The "Rant about a game" thread

Soldato
Elite Dangerous is one for me.

What is there is awesome, it runs well, whole game feels slick, looks pretty, really well made, huge place to fly around and explore.

Basically the most awesome sandbox "base" to then build content on, yet they didn't put any content in.......

Or at least very little, which gets samey very fast and is such a shame. If you could merge Elite Dangerous with like the MMO dynamics of Eve Online for example, I'd probably never leave the house again.

Instead your left flying around thinking if only......

Soldato
World of Tanks : over-powered Soviet tank that never saw production simulator.

It can be played for free if you play Soviet tanks and have a spare year to grind them and you never try to fight one of the newer Soviet tanks as you’ll need Premium ammo to defeat them.

Don’t even start me on the French wheeled vehicles which can reach 85 KPH in either direction with autoloading, target tracking guns and tyres that can absorb all the damage from a high calibre AP shell.

Soldato
not a game but ranting about epic games launcher. it suck donkey balls.

got the £10 coupon so baught wildlands, downloads it then asked to download it again on uplay. tried to verify the game files but that failed for no reason so im now doing it a second time.

Soldato
Gotta agree with JC4.. Just bought it on the PS store for about £13 inc all the DLC.. I already had the disk version I got cheap and finished but thought it was worth that for just the dlc. Blasted through the Demon one and the Sub one and had a bit of fun but still, the game is not a patch on JC3. I really didn't like the changes to how you liberate bases and regions.

Associate
not a game but ranting about epic games launcher. it suck donkey balls.

got the £10 coupon so baught wildlands, downloads it then asked to download it again on uplay. tried to verify the game files but that failed for no reason so im now doing it a second time.
I have far cry 5 on epic all you have to do is link to your Uplay account it shouldn't have had to redownload so something in the process got messed up.

Caporegime
Battlefield V

Yet another game in the long list of dice games that seemingly has a load of inherent issues and players that are totally thick.

Team balance doesn't exist, doesn't just apply to BFV but quite a lot of them, the amount of games you can enter where one team totally steamrolls another is beyond ludicrous. Then the game moves onto the next map with the same team setups and you usually get a repeat of the last map.

At the moment the game seems to have a hacker in at least every other server, people racking up insane scores in short periods of time. And what do dice do about this? Sweet **** all that's what. You can do one of their pathetic little "reports" and weeks later see the same ******* "playing" the game doing the exact same thing. So whats the point of the reporting system? There's no anti cheat and they're just relying on player reports that they apparently don;t even bother looking at for the most part.

The game launched half finished, a lot of options have only recently been finished off in the game well over a year after it's release. And as usual it's a typical dice game with weapons being op, then nerfed to oblivion. Planes have always been a pain in the ass in BF games and Dice just seem to have a raging hard-on for them, just have to look at past bf games where if you as much as thought about getting into a tank you were basically a moving coffin with a 50 foot sign overhead saying "free kill". That's recently been addressed in a patch (last week) for bfv that made AA more effective, but again too little too late.

Design decisions also seem to be something where dice are seemingly on the troll. Take the Fjell map for instance, a relatively small map that suits infantry combat. But not content with that Dice shoehorns planes into the map (again demonstrating their raging boner for all things air based) and as a result the map is an utter farce. Bombers swooping in spamming bombs getting multiple kills in a single pass (10-15 isn't uncommon) and as a result the map is just an utter ***********. I can only presume whoever made the call for that map to have planes must have had some type of Brain injury prior to the games release.

While i'm on the subject of planes, dog-fighting comes to mind. Has anyone ever played as infantry and watched on the ground in awe at how retarded this looks? You have 2 idiots that "engage" in a "fight" that solely consists of turning circles over and over and over, it's like a sky merry go round and it usually ends when one pilot gets so bored he decided to plough his plane into the ground. And it's rarely ever been any different in bf games, it's just turning wars and nothing else. I've seen this crap go on for minutes at a time and wonder how utterly mind numbingly bored you must be to want to use a Plane in these games in the first place.

And it gets even better than that, you have people coming into servers that are Planes whores that go on opposing teams, then they take the planes and **** off to an area of the map and arrange their own little turning battles making the whole point of a Plane utterly redundant altogether.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
World of Tanks : over-powered Soviet tank that never saw production simulator.

Here's me thinking only War Thunder had a Soviet bias.

Battlefield V

Design decisions also seem to be something where dice are seemingly on the troll. Take the Fjell map for instance, a relatively small map that suits infantry combat. But not content with that Dice shoehorns planes into the map (again demonstrating their raging boner for all things air based) and as a result the map is an utter farce. Bombers swooping in spamming bombs getting multiple kills in a single pass (10-15 isn't uncommon) and as a result the map is just an utter ***********. I can only presume whoever made the call for that map to have planes must have had some type of Brain injury prior to the games release.

While i'm on the subject of planes, dog-fighting comes to mind. Has anyone ever played as infantry and watched on the ground in awe at how retarded this looks? You have 2 idiots that "engage" in a "fight" that solely consists of turning circles over and over and over, it's like a sky merry go round and it usually ends when one pilot gets so bored he decided to plough his plane into the ground. And it's rarely ever been any different in bf games, it's just turning wars and nothing else. I've seen this crap go on for minutes at a time and wonder how utterly mind numbingly bored you must be to want to use a Plane in these games in the first place.

And it gets even better than that, you have people coming into servers that are Planes whores that go on opposing teams, then they take the planes and **** off to an area of the map and arrange their own little turning battles making the whole point of a Plane utterly redundant altogether.

I hear ya brother.

War Thunder

Unfortunately I'm playing on my own now, both my mates have quit the game, but I'm persevering, I want my god damn Tiger tank. I KNOW I'm going to be disappointed with it, I've read the guides, it does not hold up well against other heavy tanks, but still I want 1. Only once I get that, will i consider quitting.

Pay to win is testing my patience today though.
I went up against a USA Calliope and it completely totaled us, those god damn rockets were killing me around corners, he was just spamming them through the smoke. It wasn't area denail, it was total devestation.

You can't earn the Calliope, you have to buy it, for 9740 Golden Eagles.
10000 Golden Eagles costs £60.21

Associate
Dark souls 3, just not my type of game, whether im getting older, but the constant button mashing, rolling, trying to dodge enemy attacks perfectly, i just found it boring and made me angry, just my opinion, and i found the PC ports of the series to be god awful, terrible keyboard and mouse support

Soldato
Annoying cut scenes you have to sit through every time you play through the game. Once is fair enough so you see the game story line, but forcing it every time without being able to skip is a pain. FC 5 was the last offender I remember this on - just **** off and let me get on and head shot the bad guys ffs !

Caporegime
Just thought of something from one of my favourite games and that is poorly implemented difficulty. Civ6 boosts the AI at the start of the game with more than you and gives them an inherent bonus throughout the game, rather than just making the AI play better.

pretty sure this is almost every game that exists.

The AI cheats like hell in ck2 also.

You can destroy your neighbours lands, destroy all his units, seek peace, somehow the guy goes from 500 to like 5000 soldiers in the time I went from around 1500 to 2000
and why are there armies always soo big at the start of the game, they seem to get soldiers trained at stupid speeds not possible for the player.

lets not forget racing games where the cars go faster or slower depending on if your infront of them or not the so called "rubber band mechanic" that used to be so popular

Soldato
Battlefield V

Yet another game in the long list of dice games that seemingly has a load of inherent issues and players that are totally thick.

Team balance doesn't exist, doesn't just apply to BFV but quite a lot of them, the amount of games you can enter where one team totally steamrolls another is beyond ludicrous. Then the game moves onto the next map with the same team setups and you usually get a repeat of the last map.

At the moment the game seems to have a hacker in at least every other server, people racking up insane scores in short periods of time. And what do dice do about this? Sweet **** all that's what. You can do one of their pathetic little "reports" and weeks later see the same ******* "playing" the game doing the exact same thing. So whats the point of the reporting system? There's no anti cheat and they're just relying on player reports that they apparently don;t even bother looking at for the most part.

The game launched half finished, a lot of options have only recently been finished off in the game well over a year after it's release. And as usual it's a typical dice game with weapons being op, then nerfed to oblivion. Planes have always been a pain in the ass in BF games and Dice just seem to have a raging hard-on for them, just have to look at past bf games where if you as much as thought about getting into a tank you were basically a moving coffin with a 50 foot sign overhead saying "free kill". That's recently been addressed in a patch (last week) for bfv that made AA more effective, but again too little too late.

I agree with everything you say really.

I actually liked BF1 I thought that was decent. I got BFV and initially like it but quickly like you become to see the failures.

On top of what you said (I guess this already applies to BF1 somewhat hypocritically) is that both sides all share the same guns, I mean WTF?

I know why they do it, it sorts balance out for one, plus makes unlocking weapons and micro transactions easier with a "shared weapon pool" but seriously, BF2 managed to do it. It's just lazy, Germans should have German guns, British should have British etc.

Caporegime
Titan Quest.

Got to the final level and for some reason the difficulty has increased so far above the rest of the game that I'm getting killed every few minutes. I'm pretty sure that after you quit and load it respawns all the enemies back again. My patience has run out and it's now one of those games I may never return to and don't see how it ends.

Soldato
Every thread seems to be 'rant about a game' thread. Either "its not working [for me] so its rubbish" or "Why's it not working" without doing any troubleshooting whatsoever.
We need a 'rant about people ranting' thread!

Soldato
What's getting me lately is buying a game on Steam with a release date fairly recent, e.g. 2016.
Only to get in the game and think it looks over 10 years old, then look it up on Wikipedia, and find it actually is over 10 years old.
Steam is basically lying to make you think games are newer than they are.

E.g. Titan Quest
Steam says: 2016
Actually Released: 2006

E.g. Grim Dawn
Steam says: 2016
Engine is the Titan Quest engine, from 2006.
True, but titan quest is a great game as well

Soldato
Titan Quest.

Got to the final level and for some reason the difficulty has increased so far above the rest of the game that I'm getting killed every few minutes. I'm pretty sure that after you quit and load it respawns all the enemies back again. My patience has run out and it's now one of those games I may never return to and don't see how it ends.

It's been a long time, but my recollection of this was that TQ is one of those games where your build doesn't really matter too much for most of the game, but then you get to a point where certain builds just don't work so well anymore.

I can't remember how respeccing works, but I do remember putting a lot of thought into my build for the endgame and later difficulties, and it did make things much more manageable. There were loads of build discussions on titanquest.net back in the day, but it's not been up for a while. Sure there must still be some live sites with build guides, though.

Caporegime
SWBF 1 and 2

2 is a lot better and more enjoyable but it could have been so much more, all they had to do was reskin bf 3/4.... or even the original battlefront games

BF 1 and 5

BF 1 was better in the end and bf 5, well, what a complete and utter **** up, there's no saving that.

Most frustrating thing is why they keep trying to reinvent the wheel, bc 2, bf 3 and 4 had it right in so many ways, spent years working on balance changes, fixing netcode etc. then it's like they go you know what, lets start from scratch....... ffs, just reskin, re-master, there's a reason people keep going back to bc 2, bf 3 and 4.....

Ark

Such a good game with so many good elements but lazy developers never took the time to optimize the game or fix bugs, instead, just pushed dlc, can't stand this as it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me want to never play the game again nor support any of their future titles

Battle Royale games

Just pure ****, don't know how people can enjoy camp in a building sim., worst of all, it has ruined a lot of innovation as every man and his dog are making these games and then you get companies like dice/ea trying to force it in newer games i.e. bf 5

This type of game has had its time not to mention, the amount of choice out there for people wanting this type of experience, let it die please so we can get back to some innovation or at least not have the game mode shoved down our throats with any somewhat new FPS

Soldato
Things that I hate:

- management of assets/economy: from the artificial limitation of items (bullets, money, armor, etc.), you find on NPC, inventory, trading and so on.

- AI: minimal improvements over the years, basically the same as they were 10 years back or more (sometimes worse). Basic stuff like using the same "uniform" to infiltrate a territory is still impossible and in games where this is possible, other artificial limitations make it "cringy". No real team work, no real routines for disengaging from battle depending on how is going or how resources (ie: bullets) evolve - "return to base", "regroup", "run for your life", etc... You do bad stuff? Just spawn "police" all over instead of the world reacting organically to your actions. Plus, after all these years, we only have a handful of them walking around. Talking about a "world"...

- gameplay:tied with the management of assets/economy - > lots of artificial limitations "just because", with little (if any) innovation. There is no scaling from easy to hard in complexity, just more grinding of sorts. Plenty of back steps over the years.

- story: especially true in sequels, downgrading of the skills of the character, sometimes to stupid levels just so that it fits within another "rpg grind" mechanic they've had in mind. Plenty of stereotypes, stuff that happens, because the writer wants it, not because it happens naturally in the game.

- hardware: lack of truly supporting the PC: resolution (multi monitor), low level api, sound, graphics, peripherals: joysticks, wheels, etc. in games that have assets normally controlled by them: planes, helicopters, cars...

- overall: lack of "realism" (within the game world, of course), with suspension of disbelief taking a nose dive at every turn: you spend 2 games gaining knowledge and skills, recovering your memories, but you have to start over the learning process in the third "just because", while your pupil remembers pretty well that stuff learned from you when the story demands it *** stealing stuff from people without them reacting to it *** saving people from execution so they could just return back to their own home, in the same village like nothing has happened *** finding journal type of writings in all the places where they shouldn't be, with a way that the author express itself resembles a writer rather than a real person *** finding just 3 bullets/1 arrow per incapacitated / killed enemy plus all the other artificial scarcity due to lazy programming (even more prominent in survival games) *** bullets making more damage just because you've got one level up *** shooting someone in the had or face (where there is no protection!) and do little damage instead compared to what it should *** inability to use items or severe handicap just because you're not at the right level ... and so on.

There's so much nonsense at every step that it feels like that bad action movie in which the hero has one pistol holding hundreds of bullets, piercing through body armor with no issue, while assault rifles can't pierce a vehicle's doors, only wound our her hero and so on...

Caporegime
There were loads of build discussions on titanquest.net back in the day, but it's not been up for a while. Sure there must still be some live sites with build guides, though.

Thanks, I never even thought about changing build. But I suppose when you choose the two remastery skills, you're stuck as they can't be undone. I don't feel like playing through it all again at the moment, it was way longer to play than I was expecting. Maybe in a couple of years. :p

Back
Top Bottom