Samsung 860 Evo 1tb Issue

Soldato
So recently my 860 evo that I bought nearly exactly a year ago has developed an issue.

It'll randomly get pinned to 100% even though it's not in use, when i check task manager the average response time is in the thousands whilst the read and write speeds are at 0.1kbps or along them lines.

So it's primarily a game drive, mostly CoD is played on it, I can get maybe 2 matches worth and it'll be pinned at a 100% and pretty much send my system into lockdown.

I've tried with a different game and it'll do the same.
I've formatted it, and it'll do the same again.
Downloaded Samsung Magician software where there was a FW update, unfortunately that didn't solve the issue.

So before I put a request in to whereever i bought it from, Anything else I should test or it's pretty much the end of the drive.

Luckily Samsung throw 5 years warranty at these things so no particular rush to get it sent away.

Cheers.

Man of Honour
So recently my 860 evo that I bought nearly exactly a year ago has developed an issue.

It'll randomly get pinned to 100% even though it's not in use, when i check task manager the average response time is in the thousands whilst the read and write speeds are at 0.1kbps or along them lines.

So it's primarily a game drive, mostly CoD is played on it, I can get maybe 2 matches worth and it'll be pinned at a 100% and pretty much send my system into lockdown.

I've tried with a different game and it'll do the same.
I've formatted it, and it'll do the same again.
Downloaded Samsung Magician software where there was a FW update, unfortunately that didn't solve the issue.

So before I put a request in to whereever i bought it from, Anything else I should test or it's pretty much the end of the drive.

Luckily Samsung throw 5 years warranty at these things so no particular rush to get it sent away.

Cheers.

Check it in magician for firmware updates?

Man of Honour
Haha no issue, I think it's safe to say its kaput, just warranty claim the thing and hopefully the next one will out last this one.
Yea I recon so and that would be my way. Make a clone of it and then pop it in the post. I guess you will know if the new one turns up and does the same :(

Soldato
OP
Yea I recon so and that would be my way. Make a clone of it and then pop it in the post. I guess you will know if the new one turns up and does the same :(

Hoping the next one is good, Samsung are suppose to be the reliable guru's of the SSD world, reason I bought the thing, i've got 4-5 year old sandisk ssds still going strong.

Soldato
could always try a secure erase and start over again and see if that sorts the issue.

I remember the 840s had issues and needed a secure erase to get the read and write speeds back to normal until they released a firmware update to sort it.

I had one that had issues and was repair then 6 months later same issue again and they replaced it.

Soldato
OP
could always try a secure erase and start over again and see if that sorts the issue.

I remember the 840s had issues and needed a secure erase to get the read and write speeds back to normal until they released a firmware update to sort it.

I had one that had issues and was repair then 6 months later same issue again and they replaced it.

Is the secure erase in Magician software?

Oh yeah, it is, i'll give that a go now.

Associate
Is the secure erase in Magician software?

Oh yeah, it is, i'll give that a go now.
I have a Secure Erase option in the BIOS of my motherboard (ASUS Crosshair VII x470) - it's much easier to use than ether Samsung Magician or Parted Magic (which I used to use)

Did you manage to Secure Erase your SSD, and if so did it fix it?

Soldato

that was when they first inteoduced MLC and the controller didn’t work. It took them ages to sort it out.

Soldato
that was when they first inteoduced MLC and the controller didn’t work. It took them ages to sort it out.
There was a huge thread on here about it. I took one back to the shop I got it from once I found out about this as I could not be bothered to secure erase the drive every time the speeds dropped.

many years later and I now have a Samsung Evo 970 NVME 1tb and the drive is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom