Hit a gas pipe in the garden

Associate
Hi all, what started off as a nice day doing a bit of gardening took a rather different turn. Basically I was digging out a flower bed swung my spade in to the ground and suddenly heard a whoosh gas. Looked at the ground and saw a bright yellow pipe with a chunk missing out of it. Quickly rang gas emergency and within an hour 2 Northern Gas vans were outside my house.

Now I was surprised not only to find the gas pipe running through a flower bed but also that the gas pipe was just over 10cm in to the ground. Which seems extremely shallow. When I pointed out how shallow it was to one of the gas guys he agreed it should have been deeper and said something along the lines of "well whoever installed it was being lazy".

They've repaired the pipe, dug it a little deeper though not much and also had to dig a chunk out of my driveway. My main concern is if I'm going to get charged for this. When mentioned to the first guy that turned up he said, well you shouldn't do there's a few different codes I can report this as so I don't think so. I've kept a picture to show how shallow it was dug just in case I need some sort of evidence. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

6PzDh0s.jpg

Soldato
When I had a gas connection laid in my garden about 7 years ago (by Northern) it wasn't laid very deep as obviously I went out to have a look before the reinstatement guys turned up a few days later to fill the holes in. Don't know if it's normal or if it's just lazy don't give a **** attitude that all trades have these days.

Soldato
Its well under the required depth for a gas pipe, it should also have gas tape/ribbon 10cm above the pipe, that said if it was installed by mole then depth at the external side of the property could be lower than on your property.

Will you be charged? I would say not but you never know, Down by me is Wales and West and they will charge if you hit a pipe that is at correct depth but wont for pipes under correct depth. It should be well under Spade depth IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would want that lowering to the correct depth to avoid any future accidents. Children could easily dig 10cm in flowerbeds, which is a worry if it is suggested they plant some bulbs to help out, while forgetting about the gas pipe that shouldn't be where it is. Okay, that might be slightly exaggerated, but I wouldn't be comfortable knowing it's a potential hazard in the future.

Caporegime
Its well under the required depth for a gas pipe, it should also have gas tape/ribbon 10cm above the pipe, that said if it was installed by mole then depth at the external side of the property could be lower than on your property.

Will you be charged? I would say not but you never know, Down by me is Wales and West and they will charge if you hit a pipe that is at correct depth but wont for pipes under correct depth. It should be well under Spade depth IMO.

Never seen a gas pipe with tape over it. Only electric. It is pretty shallow mind. I'd also put a layer of concrete over the top.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Never seen a gas pipe with tape over it. Only electric. It is pretty shallow mind. I'd also put a layer of concrete over the top.

Had 2 Gas connection done in the last 10 years where I've done the Ground work and reinstatement and both times required tape.

Associate
I think it would be very unjust if they charged you, if anything they should put it fully right at their cost to avoid any future accidents, should have been done correct in the first place.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Was gonna say, I deal with the stuff constantly and can't recall seeing it as a requirement anywhere. As Lee says, it's impossible if you mole.

Makes sense to put it in where possible for the sake of a few pence a meter.

Soldato
I'm a landscaper and I hit a pipe that wasn't in the ground much at all. I'll have to check the pictures.

The lads that came out were sound, I dug around the pipe for them, before they came so, it was a quick job.

From what I gather, there's no regs on older houses about depth. So if you got it it's your fault and have to pay up.

One of the lads said just tell them to do-one and not pay up as it was only just under the soil.

As it happens they never sent me a bill. But I was told to expect a hefty bill.

In total 4 vans came with 2 lads in each, they all told me a different story as well.

Just looked back at my pictures. 18cm down it was. But on the picture we made it look like it was 12 :D maybe they put that in a report so I got away with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
This was laid in 2013 and is no way 30cm+ deep.

1590374179.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the advise. As it turns out I had to get them over yet again today. About a foot past yesterday's repair in the pipe we noticed a rusty tent peg clean through one side and out the other. Wasn't done by me as I've not lived here long. Guy came over and took a look, said I won't be charged and he'd get the lads back to sort it. But shows how shallow the pipe is if a tent peg can puncture it.

Associate
Electric is 450mm I'm sure and these days has warnings above that people can see!

Is it on the utility search?

A work thing - I had TWO 300mm gas mains under land we own that were not shown on the utilities search. That got Cadent worried, especially as next door they had a gas hub!

Back
Top Bottom