LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
A lot of things that are mentioned in these cases are usually unnoticeable or only applicable in specific situations, but of course now that nowadays we ask for reviews of TV's in the most exhaustive of engineering-level detail we exaggerate the impact to the levels where all of a sudden such minor niggles are suddenly "unacceptable" to those who consider themselves knowledgeable enthusiasts. The fact is if you never heard about then you would likely never notice.

I am not saying it isn't good to have all the information, I am a man of science and in the end it is our hard-earned money that we want to mae sure we are spendng correctly, but I think that collectively we do develop a level of perfectionism in our expectations that is often unrealistic and in many cases not even necessary. It's easy to get carried away readig all of this stuff and I consider myself among those that sometimes do before I give myself a reality check. :)

Indeed as soon as I read the review I was "CANCEL!". Then I looked at it again and put my sensible head on and realised I may not even notice. Still hyped!

Associate
Can you use an oled for any productivity at all?
Ie, static images for hours a day

I dont see why not. I mean does a screen stay on the same picture for many hours? ... I do Everything on my computer (monitor) at home granted its not an oled but a nice 43" and Im always going from one thing to the next. I dont work form home but do other things.

Associate
A lot of things that are mentioned in these cases are usually unnoticeable or only applicable in specific situations, but of course now that nowadays we ask for reviews of TV's in the most exhaustive of engineering-level detail we exaggerate the impact to the levels where all of a sudden such minor niggles are suddenly "unacceptable" to those who consider themselves knowledgeable enthusiasts. The fact is if you never heard about then you would likely never notice.

I am not saying it isn't good to have all the information, I am a man of science and in the end it is our hard-earned money that we want to mae sure we are spendng correctly, but I think that collectively we do develop a level of perfectionism in our expectations that is often unrealistic and in many cases not even necessary. It's easy to get carried away readig all of this stuff and I consider myself among those that sometimes do before I give myself a reality check. :)

I think the issue is that rtings are not very clear with their reviews. They need to be a lot more comprehensive with their explanations and not only offer 1-3 sentences. tftcentral does a good job at that.

Soldato
I can confirm that VRR on XBOX One X is also affected. This looks just horrible!!! Both pictures are made with the same exposure time. VRR causes raised blacks and wrong gamma.

EX14vaCWoAA5veU

The theory is that VRR disables the black crush that LG applied to hide the chrominance overshoot and that is closer to how it Should be. I’ve got the crush calibrated out and here are 2 shots. VRR on and Off. Tonemapping disabled on the phone and same exposure .
https://twitter.com/EvilBoris/status/1260336886138142723

EX2dtcyXsAM7AhO
EX2dtctXQAI31M9

Caporegime
No but the task bar, and other such menus could be there for a lot of the time.

If you use moving screensavers that kick in after a short time of inactivity then you are very likely not going to get burn in. Tests on modern OLED's show that it takes many hours of static images to get burn in, more than people realistically display at any given time.

Caporegime
If you use moving screensavers that kick in after a short time of inactivity then you are very likely not going to get burn in. Tests on modern OLED's show that it takes many hours of static images to get burn in, more than people realistically display at any given time.

I'm talking more of photoshop where half the screen is menus. Or coding software where the same applies

Soldato
And I repeat the question... how often are you doing this for 10+ hours without any break? You don't get burn-in from just a few hours.

Uhm... if it's being used for productivity, I'd expect it's probably done for a living - so you're definitely looking more than a few hours a day. 8 hours a day, even with breaks and other use in between, is going to add up. Burn in is cumulative.

Associate
I'm talking more of photoshop where half the screen is menus. Or coding software where the same applies

Yes I was thinking about it for similar CAD work when not gaming but burn in is a concern, I currently use a QLED LCD and it is great but panel is a bit slow for games so fancied an upgrade.

Caporegime
Uhm... if it's being used for productivity, I'd expect it's probably done for a living - so you're definitely looking more than a few hours a day. 8 hours a day, even with breaks and other use in between, is going to add up. Burn in is cumulative.
Whaaat? I do productivity stuff without "doing it for a living". I photo edit, I use office, etc etc.

As I said already, if you are telling me that you are not going to be taking any breaks from your PC and cannot set a screensaver to come on quickly when the machine is idle then I would say you are in a specific minority of use cases.

Back
Top Bottom