• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5820k where's it stand today?

Soldato
Really happy with my move from 5820k to 3600, power use is a big one, in that it is way lower. Performance is up a little bit, and can drop a 4950x into comp when they are out :D

I wouldn't be happy at all. You would have been much better off dropping a 5960x in the rig you had, rather than side-grading to then upgrade to a 4950x in a year's time

Man of Honour
I wouldn't be happy at all. You would have been much better off dropping a 5960x in the rig you had, rather than side-grading to then upgrade to a 4950x in a year's time

Err are you seriously suggesting that he should have put in an overpriced 6 year old CPU with a TDP of 140w and that has a boost clock of 3.5ghz? While also putting up with a hugely outdated platform? I had to go and have a look at some reviews and as far as I can see the 3600 is a decent little upgrade, better fps across the board, much better in productivity, better platform. I also had to go and look at pricing on the 5960x and on an auction site they are seemingly commanding more money than a new Ryzen. This seems like terrible advice unless you can pick up one of those CPU's for no money and are willing to overclock it but I just can't see it matching the cheaper Ryzen.

Soldato

Maybe but I have found since going to Ryzen is much nicer to use my PC now it's not kicking out so much heat. At least the 5820K still had some value, that old stuff will lose a lot of value in the next year.

Soldato
Err are you seriously suggesting that he should have put in an overpriced 6 year old CPU with a TDP of 140w and that has a boost clock of 3.5ghz? While also putting up with a hugely outdated platform? I had to go and have a look at some reviews and as far as I can see the 3600 is a decent little upgrade, better fps across the board, much better in productivity, better platform. I also had to go and look at pricing on the 5960x and on an auction site they are seemingly commanding more money than a new Ryzen. This seems like terrible advice unless you can pick up one of those CPU's for no money and are willing to overclock it but I just can't see it matching the cheaper Ryzen.

Still pretty much a sidegrade... If your going to "upgrade" at least buy a 8 core.

I picked up a 5969x for £200 about 18 months ago. Sold my 5930k for £140

So for the sake of a few quid it would save loads of messing and money. But whatever AMD FTW

Man of Honour
Still pretty much a sidegrade... If your going to "upgrade" at least buy a 8 core.

I picked up a 5969x for £200 about 18 months ago. Sold my 5930k for £140

So for the sake of a few quid it would save loads of messing and money. But whatever AMD FTW

I just can't imagine spending £200+ on a 6 year old CPU running DDR3, USB2 etc regardless if it is AMD or Intel. Surely there has to be better moves even on Intel?

To put that into some context, I recently put a build together and the build has a 2700x, 16gb 3200 ddr4, and a b450 and those 3 items cost less than a second hand 5960x. (105 cpu, 45 board, £35 memory).

Soldato
lolz at 5960x

edit: ow I dont sell my hardware either, the 5820k bits have replaced a xeon 5650 rig, which is now sat in a box

Man of Honour
Go back and check a few more reviews. Then when you have educated yourself, let's talk sense ?

Here is the page for ARC page for the cpu: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...extreme-edition-20m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html
My bad I thought it was DDR3, either way it's still expensive, relatively slow out of the box, draws a load of power and actually isn't very fast even compared to entry level hardware today. If you genuinely think it's worth the £200+ it commands second hand then you crack on. I know where my money would be going and I wouldn't be putting it into a 5960x. It just seems like utter madness to me. Where do you go next?

Soldato
Here is the page for ARC page for the cpu: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...extreme-edition-20m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html
My bad I thought it was DDR3, either way it's still expensive, relatively slow out of the box, draws a load of power and actually isn't very fast even compared to entry level hardware today. If you genuinely think it's worth the £200+ it commands second hand then you crack on. I know where my money would be going and I wouldn't be putting it into a 5960x. It just seems like utter madness to me.

So the platform isn't much different from any other new platform, the power when overclocked (this is a overclocking forum after all) is pretty much the same. It would be a cheap upgrade and I don't care about 50p in electricity per year. ?

Lockdown getting to you? Making petty arguments ?

Man of Honour
So the platform isn't much different from any other new platform, the power when overclocked (this is a overclocking forum after all) is pretty much the same. It would be a cheap upgrade and I don't care about 50p in electricity per year. ?

Not at all. I'm just trying to work out the mentality of upgrading to 6 year old hardware that still commands crazy prices and puts you into a dead end in terms of future upgrades. Seems mental to me. As I said above, each to their own but imo my point remains and I genuinely believe it is poor advice.

Soldato

Can you back up the 50p electric difference claim?

Caporegime
A 5960x at £200 purchased 18 months ago isn't really a bad deal. The fact that there's an argument there for it shows we haven't progressed too much in terms of gaming performance. X99 boards still have USB 3.1 etc, it's just PCI-E 4 you're mainly missing out on but not a great deal of benefit to that yet.

Soldato
So staying, spend £80ish to get 2 more cores and minimal effort is poor advice, then what's yours? Because all I can see is a petty argument about it being ddr3, usb2 and slow out of the box :s oh and a bit more electricity

Maybe I calculated it wrong but it was sommot like £80 a year electric difference for me. Cost of electric uk avg + idle 140w x 18 hours a day = £180, vs 80w x18 hours a day = £94

?

Man of Honour
So staying, spend £80ish to get 2 more cores and minimal effort is poor advice, then what's yours? Because all I can see is a petty argument about it being ddr3, usb2 and slow out of the box :s oh and a bit more electricity

Mine would be don't bother at all. Put your money in your pocket and save for something decent if you are actually considering that move. That's the thing about opinions isn't it, you can argue with me all day long but that's never going to change. So I mistakenly got the platform wrong, but that doesn't matter or change the argument at all (the cpu you are recommending at this point is 5 generations and 6 years old) the socket died years ago, again investing approx £230 into that platform is madness. Your argument seems to center around the fact that you can sell one thing and buy something else at a given cost but then if you are going to be selling things anyway sell the whole lot to somebody like yourself that is willing to pay £200+ for that cpu and move to something a bit more modern.

Associate
I had a 5820k at 4.3ghz but the motherboard failed.

I couldn't find a replacement board at the right price so bought a 3600 and b450max.

The 3600 might be a little faster but for my use the difference is very minimal.

If you need more than 6 cores (I dont yet) the upgrade to a 3700 or higher might be worth it.

X99 boards still seem to be expensive, even second hand so you could sell your board and CPU and upgrade for a minimal cost.

I resused my x99 ram (3200) but I'm slightly compromising performance by doing so.

If your just gaming then I would try and hold out for another year or so for a more substantial upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom