• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Refresh) 3900XT/3800XT/3600XT

Caporegime
I think its a bit of a stupid move from AMD right now, just before the RyZen 4000 release, lets say people upgrade to these now and they do get a 10% performance uplift, who's going to bother upgrading to RyZen 4000 for a further 5-7% IPC gain ?

No no no.... Ryzen 4000 is not for another 6 months yet. AMD need to and absolutely should urinate on Intel's parade as soon as they make any "look at me" noise.

Soldato
No no no.... Ryzen 4000 is not for another 6 months yet. AMD need to and absolutely should urinate on Intel's parade as soon as they make any "look at me" noise.
I could see AMD doing a Zen3 refresh while waiting on AM5 DDR5 to be ready but im not so sure about a Zen2 refresh.

Soldato
No no no.... Ryzen 4000 is not for another 6 months yet. AMD need to and absolutely should urinate on Intel's parade as soon as they make any "look at me noise"

Ryzen 4000 is due for release in September, these are due July / Aug, 1 month before Ryzen 4000, I agree AMD should absolutely rain amber fluid all over Intel, but TBH anyone upgrading to the latest Intel chips is either a die hard Intel fanboi, an idiot, or just doesnt really know what they are letting themselves in for, good luck cooling that thing........you're going to need a 300w capable cooler and a 1000w PSU.

I think the real reason AMD are releasing these is a similar story to the 1600AF edition CPU's, they have too many 12nm IO controllers left from GloFlo which are probably still the original RyZen 3000 design, however, TSMC have moved the production to the refined 7nm chiplets and are no longer producing the originals, put the 2 parts together and you have a rebranded or refreshed, whatever you want to call it RyZen 3000XT, I actually thought they were going to call them the 3750X, 3850X and 3950X

Soldato
I think its a bit of a stupid move from AMD right now, just before the RyZen 4000 release, lets say people upgrade to these now and they do get a 10% performance uplift, who's going to bother upgrading to RyZen 4000 for a further 5-7% IPC gain ?

This is probably for those who haven't upgraded for a while or those that have to upgrade now and can't wait. There's plenty of 1000, 2000, 3000 owners and those can wait to buy Ryzen 4000.

Soldato
Ryzen 4000 is due for release in September, these are due July / Aug, 1 month before Ryzen 4000, I agree AMD should absolutely rain amber fluid all over Intel, but TBH anyone upgrading to the latest Intel chips is either a die hard Intel fanboi, an idiot, or just doesnt really know what they are letting themselves in for, good luck cooling that thing........you're going to need a 300w capable cooler and a 1000w PSU.

I think the real reason AMD are releasing these is a similar story to the 1600AF edition CPU's, they have too many 12nm IO controllers left from GloFlo which are probably still the original RyZen 3000 design, however, TSMC have moved the production to the refined 7nm chiplets and are no longer producing the originals, put the 2 parts together and you have a rebranded or refreshed, whatever you want to call it RyZen 3000XT, I actually thought they were going to call them the 3750X, 3850X and 3950X

September but which models? If 4950X is released on September with 4600X/4800X/4900X in December-Jan as some rumours state, then what? Is still 6+ months away
At least now can use the allocation on the N7P node and sell some products that not only will give extra life on B350/X370 but keeps Intel irrelevant :p

Soldato
September but which models? If 4950X is released on September with 4600X/4800X/4900X in December-Jan as some rumours state, then what? Is still 6+ months away
At least now can use the allocation on the N7P node and sell some products that not only will give extra life on B350/X370 but keeps Intel irrelevant :p

True, I think the role out will be like it was before though, 8 / 6 cores first, then 12, followed by 16, again I dont think AMD will be silly enough to release the most powerful out of the lot first that not really many want nor need, mid range SKU's first, thats the way id do it.

Soldato
You always release halo parts early if you can.
People see it, think 'I WANT IT' and get what they can afford...

Sad but true.
Why do you think both Nvidia and Intel try to claim a 'halo' part so hard?

So if its true that 4950/4900 are coming end of the year, and mainstream will be early next year; why not release some uprated Zen2 to hurt Comet Lake, and then the new Halo parts will come 3-6 months later with the general release 2-3 months later.

Ideal marketing as it keeps AMD in people's minds, and mindshare high, and they NEED mindshare more than anything.

Associate
Higher clocks don't fix the weak points of Ryzen like latency and gaming. But they improve the strong point, the multicore performance, possibly power efficiency.

If gain comes from moving to N7P, this is promising for Zen3. Makes sense for AMD to test/refine new tech process on Zen2 chips, because Zen3 engineering samples are not needed in high volume

Soldato
You always release halo parts early if you can.
People see it, think 'I WANT IT' and get what they can afford...

Sad but true.
Why do you think both Nvidia and Intel try to claim a 'halo' part so hard?

So if its true that 4950/4900 are coming end of the year, and mainstream will be early next year; why not release some uprated Zen2 to hurt Comet Lake, and then the new Halo parts will come 3-6 months later with the general release 2-3 months later.

Ideal marketing as it keeps AMD in people's minds, and mindshare high, and they NEED mindshare more than anything.
Agreed. 3100 & 3300 are parts exactly for that purpose to steal the exposure from the latest intel parts. If you at internet it is awash with excitement about the new budget “gaming” CPU from AMD. I bet AMD sells quite a lot of these as well as people probably ditch their 1000 & 2000 parts.

I mean some people will have a mindset that £100 isn’t that much for a bit of gaming performance improvement plus can always sell second hand for the zen 3 when they come out...

Soldato
And why not

it’s great to see a
Proper battle in the cpu sphere

amd needs to throw and land big punches while they can. Intel might be on the
Ropes but they
Have a huge r and d team and budget and you can guarantee they will be
Furiously working away on a strong counter or this decades core2 chips

there’s only one winner here: us the public

Associate
And why not

it’s great to see a
Proper battle in the cpu sphere

amd needs to throw and land big punches while they can. Intel might be on the
Ropes but they
Have a huge r and d team and budget and you can guarantee they will be
Furiously working away on a strong counter or this decades core2 chips

there’s only one winner here: us the public

also have Jim Keller who helped with zen

Caporegime
As I'm sitting on a 1600 and a B350, I will be keeping a close eye on these 3600XT chips, could be the last hurrah for my board.
Just hope MSI drop me a bios update for them.

I'm guessing if your board has already had a 3000 series update these should work fine, can't see any reason why they wouldn't as they're in the same family of 3xxx chips.

Associate
I'm guessing if your board has already had a 3000 series update these should work fine, can't see any reason why they wouldn't as they're in the same family of 3xxx chips.

Indeed it has, up to the 3950x - B350 krait gaming, been a really solid board.
Will most likely drop a 3800xt in, and that will do me for many years. 1600 still a decent chip, only struggles in the big 64 player maps.

Soldato
This makes sense against the rumours than Zen 3 has been delayed for a full launch until 2021. @Jamin280672 you say that but when Zen launched originally, the first SKU was the 1800X

This isnt good news at all, I just looked it up myself, possibly delayed until March / April next year, you do realize in that case, as we are getting a 100-200mhz clock increase on this refresh, this is actually RyZen 4000 effectively rebranded to 3xxxXT !!!! which puts there naming scheme in line with there GPU's.......think about it, if they are giving us the clock bump and the newer cores in the refresh, what are they going to give us extra in RyZen 4000 ?, and now the newer CPU's coming at the end of Q1 2021 doesnt mean they have to support them on the AM4 platform, they've always said they would only support it until 2020, which could mean the release of RyZen 4000, if it is delayed until 2021 could be 5nm and a new socket.

We'll just have to wait and see which news is true and which is just rumours, all of the engineering samples that keep popping up with the clock increase etc, could easily just be renamed to a 3xxxXT.

Soldato
this is actually RyZen 4000 effectively rebranded to 3xxxXT !!!!

Ryzen 4000 will have a different Core CCX layout, helping with the Ryzen's memory latency weak point, compared to Intel's CPU's, increased IPC (up to 15% if the rumours are true), use less power and will come with higher base & boost clocks.

..So its a lot more than just a rebrand.

Soldato
Ryzen 4000 will have a different Core CCX layout, helping with the Ryzen's memory latency weak point, compared to Intel's CPU's, increased IPC (up to 15% if the rumours are true), use less power and will come with higher base & boost clocks.

..So its a lot more than just a rebrand.

Its going to get a 100-200mhz clock increase which is what we are getting with the 3000XT's, and the only differences with the core layout is instead of two 4 core CCX's to make up a CCD / chiplet, they are hoping to make it one 8 core CCX per CCD / Chiplet, as well as a single 32mb of shared cache per CCD at the moment you have 2 x 16mb cache making the 32mb per CCD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom