F1 Virtual Grand Prix

Soldato
Hi - Is that the Logitech G920 wheel you have there? How do you rate it? I'd love to get into SIM racing but after doing some research finding it a bit complex with all the options or Rigs/Cockpits, Bases, Pedals, Stands, Wheels, Mods, etc. Wondering if the Logitech wheel is a good introduction to it and how it would work on a desk and the pedals on the floor connected to an XBox One. Interested to know your thoughts on it. Thanks.
Yes it’s the G920. Like the post above I did some research on entry level wheel/pedals sets and this generally came out as the top recommendation. The wheel clamps on/off very easy and the pedals have removal grippers for carpet. The software is fully configurable to change the level of wheel feedback and pedal thresholds.

Soldato
Hi - Is that the Logitech G920 wheel you have there? How do you rate it? I'd love to get into SIM racing but after doing some research finding it a bit complex with all the options or Rigs/Cockpits, Bases, Pedals, Stands, Wheels, Mods, etc. Wondering if the Logitech wheel is a good introduction to it and how it would work on a desk and the pedals on the floor connected to an XBox One. Interested to know your thoughts on it. Thanks.

I've been watching the 'the race' series sponsored by rokit, mostly the legends, next to villneuve doing well with an xbox controller I was very impressed with pirro with a G27 - he even had the gear stick setup, although commented he had switched to paddles as the competition heated up.

Used to love racing round the island on test drive unlimited 2 with friends, the stick shift felt a lot more involved.

Most of the legends have direct drive fanatecs but it just goes to show even a 'gamer' wheel like the G27 can go head to head with multi-thousand £ sim setups if the driver has enough talent.

Associate
I've been watching the 'the race' series sponsored by rokit, mostly the legends, next to villneuve doing well with an xbox controller I was very impressed with pirro with a G27 - he even had the gear stick setup, although commented he had switched to paddles as the competition heated up.

Used to love racing round the island on test drive unlimited 2 with friends, the stick shift felt a lot more involved.

Most of the legends have direct drive fanatecs but it just goes to show even a 'gamer' wheel like the G27 can go head to head with multi-thousand £ sim setups if the driver has enough talent.

Hadn't noted he had a different setup. I thought that the competitors were getting shipped out thier sim wheel and pedals as part of their participation as new arrivals to the series seem to talk about only just receiving the setup a few days before they compete. Looking forward to tonight at Indy!

Man of Honour
Hadn't noted he had a different setup. I thought that the competitors were getting shipped out thier sim wheel and pedals as part of their participation as new arrivals to the series seem to talk about only just receiving the setup a few days before they compete. Looking forward to tonight at Indy!

Did you watch the Indy races? More exciting than I expected from just a oval!!

Soldato
I'm guessing you've not watched much oval racing in real life? (That's not intended as the somewhat pointed question it sounds like). It's far, far more technical than most expect - much more so in real racing compared to road racing too. Even just watching the tension is something else as even when they look planted you're just a tiny error away for the mother and father of all accidents. Look at Alonso's first Indy 500 race in 2017, where Helio Castroneves drove underneath the airbourne Scott Dixon, who landed upside down on top of the wall. Oval races particularly still have that buzz and nervousness that F1 had in the late 90s and early 2000s, when the cars were twitching and dancing along straights on fast tracks such as Monza and Hockenheim.

The online race was a bit more mad than it would be in real life (naturally), but equally there was some superb driving. The only drawback for The Race events is the rFactor 2 platform. Iracing would be much better.

Still, they're miles better than the F1 events. And at least have replays now.

Getting Paul Page in for the Indy races was brilliant. Loved listening to his voice in the 90s. He clearly wasn't up to speed with sim-racing and the quirks such events always have, but he still came across as enthusiastic as ever.

Last edited:
Associate

Yup, watched Indy yesterday. Though there were great battles at the front in both races. I always enjoy watching Indy, definitly much more to it then "just an oval". Much prefer "The Race" to the Official F1 Virtual races. Agreed with the comments regarding getting Paul Page in as a pundit, and a familiar voice even to someone who doesn't watch a great amount of US motorsport (pretty much just a few of the Indycar races and Indy 500 over the year). The format is quite watchable, 3 short races and then again with reverse grids. He seemed to be enjoying some of the racing being seen.

Todays Monaco GP was a bit of a farce, some ridiculous moves been made and wasn't much of an attempt at a real gp (although saying that would probably be a bit dull if people weren't sending it, shows a touring car might be able to make an entertaining race at Monaco!). Very difficult to know what the final result was going to be (beyond #1) as there were so many penalties being handed out but no way of the viewer knowing (unless they had been taking note) of who had how many penalties, weird ghosting issues for people racing each over, not just people lapping.

Man of Honour
I've watched a fair amount of US racing and to be honest it always seems more exciting and closer than F1 these days., I was being a bit flippant with the oval remark, I wasn't sure the real life action would properly translate in a game.

The F1 Virtual GP was dire, as you say penalties all over the place and just a bit strange, I know they're really trying to push the Official F1 game but they'd be better off using one of the "proper" Sims like iRacing or Assetto Corsa..

Soldato
Amazing story from the Formula E virtual race with Daniel Abt paying a pro sim racer to stand in for him. Interestingly the commentators had picked up that something wasn't quite right as Daniel hadn't shown any real speed in the previous races and suddenly was competing at the front of the field.

Man of Honour
Caporegime
Losing his job is absolutely ridiculous, it was a charity race just accept his apology and be done with it.

Audi were quick to slam their 27-year-old driver, insisting 'integrity' is one of their key principles.

... says the company fined billions for deliberately cheating on car diesel emissions. Yeah, integrity. LOL.

Extreme virtue signalling needs to die, people aren't going to suddenly stop buying Audi's because of this incident.

Soldato
Hi, welcome.

It is great that you're looking for new sub forums to push your agenda, and in this case you're bumping a three week old post that few cared about in the first place.

I'm certain that there are other more visible sub forums available to urinate on if you badly need the attention.

Caporegime
Hi Abyss, thanks for policing my activity but I've been posting in this forum far longer than you have and in sports forum before that but given that you resort to attacking people rather than opinions I imagine you find the truth and facts difficult and probably hate speech. Being a voice of tolerance if you want in the future I can run my opinions by you beforehand and you can tell me if they're allowed to be aired publicly or not given that your opinions are undoubtedly the correct ones.

Back
Top Bottom