Car decisions

Man of Honour
It's an umbrella, if it's not raining put it down :D

Especially in the E85, a car that is great with the roof down and miserable inside when it's closed.

Soldato
Haha nope it needs to be 19 degrees or it gets a bit nippy.

I suggest dressing appropriately. I drive the Morgan all year round, and the roof (nor the side windows) have been on that car in over a decade. :)

As Fox says, if it isnt raining then the roof should be down. The car has a heater, right? :)

Soldato
OP
I do use it when i feel it is appropriate. While i do appreciate all the suggestions of how often i should have the roof down if anyone could actually offer any insight into why its so slow opening that would be far more useful.

Man of Honour
I do use it when i feel it is appropriate. While i do appreciate all the suggestions of how often i should have the roof down if anyone could actually offer any insight into why its so slow opening that would be far more useful.

Unfortunately this is likely a sign that the motor is on its way out. It'll gradually slow to the point where it's difficult to get it to catch as the catch flicks out ahead of the arrival of the roof.

It could just be a bit stiff through lack of use but if it doesn't get better with use I'd start to budget for the inevitable.

Soldato
OP
I am resigned to it costing money. Waiting to hear back from my mechanic about potential costs. Just hoping there is a magic fix without spending anything.

Soldato
It's an umbrella, if it's not raining put it down :D

Especially in the E85, a car that is great with the roof down and miserable inside when it's closed.

This, you have to listen to all the horrible plastic interior rattles with the roof up....I know....I used to have a 3.0i Z4.

I am resigned to it costing money. Waiting to hear back from my mechanic about potential costs. Just hoping there is a magic fix without spending anything.

Yeah, it's called getting someone to relocate the roof motor into your boot for £200-£250, have a search on https://z4-forum.com/ loads of people across the country can do it.

Caporegime
I've seen that not any near cambridge and I'm not 100% it's the motor and even if it is dying then a relocation won't do much.

The motors are bulletproof they cannot die.

There are ones that have been completely encasdd in water for years been brought back to life.

If its losing power then its likely waterlogged in its case.

The guy in Durham will relocate to the boot for £80 iirc.

So it's worth the drive.

He will also top up the fluid. He topped mine up. Could be it needs more fluid.

It's likely waterlogged.

Or of its struggling they can sometimes not fold right and go out of track. You need to make sure you manually bend it into track when someone else hits the button.

Mine won't go fully down sometimes and needs a push at the end to lock in.

Man of Honour
The first one went to the dealer because the car was under warranty, so why wouldn't it?

The second we did ourselves on the drive.

Back
Top Bottom