Gigabit fibre you say? Peasant. Try 44 Tbps

Soldato
Most of the country is still stuck using ancient telephone lines. Even the so called BT Fibre isn't actually fibre to the door, its to the local exchange and your speed to the exchange is still limited by the multiple decade old copper cables.

Caporegime
10 years before it’s in this country and about 50 years before anyone actually needs it.

Lol, we could have had gigabit speeds by the early 90s, that's a good 30 year gap between ability and will. However now that we have the momentum it shouldn't take too long to catch up, not that we need these speeds, but it would be useful for connecting supercomputers i'd imagine. So 10 years sounds about right, for Universities.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps they should sort out the current ****** infrastructure first before investing any money into projects such as this. It's the 2nd decade of the 21st Century and I can't even get fibre of any flavour, despite living in a city and not in the sticks.

Caporegime
Most of the country is still stuck using ancient telephone lines. Even the so called BT Fibre isn't actually fibre to the door, its to the local exchange and your speed to the exchange is still limited by the multiple decade old copper cables.

It's the other way around, it's fibre from the exchange to the cabinet and copper to the house.

Copper can support 10Gb/s over such short distances provided the right equipment is used.

Caporegime
Happy with 5MB/s

Its enough to stream 4k don't need anymore.

It'll probably be 8G by then and no one will need a landline

And nut jobs will claim it causes something new

Caporegime
What a garbage article, it's not really got anything to do with broadband access speeds and is just talking about getting data over optical fibres without having to multiplex loads of different lasers together, which has cost, complexity and power consumption advantages for the transceivers. It's useful research that will obviously find its way into products, but it's not like there's a technical limitation currently for why your FTTP service isn't 10Gbps.

Soldato
And I thought my 10Gb/10Gb was good.

Nice. Where do you live? Scandanavia? Eastern Europe? Asia? Anywhere but the UK or US really. :p I'd love to hear more. Install? Kit? Local network? Do you run servers off it (if not why not? :D).
Edit: Second thoughts, do you have a thread? If not you should seriously start one.

Man of Honour
Nice. Where do you live? Scandanavia? Eastern Europe? Asia? Anywhere but the UK or US really. :p I'd love to hear more. Install? Kit? Local network? Do you run servers off it (if not why not? :D).
Edit: Second thoughts, do you have a thread? If not you should seriously start one.

I have this for £30 a month:
https://fiber.salt.ch/en/fiber/internet

I’m not sure it’s worth starting a thread, many European countries have had these speeds for years.

I have no need for a server, but I do have a NAS that’s limited to 1Gb due to its network card.

Caporegime
It would be interesting to know the percentage of their customers that have the 10GbE port connected to anything

Soldato
Being stuck with a rather variable WIMAX service as we’re too far from the exchange to even get broadband over copper, I’m eagerly awaiting the 20Mb / 5Mb service Orange France are promising once the fibre makes it the last 3km to my house.

Man of Honour
It would be interesting to know the percentage of their customers that have the 10GbE port connected to anything

I used to have a 10Gb card for testing but the throughput of the card was only 7.8Gb/s so that’s as far as I could test a single device.

All my stuff is networked at gigabit speeds, spread across the 5 ports of the router and WiFi as 10Gb is still pretty rare for consumer devices.

Soldato
I have this for £30 a month:
https://fiber.salt.ch/en/fiber/internet

I’m not sure it’s worth starting a thread, many European countries have had these speeds for years.

I have no need for a server, but I do have a NAS that’s limited to 1Gb due to its network card.

Nice, I'd kill to have those sorts of speeds at my disposal... my servers are salivating haha. Even with gigabit devices you're effectively trunking the 10Gb into 10x 1Gb ports (assuming they're directly connected to a capable router). That's not to be sniffed at! Lucky man.

Back
Top Bottom