What electric cars are actually available in the UK . . .

Soldato
So that it’s cheaper or does less range? It won’t be both.

I'd like to see them produce a cheaper hatch, sort of like a Golf rival. The Model 3 still isn't cheap enough in the UK for a lot of people. I think they will produce this segment of car in time (maybe in another 3-5 years time when battery cost has dropped significantly).

Soldato
If you are actually considering a Kona, for the money I’d just stump up the extra for a Model 3.
what do you think is much better about the model 3 ? no heat pump, its interior styling/fit-marmite, no hatch-back flexibility, even, exterior styling too.

Soldato
what do you think is much better about the model 3 ? no heat pump, its interior styling/fit-marmite, no hatch-back flexibility, even, exterior styling too.

It’s all about the charging network. Honestly. I would pay serious money just to use the Tesla supercharger network in my non Tesla car. You could drive to southern Italy using nothing but their chargers and the in car navigation would sort the entire journey. The integration is seamless and brilliant. They’re fast, ignoring the headline figures of 250kw which is only in limited circumstances, you can reliably get over 100kw over most of the charge curve. No membership cards or apps on your phone, just plug in and walk away. They build them in serious numbers as well.

And performance is amazing, even standard models feel rapid.

Last time I looked at the Kona there was a 12 month wait for new orders, I don’t know if they’ve improved that recently.

There are better cars than the Tesla (practicality, quality, dealer support) but you’ll be hard pressed to find a better EV with supporting infrastructure.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
We need a Tesla Model 2.
From Somnabulist's link said:
Tesla has shown a design sketch of a small car for China and revealed that it's looking to set up a design and research facility in the country.

The American electric vehicle (EV) maker posted the image of a compact hatchback with Model 3-inspired styling via its official account on WeChat – China's biggest social media network.
Looking at the "design sketch" it may be small but Dear God, it looks ridiculous - "compact" doesn't really do it justice.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Concept drawings usually are, though. I'm sure it will be Focus/Golf sized rather than Fiesta/Polo/Mini.
So long as it is genuinely a small car (i.e. Polo sized), ideally a hatchback with reasonable space in the boot with the back seats down, I am sure it will be a winner; sadly, it can't arrive soon enough :(

Soldato

Ever been in one or driven one? Perhaps ask some owners or those who have driven both what's better about it. As pointed out, the Supercharger network is a massive plus. I've driven EVs of various brands for several years including the Kona and Model 3. There is simply no comparison for long range travel, anything aside from the Supercharger network is just irritating at best. The performance, handling and in my view styling of the Model 3 is also massively ahead of the Kona. And the interior minimalism, as you say, is Marmite - but interior material qualities are pretty good in my opinion and far superior to the Kona. I think both cars look nicer in person than pictures, more so the Model 3. It's is a lovely-looking car in my opinion and more distinctive than the Kona without being over-styled.

The constant over the air updates, glass roof, large infotainment screen and efficiency also seperate the Model 3 out from many competitors. The little touches like Sentry Mode, integrated connectivity (Spotify, YouTube, Netflix etc.) are nice. And Autopilot is very pleasant to use, when used properly and with limitations understood. But I don't suggest anybody takes my word or anybody else's for it. Go for a test drive when you can, if you're genuinely interested. It's a lovely car in many ways and has rightfully converted many avid petrolheads. Something you won't see the Kona doing.

Last edited:
Soldato

No heat pump isn’t an issue on a model 3, look at the package as a whole. The Model 3 drivetrain is as good as it gets in the U.K.

Charging as others have mentioned is not even a competition.

The interior is miles better than a Kona, don’t let the £36k price tag fool you. The Kona on the inside is cheap, very cheap in fact. It’s not bad but the model 3 is an order of magnitude better. Infotainment, no competition.

The Kona does have a hatch but the boot is tiny. The exterior of the Kona is covered in cheap plastic.

The Model 3 is objectively a better car. The Kona is a good car, don’t get me wrong but it is overpriced when you compare it to what a Model 3 offers IMO.

Man of Honour
Ah sorry, couldn’t think of the logic why anyone goes Heathrow. But I guess you are from that special part of the country :p

Anyone who wants to fly shorthaul with BA is almost certainly going to fly from a London airport most likely Heathrow. They don't fly outside the UK from regional airports :p

Soldato
what do you think is much better about the model 3 ?

volvo seems to be hitting the TV with polestar 2 adverts ... cant find the add on utube, and havent seen one on the road yet,
but it's winning in the Miss Ev championship, for me ... it got that bullet dodge charger look.

Soldato
volvo seems to be hitting the TV with polestar 2 adverts ... cant find the add on utube, and havent seen one on the road yet,
but it's winning in the Miss Ev championship, for me ... it got that bullet dodge charger look.

Each to their own, I think it looks too 'chunky' and Volvo-like. And the monobrow at the back isn't appealing, nor is the fake grill. Get why they put the grill there and also see why some find the overall design appealing. But the car in general is not to my taste aesthetically. Tastes are subjective, options are a good thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like the OP just made this thread to waste their time, and others. Fully backed up by the comment below, no real interest at all just wants to moan they can't get one for a fiver that does 300 miles.

My interest in EVs is largely based on the idea that the Government will eventually start to make ownership and use of them more attractive - at the moment they are not, they are status symbols.

An EV as a status symbol is just ROFL.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . . An EV as a status symbol is just ROFL.
Frankly, many cars are chosen to project an "image" (i.e. as status symbols).
EVs are significantly more expensive than many "alternatives".
There are certainly some people who would like to choose an EV to protect the environment.
Some of those people have the funds to demonstrate that they "have the funds".
Q.E.D.​

ps - I do have the funds, would dearly love to protect the environment but don't want some oversized flashy metal box and have no great wish to run out of electricity in the middle of the night or to sit in some God-awful motorway service station drinking carp warm murky liquid :p

Was there anything else ?

Soldato
Next time I see someone driving around in a eGolf or an eUp! I'll remember that they are probably people just trying to make a statement showing how affluent they are with their awesome cars. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
I think OP needs to wait for the Honda E as that is like the half way house between spending loads on a Tesla but still having reasonable range and performance. As for 300 miles range you are not going to get that reliably for at least a couple of years. Just save your money and buy a cheaper diesel car.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Next time I see someone driving around in a eGolf or an eUp! I'll remember that they are probably people just trying to make a statement showing how affluent they are with their awesome cars. :rolleyes:
Thank you, two on-topic potentially useful suggestions, although they do still suffer from limited mileage :p

I think OP needs to wait for the Honda E as that is like the half way house between spending loads on a Tesla but still having reasonable range and performance. As for 300 miles range you are not going to get that reliably for at least a couple of years. Just save your money and buy a cheaper diesel car.
I don't think that a diesel car really addresses the "environmental" issue ;)

However, you are right, it seems unlikely that there will be an EV about for some while with the qualities I am seeking :(

Back
Top Bottom