Epic Games Store now open!

Soldato
Noob question but how does the free games thing work? Is it free forever or just for a month or so?

I like how free GTA V has knackered the Rockstar Launcher. Couldn't log in last night at what was a presumably busy time in the USA. I thought most people would have GTA V by now.

Caporegime
That’s pretty decent. I still refuse to sign up for a different launcher though :p:D

I don't know why people are so loyal to Steam.

Yes it's probably the best launcher, and yes most of my games are on it, but what have they ever given me for free with all that money they make?

And why haven't they upgraded their big picture mode to support resolutions higher than 1080p?

Man of Honour
I don't know why people are so loyal to Steam.

Yes it's probably the best launcher, and yes most of my games are on it, but what have they ever given me for free with all that money they make?

And why haven't they upgraded their big picture mode to support resolutions higher than 1080p?

I'm not particularly favourited of any launcher, they are all out to make money , not to be our friends and please us, so I have no affiliation to any launcher. In fact I currently have Battle.net, Epic, EA, Steam, Uplay, Bethesda Launcher, Rockstar, MS Gamepass and GOG launchers all installed (though obviously I am not a total idiot and I only have the one running that I am using at that moment in time). Most of my games (332 of them) are on Steam but I'm certainly not going to turn down a free game from Epic (if its one I want) or indeed from any other launcher. Free game is a free game imo :)

Caporegime
OP
I've got quite a decent library of free games, and still not given them a penny. So from my point of view free has been free.

Same. Even that £10 voucher is not persuading me to buy anything. Now if there was something truly exclusive, say published by their own label that would never appear on Steam, then I might be tempted. But otherwise, I just play the waiting game.

Soldato
If they ever actually manage to get a dominant market share I guarantee they will turn it into a subscription service... so enjoy those "free" games while you can :)

Once Amazon and whoever else with deep pockets realise it's a business model that works we'll be in the same situation as we are now with TV... needing a Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime etc. subscriptions all separately just to be able to watch what you want

Man of Honour
If they ever actually manage to get a dominant market share I guarantee they will turn it into a subscription service... so enjoy those "free" games while you can :)

Once Amazon and whoever else with deep pockets realise it's a business model that works we'll be in the same situation as we are now with TV... needing a Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime etc. subscriptions all separately just to be able to watch what you want

At least with Amazon Prime I get TV, a free Twitch Subscription and 2 hour same day delivery, I also have Audible subcription as I save loads on that by getting the "free" credits each month and of course Netflix. I dont bother with Hulu,Britbox or Disney+ though, they dont have enough on them for me to want them. I do have Sky but I dont have BT Sport. Obviously I have a paid broadband sub rather than a free one. I have a paid MS Gamepass subscription because I mean...just got SO much good stuff out of that. All in all, I'm pretty content with my various subscriptions so far, I weigh up a potential subscription, consider how much I would get out of it and then sub to the ones I want.

Soldato
At least with Amazon Prime I get TV, a free Twitch Subscription and 2 hour same day delivery, I also have Audible subcription as I save loads on that by getting the "free" credits each month and of course Netflix. I dont bother with Hulu,Britbox or Disney+ though, they dont have enough on them for me to want them. I do have Sky but I dont have BT Sport. Obviously I have a paid broadband sub rather than a free one. I have a paid MS Gamepass subscription because I mean...just got SO much good stuff out of that. All in all, I'm pretty content with my various subscriptions so far, I weigh up a potential subscription, consider how much I would get out of it and then sub to the ones I want.

Guess you weren't a bit fan of Punisher or the other Marvel shows on Netflix? Which Disney+ pulled off of it most likely so they can put it on their own service. Great for consumers eh?

Associate

What are you smoking? We already have that and it has nothing to do with epic games! Uplay sub? Origin access? Microsoft game pass? PlayStation now? Stadia? Even humble bundle has a subscription service. But yeah epic games will get us with those free games and make us pay.

Soldato
What are you smoking? We already have that and it has nothing to do with epic games! Uplay sub? Origin access? Microsoft game pass? PlayStation now? Stadia? Even humble bundle has a subscription service. But yeah epic games will get us with those free games and make us pay.

I mean, I'm not smoking Epic's pole, guess I'm in the wrong thread :p

Caporegime
OP
But yeah epic games will get us with those free games and make us pay.

That makes it sound like they will lock all those free games in your library they have given away and make you pay a monthly sub to play them. I don't think that would happen but the free games will come to an end at some point and then they may offer their own Game Pass service. I think Steam are actively looking at doing the same thing.

Man of Honour
That makes it sound like they will lock all those free games in your library they have given away and make you pay a monthly sub to play them. I don't think that would happen but the free games will come to an end at some point and then they may offer their own Game Pass service. I think Steam are actively looking at doing the same thing.

To be fair to Epic they have at least already extended the free game giveaway beyond its original endpoint, so fair play to them for that and yeah I wouldnt be surprised if steam became subscription at some point too, especially if everyone else is doing it. Not many people that I know would baulk at paying 3.99 a month for Steam, even more so if paying that got you some extras

Back
Top Bottom