• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Soldato
Yeah the 10600k does look good but for near on £100 more than the 3600 I don't think I'd consider it... Its at the same price as the 3700x which has more cores and threads, also there is a big TDP difference in the two.

Those were my thoughts. Plus with AMD B550 motherboards out next month and looking substantially cheaper than the Intel equivalents.

Soldato
I would have been impressed if Intel increased their core count in 2016 before they had competition. They could have easily released a 6c12t Core i5 and an 8c16t Core i7. Doing it in retaliation like this looks so two faced and full of reluctancy. How pathetic does this make them look?

Caporegime
Its a good CPU but £275 and its not as if you can drop this in a £70 Motherboard and run it under a £20 cooler.

The whole platform needs of this is priced high end, this is a very long way from a £250 to £300 mainstream platform that most of us like. Intel are not really bringing the price down here, they still want a high premium for the name.

Associate
Such a mess up by intel. So the i7 10 is similar to the 9900k and the 10900k is the last drops they can squeeze out of the architecture.

At least if it had pcie 4 it would be a considerable upgrade, now i'll wait until the 3 series cards are out and see what cpu is the best at the time.

So very disappointed in the release and the pricing both by intel and all retailers.

Dead on arrival

Soldato
Such a mess up by intel. So the i7 10 is similar to the 9900k and the 10900k is the last drops they can squeeze out of the architecture.

At least if it had pcie 4 it would be a considerable upgrade, now i'll wait until the 3 series cards are out and see what cpu is the best at the time.

So very disappointed in the release and the pricing both by intel and all retailers.

Dead on arrival

If you consider pcie 4.0 with Intel, Z590 and 11 series would be around the corner in 5 months.

Soldato

Dead on arrival

Ryzen's not that much better, it's slower in gaming that Intel's 5 year old Skylake architecture. Both vendors are equally pathetic - AMD for not being able to beat 14nm Skylake garbage in gaming, and Intel for being stuck on 14nm/Skylake.

Now is a bad time to buy a CPU, wait for Intel's proper next gen (Rocket and Alder lake), these have a 15-20% IPC improvement and will be the leap forward in gaming performance many care about.

Soldato
Zen 3 will wipe Intel out on all fronts.

Zen 2 should have - AMD's brand new architecture should have bettered Intel across the board, not just in niche heavily threaded apps that the vast majority don't use.

Zen 3 needs around 25-30% IPC to secure a win over Intel's next gen (willow cove) CPU's.

Associate
Ryzen's not that much better, it's slower in gaming that Intel's 5 year old Skylake architecture. Both vendors are equally pathetic - AMD for not being able to beat 14nm Skylake garbage in gaming, and Intel for being stuck on 14nm/Skylake.

Now is a bad time to buy a CPU, wait for Intel's proper next gen (Rocket and Alder lake), these have a 15-20% IPC improvement and will be the leap forward in gaming performance many care about.

Can't, i'm on a laptop with a 9880k / 2080 and it thermals so bad that hp want it for service under warranty. I was hoping to get a new system when the new nvidia cards are out just before the warranty ends :D

Soldato

Zen 2 beats Skylake most of the time now so that's a weird argument and a lot do more than just game. You must work for Intel to know they will have a 15-20% IPC improvement too.

I bought a 3900X and am very happy with it for gaming and everything else I use it for. I don't care that I get 80fps instead of 86 in one game and 120 instead of 125 in another.

Soldato
Since a lot of people here are generally confused on the different power related terms and intel, this should answer a lot of questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4th6YElNm5w

The thing is that many boards disregard Intel's TDP and enable all the stock enhancement features (short of actual overclocking) by default. So your casual 10900k owner puts this in his PC and loads optimized default bios and then he runs any multicore workload the CPU jumps t0 280w

Soldato
Zen 2 beats Skylake most of the time now so that's a weird argument and a lot do more than just game. You must work for Intel to know they will have a 15-20% IPC improvement too.

I bought a 3900X and am very happy with it for gaming and everything else I use it for. I don't care that I get 80fps instead of 86 in one game and 120 instead of 125 in another.
The games Digital Foundry tested again seem to show the biggest advantage to Intel right now.

Though those who game at 4k probably don't care either way, i game at 1440p high hz so hoping Zen 3 is a big boost personally.

Soldato

Why are you still spouting lies? All rocket lake leaks show IPC is worse than Comet lake. I dare you to show me a single source that has even 1% IPC improvement, I'll eat my hat

Back
Top Bottom