100mV will allow me to actually overclock my memory to 1100Mhz and even with the power slider set to +50% the total consumption is down to ~240W. A quick and dirty timespy before and after yields a marginal performance gain whilst taking 60W less. With the fan speed set to 50%, my sustained temperatures are down from 62C to about 52C which is pretty nice, I have a feeling the 120mm rad gets a bit overwhelmed above 250W or so.

I also guess I had little luck overclocking my memory because having the core bouncing about the 1750MHz point was too much for my chip to handle at the same time as a memory overclock, it would always result in a blackscreen lockup pretty quickly setting the memory about 1000MHz, even at stock 1250mV on the core.
Just confirms my suspicion that memory overclocks have greater fps gains than core clocks, especially if your core is already at about 1650MHz+

Associate
I've been playing around with the voltage and clocks on my V64 for a while now but I think I've finally found the sweet settings.

I always seemed to have very little luck undervolting the core or overclocking the memory on my card so I had been using the auto undervolt settings (which were 1207mV for P7@1750Mhz, which is the default on the liquid BIOS) and setting the power limit to +20% or so to keep it at about 300W total with the HBM@ 1000MHz/1000mV. Anyway it was getting pretty hot in the room so I figured I would try and adjust some of the settings to keep the power draw down.

Turns out knocking the P7 target down to 1700MHz and dropping the voltage to 1100mV will allow me to actually overclock my memory to 1100Mhz and even with the power slider set to +50% the total consumption is down to ~240W. A quick and dirty timespy before and after yields a marginal performance gain whilst taking 60W less. With the fan speed set to 50%, my sustained temperatures are down from 62C to about 52C which is pretty nice, I have a feeling the 120mm rad gets a bit overwhelmed above 250W or so.

I also guess I had little luck overclocking my memory because having the core bouncing about the 1750MHz point was too much for my chip to handle at the same time as a memory overclock, it would always result in a blackscreen lockup pretty quickly setting the memory about 1000MHz, even at stock 1250mV on the core.
Just confirms my suspicion that memory overclocks have greater fps gains than core clocks, especially if your core is already at about 1650MHz+

Great work. I've just copied your settings for my 64 LC.
Brought my load temps in PUBG down to 52c from 62-63. Only pulls 240w down from mid 300's.
Nice to see this thread resurrected and people still enjoying this card. Had my 64 LC since launch and it still copes well with everything at 1440p.

Soldato
Great work. I've just copied your settings for my 64 LC.
Brought my load temps in PUBG down to 52c from 62-63. Only pulls 240w down from mid 300's.
Nice to see this thread resurrected and people still enjoying this card. Had my 64 LC since launch and it still copes well with everything at 1440p.

I'm actually surprised how well it does even at 3440x1440 and I only got an air-cooled Vega 64 with a slight underclock.

Associate
I've owned this LC card since launch day, I only bought it because I already owned a freesync monitor and a fury-X at the time, had Nvidia supported freesync I probably would have bought a 1080ti.

It's been a solid 1440p card, I can't help but feel if AMD had done a better job with the stock voltages, and the mining boom hadn't inflated the prices of all GPUs, then vega would have been a much more popular choice and scored a lot higher with reviewers at the time.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It's been a solid 1440p card, I can't help but feel if AMD had done a better job with the stock voltages, and the mining boom hadn't inflated the prices of all GPUs, then vega would have been a much more popular choice and scored a lot higher with reviewers at the time.

Yeah I agree. When I was able to pick it up for under three ton it had been out a while, but a fair price compared to release prices or mining inflation.

Caporegime
Well i ended up changing the airflow layout inside my pc to see if it made a difference in regards to temps.

Original layout:

m9x1Tlg.jpg

New layout:

8zYfG3n.png

And what difference did it make to gpu temps? Absolutely sweet **** all. Still cranking to 80c plus and that's with the front intakes going full tilt before i slowed them down in the bios.

So realistically rad mounted at the front doesn't seem to impact gpu temps on an axial cooler at least. The gpu has its own dedicated intake fan and it's still getting hot, that's after re-pasting and undervolting as well.

Still have to screw the gpu in properly and tidy some cabling, gave me something to do at least =/

Caporegime
Most vertical GPU orientations result in a temperature increase especially in cases with no side intake / opening.

For cards that are up against the glass maybe, this is using a cable mods mount so it's a good 4 inches or so away from it. Difference between vertical and horizontal in cases with good clearance is only a few c usually.

Soldato
I looked into buying a water block just couldn't get past paying £100 for one, I guess they would make a big difference to temps though? I think I'm blessed with my card, this or my case is good at exhausting heat. Have +50 power limit and never see above 85c hot point.
myself i have looked at water, but cant justify price per performance aspect and with big navi around the corner, its time to sit and wait and see what it brings to the table

Caporegime
Trying to clock this card up really baffles me, no matter what i seem to top out at around 1500mhz and 80c, even when under-volting to 1.025v at stage 7.

Re-pasted with thermal grizzly, even tried hooking up a fan to the onboard fan hub and the results are the same. It's pretty quiet when it's running games, though so no issues there. Rather that than having to crank the fans up to get more clock speed for minimal gain with more noise.

Associate
Trying to clock this card up really baffles me, no matter what i seem to top out at around 1500mhz and 80c, even when under-volting to 1.025v at stage 7.

Re-pasted with thermal grizzly, even tried hooking up a fan to the onboard fan hub and the results are the same. It's pretty quiet when it's running games, though so no issues there. Rather that than having to crank the fans up to get more clock speed for minimal gain with more noise.

Which card do you have?

My Nitro+ Happily has been OC on 1650 + 1050 Memory for a few months now, even in this heat.

My 2060 super however clocks 500 on memory and near enough the same for core. I think the Vega series are not very OC friendly, they probably are at the limit stock.

Caporegime
This is the weird thing i'm noticing, I've been running heaven at 4k full screen 8xfsaa at about 1600mhz pretty consistent (only gets around 25-30 or so fps). Yet when i fire up BFV with the same overclock settings i get around 80fps on ultra 3200x1800 but the clocks drop to just under 1500.

Strange, you'd think an easier workload would result in more consistent and higher clock speeds, instead the heavier workload makes the core clock higher and the lighter workload makes it clock lower. :confused:

Soldato
im finding the weather is playing a part, obviously temps are up, my hot spot climbed to 85 tonight which playing gta v @4k, 1660mhz 1000mv 1050mhz and 1000mv for memory, also had to drop cpu clock by a tad. plus these new drivers were causing black screen, so rolled it back to previous release

Back
Top Bottom