"Delivery handed to resident" No, it wasn't!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
A package I ordered for my sister never reached her house this week even though the Amazon seller used RM tracked 24, apparently it was delivered and as such tracked and everything but it certainly was not delivered to her house. Anyway I raised a livechat message with Amazon who were understanding and promptly refunded the full amount and raised the issue with whatever team deals with this stuff. I bypassed the Amazon seller entirely and dealt with Amazon directly.

For reasons like this I'd buy a smart doorbell cam so it records whenever someone is stood by the doorway.

Soldato
can depend on the driver, although granted the covid rules are making it more the norm.

happens a lot to us, can't say i mind too much as generally they're left in sensible places out of sight/the elements, although i did once have a keyboard from ocuk left out in the rain. fortunately ocuk's packaging department have evidently had that happen before and it was well enough wrapped inside the box.

Associate
I have been lucky with deliveries, all the drivers have delivered things correctly, even had one who posted it through my open living room window when I was watching a film and didn't hear him, almost gave me a heart attack :) I did get one from Hermes who asked if I could take in a parcel for a neighbour, often do and no issue, it wasn't until they came to collect that they said they live nearly half a mile away :confused:

Soldato
Had it before where I had a card on the mat saying it had been left at my neighbour, #47. Our street doesn't have #47, it only goes up to #31. Knocked on every house in the street and nothing. Knocked on all the #47s in the surrounding streets with the same result.

Permabanned
Had it last year when I brought some shorts and a pair of jeans for my holiday. Two separate deliveries but only the shorts were delivered despite both being recorded as delivered. I can only assume the second delivery driver saw a package next to my bin and saw an opportunity.

First time a package failed to arrive and has never happened since I’ve had a camera installed. It actually really annoyed despite me getting refunded.

Associate
It's the race to the bottom with consumer parcel delivery I'm afraid.

This.
Not sure of any delivery company that is operating well for customers, receivers and staff.

I'm increasingly surprised when people buy from Amazon. Sure if the price is excessively better, but a few quid, why support the behaviour.

Man of Honour
Yeh I was looking at them but went with ring instead.

The advantage with Blink is that all the videos upload to the cloud for free so no subscription.
As I type my Mrs is setting the back ones off because I haven't disabled them.
I was going to buy a Ring but you still have the exact same delay as the Blinks so if somebody comes to the door and leaves 10 seconds later you still can't talk to them.

Soldato
Seems like the problem could have been avoided had you set up instructions on a safe place / what if I am not home - Amazon have been fine with mine - Always knock first, but if I am not home they use an allocated safe space in my garden. Not sure if it is just a northern thing, but I haven't had problems with deliveries from any company ever since City Link went out of business, with one exception when RM sent a package to Canada by mistake (where I live is the same name as a city in Canada and it's only happened once in 13 years). It did eventually get to me though!

Our hermes driver is excellent - Really nice chap and always very good with deliveries. I do find the amazon drivers to be very impatient and knock the door every 20 seconds..... Shows a lot about the pressure they are under.

Caporegime
A local Hermes driver went viral all over Facebook a couple of weeks back. He'd been keeping at least one parcel a day for himself, always something he knew would be expensive.

He got caught out by listing an item on gumtree and someone who's parcel didn't turn up clocked the very same item a few days later and said he'd buy it, met up in person and obviously got a mouthful and subsequently reported to the police :D

Man of Honour
Amazon, Royal Mail, Parcelforce and DPD are all operating the same way.
You need to actually read the stuff you link to. Not much surveying going on ;)

The page you link to states (my highlighting)

"There’s a lot that is still unknown about the Coronavirus but we know it’s best to minimise physical contact to stop the virus spreading. Because of this, we’re encouraging all of our customers to choose their preferred safe place for deliveries by following the Track & Divert link in the parcel notifications we send.
If a safe place hasn’t been chosen but there is somewhere safe to deliver the parcel, we’ll leave it there, even if there’s someone in the property – we’ll take a photo which will be included in the delivery notification email.
If no safe place is available or a signature is required
, we’ll knock on the door and step aside making sure the parcel is delivered safely. For those parcels requiring a signature, couriers have temporarily been given approval to confirm receipt on behalf of a customer; but only when that customer has answered the door and given them permission to do so. This has been put in place to minimise contact. If there is no answer, the parcel will be returned to our depot and we will attempt delivery 3 times."

So no, they do not have to see you accept the parcel. If no signature is required, they can just leave it and go. "Somewhere safe" is up to the judgement of the driver.

Amazon (who the OP is discussing) state (again, my highlighting):

"Is it possible to reduce contact with the driver when they deliver my order?
Yes. Amazon’s delivery associates and partners have been advised to reduce contact with customers, this may include placing packages at the customer’s doorstep and stepping back. If an ID check is required, the driver will complete the check at a distance. You can also choose a safe place location where the driver can leave your package if you can’t answer the door. Drivers are asked to follow your delivery preference where possible. You are able to set your delivery preference during checkout on the Review your order screen by clicking on Add delivery instructions and selecting your desired safe place option."

If no ID check is required (and this is determined by Amazon, not the receiver) then again, the driver is under no obligation to wait for you to open the door and see you take the parcel.

Man of Honour
OP
Seems like the problem could have been avoided had you set up instructions on a safe place [..]

Which would be where, exactly? Are you intending to argue that people too poor to afford higher grade housing shouldn't be allowed to have anything delivered to their home?

The problem could have been avoided if either (a) the delivery was on even the right day, let alone any particular time or (b) it wasn't left on the street without even a card delivered to say anything.

Man of Honour
Had it before where I had a card on the mat saying it had been left at my neighbour, #47. Our street doesn't have #47, it only goes up to #31. Knocked on every house in the street and nothing. Knocked on all the #47s in the surrounding streets with the same result.

Our house # is 47, but my hand to God, we don’t have your parcel, but I digress, we don’t order much, but the drivers have almost always rung the intercom buzzer, said, “Delivery”, and when I open the street door, the parcel has been on the ground, while the driver has been standing at the end of the drive, maybe 15/16 metres from the door.
What has been giving us the zig, is the fact that after I successfully applied for a priority supermarket delivery slot, somehow a government department deemed that as an old codger, I qualified for a “care package” of free food weekly
The first one came, the guy rang the intercom, said “Delivery”, and taken aback, my first thought was, ‘don’t look a gift horse in the mouth’ and I took it in, only to have second thoughts, and give it to the nearest food bank.
Since then we’ve had another 3 deliveries, each time the buzzer has been rung, and then the driver has disappeared.
I’ve Googled, telephoned, and emailed, but nothing seems to stop these food deliveries, I’m trying to do the right thing, and get them diverted to someone more in need, but it’s like banging your head against a brick wall.
Yesterday, my wife did a Dominic Cummings, and took bags of the stuff to her father in Canterbury, who although marginally older than me, somehow doesn’t qualify for a care package!

Back
Top Bottom