Neighbours plant has destroyed shared fence.

The fence to our neighbours is completely falling apart due to their pants over growing it and pushing it apart. They have primarily ivy and it's grown throw everything and then expended pushing the panels off the frame, causing them to rot etc.

It has to be replaced. I have looked at the deeds and I'm pretty sure it's shared ownership, however is there anything to say as they've basically broken it, that it should be their responsibility to fix it?

This is the neighbour at our rear and they are on essentially a different estate/road so not once I'd ever meet so no worries of trying to keep peace with the neighbours

Caporegime
The fence to our neighbours is completely falling apart due to their pants over growing it and pushing it apart. They have primarily ivy and it's grown throw everything and then expended pushing the panels off the frame, causing them to rot etc.

It has to be replaced. I have looked at the deeds and I'm pretty sure it's shared ownership, however is there anything to say as they've basically broken it, that it should be their responsibility to fix it?

This is the neighbour at our rear and they are on essentially a different estate/road so not once I'd ever meet so no worries of trying to keep peace with the neighbours

You need to go and speak with the neighbour first.

I've had 2 issues with 2 seperate neighbours regarding the fences.

First neighbour 3 dogs destroyed fence. I go round and speak with daughter as it's her dogs. She says will be fixed at the weekend and she admits her dogs caused the damage. 2 years later not been fixed. I've never approached the woman who owns it as she is literally mental. She has no memory and shouldn't be living there. I'll need to speak to her son but tbh he seems like scum I've seen him be arrested and dragged out the house, etc.

About 6 weeks ago the neighbour at the rear same as you different street. His rottweiler got out and destroyed the boundary fence from 2 sides. He came round to me before I had even noticed the damage, pretty early in the morning. He agreed to get his joiner to come round and fix everything. Now there has been a lockdown and it hasn't been fixed but I'm awaiting lockdown to be properly lifted and wait a week or two before asking him when this joiner will fix the fence. However he has erected a new partial fence on his side which covers the majority of the border apart from corner where the dog likes to jump up and batter and make holes in the fence. I'm going to wait until lockdown is lifted and give it 2 weeks before asking when the repairs will take place to the original fence that their dog destroyed as I now have a partially broken fence on the border even though he's went and fixed his own side by erecting a second fence.

When his joiner comes around. I'm going to go ask the first neighbour again what she's doing about the fence and explain to her that the other neighbour is repairing the damage caused by his dogs does she want to pay him to fix the damage her dogs caused otherwise she needs to get someone in to do it ASAP because it's been 2 years already.

Last edited:
Soldato
My next neighbours have an overgrown garden so bad that it's ruined the fences, trellises and all of the shrubbery that was there as literally grown over and my shrubbery grew out into the garden to try and escape it

The house rented and the people living there didn't care so I had to cut out out all my shrubbery and cut all their crap using my green bin, I started work on the 1st Jan this year and finished a few weeks ago

The point of this is, I've planted conifers which which grow and cover up the dodgy looking fences and trellises so I couldn't care about the fence now

Associate
had this with a neighbour who allowed huge weeds and some trees to grow against the shared brick wall. It caused huge cracks and made the wall unsafe. I had to have it taken down and replaced with a fence, cost me £2k. This guy hasn't got a pot to pee in, he was left the house by inheritance and it's practically falling down. (he's a scruffy weirdo as well)
Haven't bothered chasing him for half costs yet, don't think it's worth my stress.

Back
Top Bottom