Lack of good games nowadays?

Caporegime
Even when you look at this sub-forum, there is hardly anything at all other than the usual snore fest battle royale games along with cod, gta 5 and that's about it really.... Seems like even some games that do look promising always have zero longevity to them.

Have noticed the same with youtubers too, other than when they have their sponsor videos to get out, they are going back to older games.

Seems like there is only the last of us 2 and cyberpunk, there doesn't look to be a whole lot on the horizon for this year either :/

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020

Soldato
Really enjoyed The Outer Worlds recently, Gears Tactics, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Streets of Rage 4 are all fun too. I hear a lot of positives about Control too.

Cyberpunk coming up as you mentioned. A lot of indie titles to enjoy although that’s not really my scene. Also looking forward to Flight Simulator.

I do get where you coming from though, there has been a lot of stagnation in recent years. I always find it good to take a break from gaming and then come back to it.

Caporegime
OP
Really enjoyed The Outer Worlds recently, Gears Tactics, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Streets of Rage 4 are all fun too. I hear a lot of positives about Control too.

Cyberpunk coming up as you mentioned. A lot of indie titles to enjoy although that’s not really my scene. Also looking forward to Flight Simulator.

I do get where you coming from though, there has been a lot of stagnation in recent years. I always find it good to take a break from gaming and then come back to it.

Will give outer worlds a try as does look a bit more unique.

Enjoyed fallen order as well except for the rather bland maps and always running back through the map to face respawned enemies again and again....

Couldn't get into control.

Likewise, indie titles aren't my thing either.

I have tried to get into and like the witcher 3 so many times now but just can't get into the clunky boring combat and the 15 minutes of pointless waffling every time you interact with a NPC, I don't mind some of this element but tw3 took the ****....

Might reinstall fallout 4 and get it modded up as I love it (yet another case of revisiting older games :D)

Can you change the title to Lack of games i enjoy nowadays.

There's literally more games available right now than ever. Try harder.

Knew there would be a couple :D

Tell me this, if I am alone then why is it that most of the guys I play/played games with have either:

- spend their entire time racing on iracing etc. now when they used to play a huge range of games
- spend more time in gta 5
- some still play bf 5, god help them.... but do often go back to bf 4 too
- they try new games like me, enjoy it maybe for a day or 2 and then never play again.....

And as mentioned, gone are the days where this sub-forum had many active threads on a variety of games plus the other point, youtubers seem to be struggling with getting into most of the new titles and this is more than likely down to their views as they are crap with newer titles so they have had to go back to older games, or sadly, back to those camp in a building "royale" shooters.... :o

Last edited:
Associate
Will give outer worlds a try as does look a bit more unique.

I have tried to get into and like the witcher 3 so many times now but just can't get into the clunky boring combat and the 15 minutes of pointless waffling every time you interact with a NPC, I don't mind some of this element but tw3 took the ****....

Might reinstall fallout 4 and get it modded up as I love it (yet another case of revisiting older games :D)

Witcher 3 is really really dull so i'll join you there :D

I actually find making way through Fallout 4 VR quite good, played totally differently from the standard version, everything much slower pace so may give that another go.

Halo stuff is decent for a good old blast for a few mins

Soldato
Well its because AAA games these days are designed to suck every waking minute out of you with the so called 'progression' mechanics and grind.

There is an absolute wealth of quality stuff available for peanuts if you expand your field of view but if your brain is firing off the manipulated AAA online grind system s (its what they are designed to make you do) then single player games are obviously not go to give you that hit.

If you can, try something totally different. VR is one of the best things I've bought in years.

Soldato
Sort of funny seeing people say they find Witcher 3 dull but love Fallout 4.

My opinion is pretty much the polar opposite, outside of the Far Harbor DLC I found FO4 to be a pretty terrible game. Then again, the only modern Fallout I've enjoyed was New Vegas.

It seems like you might just be burning out if you have a fairly narrow view of what you'll play.

Last edited:
Soldato

My opinion is pretty much the polar opposite, outside of the Far Harbor DLC I found FO4 to be a pretty terrible game. Then again, the only modern Fallout I've enjoyed was New Vegas.

It seems like you might just be burning out if you have a fairly narrow view of what you'll play.

Why is it funny seeing other people have different opinions?

Caporegime
OP
Any recommendations @Columbo and @Gray2233 ?

I loved some unique games like firewatch.

Might try to get back into some of the zombie mods for source engine as really enjoyed the likes of zombie panic source etc. back in the day. Love watching 7 days to die videos but it's a case of again, seems quite buggy and not finished, not to mention graphics are dire and got no one to play with :p

And yup I was going to buy the rift s but.... it seems to only really be alyx, which is a "proper" game, most of the other VR games seem to be more just demos than actual proper games? I definitely intend on picking up one at some point in the next year or 2 but £400+ is an awful lot of money just for 1-2, maybe 3 games?

2 games, which I really got into was AC origins and odyssey because of the game worlds but they were so repetitive after a while, especially odyssey.

Associate
I’ve enjoyed Bannerlord. When it’s out of EA which seems a long way off and mod fees get hold of mod tools it will get far better.

At present the developers are on a mission to make the game unplayable.

Soldato
Any recommendations @Columbo and @Gray2233 ?

I'm currently playing through Alien Isolation and very much enjoying it, it still looks great imo, I don't play a lot of 'horror' games as most of them are pretty predictable, but the developers absolutely nailed the atmosphere in Isolation.

If you can grab hold of a friend, We Were Here is an excellent little game, only a couple of hours long but it's free:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/582500/We_Were_Here/

It requires you and your friend to communicate via voice comms and work cooperatively to get through a castle full of puzzles and the like. One of you is navigating the castle itself while the other is in a Library looking up information and guiding him.

The Darksiders games are all pretty good, I've yet to play the latest but it seems to have had a mostly positive reception.

Greedfall was a lot of fun, not perfect by any means but a solid RPG with an interesting theme.

The latest Devil May Cry was awesome.

All fairly different types of games, it's sometimes worth going outside of your comfort zone and seeing if anything grabs you.

Why is it funny seeing other people have different opinions?

I just find it interesting and a little amusing that people can have such polarising opinions about the same hobby. Nothing wrong with it, it'd be a boring world if we all had identical views.

Caporegime
OP
I'm currently playing through Alien Isolation and very much enjoying it, it still looks great imo, I don't play a lot of 'horror' games as most of them are pretty predictable, but the developers absolutely nailed the atmosphere in Isolation.

If you can grab hold of a friend, We Were Here is an excellent little game, only a couple of hours long but it's free:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/582500/We_Were_Here/

It requires you and your friend to communicate via voice comms and work cooperatively to get through a castle full of puzzles and the like. One of you is navigating the castle itself while the other is in a Library looking up information and guiding him.

The Darksiders games are all pretty good, I've yet to play the latest but it seems to have had a mostly positive reception.

Greedfall was a lot of fun, not perfect by any means but a solid RPG with an interesting theme.

The latest Devil May Cry was awesome.

All fairly different types of games, it's sometimes worth going outside of your comfort zone and seeing if anything grabs you.

Yup alien isolation is a fantastic game, might reinstall as I only played it once and that was on my LCD display, will be like a new game on the oled given how dark it is!

Will check out those other ones, thanks.

Completely forgot DMC 5 was out too....

Soldato

See, I loved Fallout 4, admittedly did mod the crap out of it, but..... I thought far harbour was awful, that fog (which I get the whole plot was based around) ruined what otherwise would have been a really great map.

I agree with you on New Vegas, I thought it was tons better than fallout 3, which imo was a bit mediocre.

I guess it shows everyone is different.

Associate
Even when you look at this sub-forum, there is hardly anything at all other than the usual snore fest battle royale games along with cod, gta 5 and that's about it really.... Seems like even some games that do look promising always have zero longevity to them.

Have noticed the same with youtubers too, other than when they have their sponsor videos to get out, they are going back to older games.

Seems like there is only the last of us 2 and cyberpunk, there doesn't look to be a whole lot on the horizon for this year either :/

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020
Agree even for multiplayer games I see friends quickly fall back to their go to games. New AAA releases seem few and far between. And when they do release they are not up to standard. Also at the moment we are living in the remake/remaster era which wouldn't be too bad but some can't even get that right!

Soldato
If your anything like me, then you will have noticed that your era of gaming has long gone now.
There’s only a handful of games each year that I’m interested in only a few of those are fully released rather than a “please fund our concept by purchasing in alpha stage and we might finish the game, properly, at some point, maybe” game.

There’s few passion projects and/or well produced games that aren’t a milking project with BR modes, overly cinematic that you’re guiding your way through a film, or just changed so much over the newer releases that it’s not the game you remember.

And there’s companies like DICE who just sell their souls to the devil for money and sully the IP that you’ve played for literally decades.

bleugh.
Something, something I’m well into my 30’s, something something.

Associate
stop looking for that triple A block buster that costs £40-50 or even more.
You play them flat out for a week or so and then never go back as they offer zero replayabilty.
Gears Of War tactics a prime example. Looks great, plays great, soudns great, awesome engine. Zero replayabilty once you have completed it.

Avoid any game thats free to play. The grind will be real in one way or another and it will sap your enjoyment.

Start trying the low budget, indie dev games and those in the 20-25 region.

Rim World, Astroneer, Deep Rock galactic.
You will get much more longevity out of a passion project that has months of replayabilty.

Back
Top Bottom