File copying slow to 1MB to/from Server

Soldato
OP
I can see quite obviously, that IF I was, for example, copying from NAS 1 to one of the kids PCs, then the file has to go

NAS x to Switch to router to powerline through the house electrics to powerline to Switch to PC

So thats 5 Ethernet Cables, plus the house Electrics...

Thats obviously not good. But the speed isnt that bad at all.

But as I said, I have not used them for some time.

If I just use my own, its only going from SERVER to Switch to PC - 2 Cables. Its many many times slower.

-------

Im thinking about the Switch. The Netgear GS116.

Could that somehow block up on one PC and let the rest work ok?

I have changed over ports and thats made no difference.

I could for the time being use an 8 port and a 5 port together to have a play

The switch is getting on I suppose and its the ONLY thing that I have not changed???

Soldato
The switch doesn’t support Spanning Tree Protocol, so it could allow loops but if you only have one cable from each device and there are no cables you haven’t drawn in, there shouldn’t be any loops.

The only thing that looks out of place to me is that the Powerlines come off the ASUS AC68U rather than the main switch. The WLAN also comes from that device I would imagine but as you’re not using the Powerlines that shouldn’t cause a loop.

Is every connection shown? In this configuration do you still see the slowdown?

Soldato
Switch out the gs116 for a quick check to see if speeds improve. I guess it might be damaged. It would certainly be nice to have a solution to this.

Soldato
OP
The powerline is connected to the switch purely because my computer room is built in the side extention of the house and it has its own power meter ( Cos I have so much rubbish in there ) and using the Powerlines through them is almost sometimes useless.

I did have it connected in the computer room but it was awful. It worked but it was awful.

Is every connection here?
Yes, I think so. Thios was done from my head, but later today, I am going to get my son and daughter to give me a hand to go through it all.

One thing I have noticed, is that the powerlines have an orange LED and they are supposed to be yellow, but orane is poor and RED is smack bottom time. That will at least get the kids more likely to help cos they use them while they are at home, and who knows, I might fix the slowdown too!

And yes, the Server is only using one cable . As I said using two was purely a trial.
Now, the cable is still connected etc but the port is disabled. This is because the Server is dumped in the corner of the garage ( nice and cool ) plus there is loads of garbage around it so its not easy to get at.
There is not going to be an issue with that is there?

It was just easier when I was doing this, to feed another Ethernet cable through the wall.

I was also considering using the Server as a firewall and as a full proper server that everything went through, including installing Windows and doinmg updates and all that, but in the end I kind of realised Im an idiot, and could not be bothered.
Now it just sits there and keeps copies of copies of copies of utter junk. Lots of por.. erm, education documentaries too!

Soldato
OP
Hmm...

Quick run... As I said, whenever I reset or restart the server, it always goes to about 40MB instead of 1 or 2MB

Well, I have just plopped the old Negear GS208 on, its 12v like the other but 1.0a and the 16 port is 1.5a so its fine, the PSU will be fine and I did NOT reset anything.. It would all reconnect soon enough!

I copied a 6GB Film from the Server to my Desktop.

Lowest speed was 98MB and I saw it go to 126MB

This is clearly a difference.

I will see how it goes later on... It always slows down after some time, so... While the change of Switch is definitely a huge difference, and encouraging... Its also meaningless right now.

Soldato
OP
Bottom line is get rid of powerline and get cat5e installed between the switches.

Yes thats a given. It was you who said this before.

There is 2 reasons why I have not yet done it...

1 - I live in a huge house. The distance that I will need the wiring to be, is quite astonishing. I do however have a reel that I bought last year ready to do it.

2 - I have 3 kids, our youngest we kicked out and the other 2 are both in University and live in their dorms. So the upstairs computers were never needed, therefore the switch was not needed either. Similarly, The wife and I never both with Sky, we ended up cancelling it to be honest so why its still even plugged in, I dont know, but the Media Center is the ONLY device that needs access to the Network and so I have a WIFI card in it and so thats sorted that out.

Ok, its gone 1am, so, tomorrow, I will remove the powerlines and get everything that wants access onto WIFI.

Soldato
OP
As long as the cable runs between devices are under 100m (for each cable), it won't be a problem.

Oh yes, I agree with that, but its more that my wife does not want our house with wires all over the gaff.

The thing is, that in our last house ( Admittedly it was only a small house ) but I had my PC in the living room, and the phone box was in the kitchen, and I had first converted the attic into a computer room, and then I extenmmded the house and built a really nice LAN Room for me and the kids and their friends to play games, and all that was all wired up and I had hidden it all with small trunking that I then painted over,. and while I knew where it was, it soon became completely invisible, and that was there even when we moved out. ( It was a housing assoc house and I said to the women who was gettign it after us, what I had done and since taking it all down would wreck the wallpaper etc, she said leave it. So I did.

You know, even though I extended the house and converted the attic, I did it without the Housing Associations permiossion so they charged me to remove it... They never removed it and I successfully managed to get my money back LOLOLOLOL

Anyway, I am waffling... This house is absolutely huge compared to our old house and Sharon does not want me to do any cutting or messing.
The rotten thing is that there is a whole load of phone cables that I could simply take up and put down ethernet in its place, so if anything Iwill tidy it up, but she does not want it.

But this is all by the by.

You will be happy to hear, that I now no longer use any Powerline / Homeplugs / whatever they hell they are called.

But anyway, with the GS208 Switch, in place of the GS116 its now running quick as its supposed to be, plus, I am now void of the Powerlines.
The GS208 is only an 8 port and I really do need 10, and so, I suppose I could move the 2 DLinks to connect them to the router perhaps? They are not used that often and they only copntain my Mac and Atari Backups anyway.

Hopefully this pic comes out and if you check the speed, this was a very solid 112-113 without much fluctuation. Obviously smaller files will be different, but this does show the constant flow copying from a 10GB Drive on the Server, to the Desktop on my Main PC. - The length of the cables are 32feet ( SVR to Switch ) and 12 Feet ( Switch to PC ) - I know this because they are all made cabloes by myself and I hve made them as short as I can but still allowing for flexibility and cocking up the connection ( LOL )

ujWf9i6.jpg

I also need to add, that the spoeeds were fixed when I changed the router.

I know that I have tried the router becore and that never made any difference and so this time, rather than quickly doing bits and bobs, I have gone over the entire network making sure that it is as good as I can get it.

The Powerlines Bledd has told me before to get rid and I know I needed to, but now its done. They have been very handy though, I wont judge them harshly because they did their job and they did it well. But with 3 kids and a berk who has 2 computer rooms, plus a garage for his server and a stupid amount of bits for a home that need plugging in, "simply going to Ethernet" just isnt happening when the wife wont let you! LOL

She might change her mind when Peaky Blinders starts glitching again tonight LOL

But what I am saying is that for the moment, it does seem to be cured. So I owe each and every one of you a round of applause and a kiss so thanks guys, I really do mean it.

I am not going to lie... I will put the GS116 back on and if it slows down, I will know for sure but if the speed stays up, I will leave it there, but at least I know now that the Switch is definitely the reason ( Im sure Bledd said that before too! )

Thanks guys.

Soldato
OP
I wish.
I bought a Honda SuperFour last year... I was going to buy it for my son to give him a boost to pass his test, but he was being nothing but a tool and the thing is, it was such a sweet little thing that in the end I just bought it anyway.
Trouble is, the exhaust was a lot more rotten than I thought and the black paint hid the real rot. it popped a hole right behind the bend at teh top so I took the pipes off and it was only then, that I found the real problem... Normally you have 4 pipes coming from the head, they go into a 4 into 1 collector box then you have the silencer right... Well, these have all been welded up into one whole piece... This was due to the rot I recon and now its just a load of rust.
The snag is, that this means I need the whole thing and so far the cheapest I have found is £600 ( with delivery )
Not only that, but my Trike has sodded up and thats only firing on two cylinders... I had a new Dizy cap and rotor arm, and plugs & HT Leads etc, all put on it about 5 months ago, and I know I should have gone electronic. so that needs sort ing out.
The CAR MOT was due, but thats been set back to October for this C19 Marshal law practise run, but I also need to give that a full service too, and so I have lots of money to pay out in the next few weeks.
Oh, and one of my Laptops is being held captive by some naff shop in scotland because they have dumped a perfectly good screen and now they are charging me for it, because they diagnosed the wrong bit.
So yeah, a Switch is the last thing I can buy right now, unless I sell off one of my PCs of course!

But yeah, its still looking good.

Im still running a little paranoid cos it always does run fine for a little bit before it slows down, but the thing is, that it has been doing at tops, 40MB when its running good and now its over 100 so that shows me that it MUST be right.

Back
Top Bottom