Sky UK launching HDR Wednesday 27th May.

Associate
Nice to have, I find myself leaving the Skybox Apps for native TV apps to get the better quality, probably still have to do that for Dolby Vision I guess.

now if they could let the mini q boxes play back UHD content (even downscaled to 1080p) that'd be nice, so annoying to have to download two version of a program if I decide to watch in another room.

Associate
Has anyone found which Sky Q boxes are HDR compatible?

All I've found is a suggestion that the 2TB boxes are compatible and it's the 1st Gen 1TB boxes that aren't, but I've found nothing official.

Soldato
Well that has come as a bit of a surprise - considering they were touting 2021. I guess that is what can be accomplished when people go and work and concentrate on projects.
I've had Q for just over a year and have the 2TB box, so assume it'll be HDR compatible.

If you've got a non-compatible box, considering we rent them these days, I'm sure a "fault" could develop that forces a replacement?

Soldato

All I've found is a suggestion that the 2TB boxes are compatible and it's the 1st Gen 1TB boxes that aren't, but I've found nothing official.
Any of the boxes that have hdmi 1.4 ports will not support hdr or 4k, those with 2.0 hdmi ports will. The differences are hardware based thus cannot be upgraded by firmware.

Soldato
(unless you can find anything 1080p hdr:p).
netflix streams 1080p hdr , as an adaptive dash stream if the broadband doesn't support the 4k bitrate, [... or, you have one of thosew 1080 (2.0) oleds ]

Soldato

2Tb and the v2 1Tb boxes do.

What? New to Sky UHD get a compatible box.

Be with them for years but have been given incompatible box then tough luck!

As usual pay for something with Sky that others get for free because they are new to the service.

Meh, i'm sure something will be worked out. It's not like there's going to be mountains of content to consume anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
With Sky now broadcasting in HDR are people expecting the file sizes to go up when recording to the 2 gig. As when recording 4k programing 2 gig will fill up quite quick I think. Maybe allow expendable memory in the future.

Soldato
some elaboration https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...hdr-next-weekbut-theres-a-catch/#1fa9553c79cc
Sources have suggested to me that Sky had originally planned to have replacement HDR boxes ready to roll out to customers who need to upgrade to coincide with the HDR launch, but its plans have been impacted by the Coronavirus. So it might be July/August before people who can’t get HDR on their first-gen Sky Q box will be able to obtain the upgraded hardware.
Is a new non-satellite(purely-internet) box on it's way too ? although, does 4k sport, from satellite still offer an exclusive 30Mb/s, you wouldn't get on internet
so maybe worth waiting.
[edit: new box would presumably have hdr10/dv for netflix too]

[also
"My engineer contact suggests, though, that one easy way to tell is that the incompatible V1 boxes don’t come with an external power supply, while the compatible newer boxes do"
]

Last edited:
Soldato

Nothing in those 3 links answers my question.

For clarity -

It seems that within the models of UHD skyQ boxes released by sky over the last few years there is a model(s) that can not output High Dynamic Range, I would like to know which of those don't.

Some articles suggest the first gen boxes (mine) don't whereas other articles suggest it's the 1Tb refresh boxes. Again I'm talking solely about UHD boxes not the inferior :p HD SkyQ boxes.

Personally I believe it's the first gen boxes due to the HDMI 1.4 output.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
some elaboration https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...hdr-next-weekbut-theres-a-catch/#1fa9553c79cc

Is a new non-satellite(purely-internet) box on it's way too ? although, does 4k sport, from satellite still offer an exclusive 30Mb/s, you wouldn't get on internet
so maybe worth waiting.
[edit: new box would presumably have hdr10/dv for netflix too]

[also
"My engineer contact suggests, though, that one easy way to tell is that the incompatible V1 boxes don’t come with an external power supply, while the compatible newer boxes do"
]
I believe the internet only box is still in development but that development is rather sporadic. I suspect bandwidth issues for recordings is an issue, especially in UHD and now HDR.

I have a HDR capable box and tv AFAIK as I was testing the 1TB UHD capable box. Will have a look at it on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom