most websites give me a privacy error

Soldato
I've recently set up a Windows 7 PC and when browsing the web half of the websites I visit, Opera throws up a privacy error "Your connection is not private" with error code Net::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID. This has happened in the past when the clock on the PC has been wrong because the BIOS battery failed or something, but the clock is right this time. It's a fresh install of Windows 7 so I haven't had time to break anything :(

Soldato
OP
time is right, but is the year?

Yup

need to force/default ipv6 ?

Not sure how to do this, in my internet adapter settings, IPV4 and 6 and both ticked/enabled and both on default settings

Applied all the updates ? If you used an old Win 7 distro from disk its quite likely the embedded CA root certificates have expired.

The version I've used is Microsoft's ISO and comes with SP1 pre-installed but is probably still quite old! It's checking for updates now.

Soldato
Yup

Not sure how to do this, in my internet adapter settings, IPV4 and 6 and both ticked/enabled and both on default settings

The version I've used is Microsoft's ISO and comes with SP1 pre-installed but is probably still quite old! It's checking for updates now.
If Windows takes a long time looking for updates, you might need to manually download and install some updates from Microsoft first before things get moving.

These are what I installed on a Windows 7 VM which had SP1 pre-installed in the ISO image:
You should see results a few minutes after searching for Windows Updates.

Soldato
OP
Thanks very much, the links darael have nudged my window update into... functioning and if that doesn't sort the issue when it's up to date I'll copy over whatever is stored on my Windows 10 PC assuming I access them through the "internet options" dialogue like on 7.

Soldato
Unless they fixed it a base w7 will not upgrade to latest updates without a fix.. You reach point the update? Database something. Edb is 1.2ish gb and windows update will get stuck using 100 of one core and never update again.. There is a fix to download and apply several updates...

If Windows update site at 100% of 1 core (ie 50% of both there are 2) you have that bug.. Root certs were changed / updated a while back and that's likley the issue assuming you checked date and time are ok

Soldato
Unless they fixed it a base w7 will not upgrade to latest updates without a fix.. You reach point the update? Database something. Edb is 1.2ish gb and windows update will get stuck using 100 of one core and never update again.. There is a fix to download and apply several updates...

If Windows update site at 100% of 1 core (ie 50% of both there are 2) you have that bug.. Root certs were changed / updated a while back and that's likley the issue assuming you checked date and time are ok
My earlier post should address any issues with Windows Update in Windows 7 SP1. If not, then perhaps something else is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom