• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel CPU confusion

Associate
HI all,

im looking at building a new rig but going down the intel path...

its likely to be 60/40 gaming vs work, office bashing and what not not streaming.

iv been looking at the

Itel Core i9-10900X 3.7GHz Deca core Processor with 10 Cores, 20 Threads, 19.25 MB Cache, 165W TDP, 4.5GHz Turbo,

Or the

intel® Core™ i9-9900KF up to 5.00GHz Octa Core Unlocked Processor

any advise is welcome on this but im stuck as its been a while sice iv built a rig

thanks

E

Soldato
Does your spreadsheets/data crunching software make heavy use of multiple threads?

If so - 3950X.

Otherwise the pure single thread performance of the 10900K (LGA1200) is probably better...

Soldato
Pointing the OP towards the 3950x.... :o

Anything from a 3600x up to a 3900x will be great for the OP on the AMD side.

Note that in the next 6 months or less we will be getting the 4000 series.

But at least the current AMD boards support the 4000 series. I advise the OP if he did go AMD to get an X570 board just to be safe.

The intel chips the OP has listed are both fine and super fast. But the 10series runs hot and I believe is a dead end socket again as is the 9900k.

Soldato
what amd versions would you look at ?

Considering your budget for a CPU appears to be £539.99 then the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X would make sense since it's the closest AMD processor to that budget. Although it wont really make your games run much faster than a Ryzen 5 3600 so there's no need to spend that much.

Soldato
So the Intel ones are not a good option then?

Well, you need a 360mm AIO to add to your budget. On the 3800X/3900X you can get away with an air cooler or even the stock cooler coming with them.

You also need to calulate the diminishing returns. Given what you want to do with it, I would be going for the 3800X (£330) and a X570 or B550 board. Has the best single core perf and great multi core.
That will keep your budget pretty low also, saying that a 3900X can be had at £432 is a bargain these days.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah ok, AMD are a great option if outright gaming performance isn't of utmost importance, currently they offer better overall production performance than their Intel counterparts while offering 90% of the gaming performance (in most cases with newer games you'd be limited by the GPU so they'd offer virtually indistinguishable speed unless you're benchmarking or playing at high refresh with lower graphics settings).

Soldato
no id of thought that the games would test the system more as its basic office stuff

In that case really up to you.

10th Gen Intel would provide the "best" (Best being a few single digit % better) gaming/single threaded performance whilst using a lot more power and hence require better coolers/make more noise.

AMD would provide the best performance/price ratio.

I'd go AMD personally, 3800X. Silence + performance + saving a few £ which you can use towards the GPU.

Can upgrade to the 4XXX series when released, which will offer another performance boost.

Soldato
So the Intel ones are not a good option then?

That's not what we're saying. The i9-10900X is an awesome CPU. However, it costs £100 more than the Ryzen 9 3900X which is an even better CPU. Two extra cores and lower power consumption for £100 less.

If you see the i9-10900X on special offer for £389.99 then get it because like I said, it's an awesome CPU but it's not worth a penny more than £389.99 when you compare it to AMD's astonishing product stack. It sits very nicely between the 3800X and 3900X.

Last edited:
Associate
The 3900x is a proper big boy cpu, 12 cores...goes like the clappers and doesn't use a major amount of power or heat up too much.
The 3950 is even more bad ass, in fact its so bad ass it took most of intel HEDT cpus to the slaughterhouse and its only a normal desktop AM4 cpu - Threadripper did the rest and killed off the rest of intels HEDT parts.

Unless you need an Intel CPU for a specific task then i wouldnt be touching them for a generation or two at the moment.

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom