Road Cycling

Soldato
side note, is the Garmin 735xt still considered a good choice as a fitness watch?
Currently on offer with the HRM strap for 199.99 and I want to start getting some better info out of my riding, running and walking etc.

I was going to say get a half decent cycle computer instead, it would be much better for cycling... but then I saw you want it for running too. I use a 735XT for running and it's pretty good, but I've never used it to track cycling... so can't really comment on that.

Soldato
I was going to say get a half decent cycle computer instead, it would be much better for cycling... but then I saw you want it for running too. I use a 735XT for running and it's pretty good, but I've never used it to track cycling... so can't really comment on that.
Yeah I've toyed with the idea of a cycling computer then just a basic wrist strap e.g. Honor Band for running. The geek in me likes the idea of the HRM strap and all the other data of the 735xt for example.

Soldato
Something odd is happening.
This year my target was 300w for 1hr and 70kg. Previous best off top of my head was 272w @69kg for IM
Two weeks ago I was able to hold 300w for 5 mins and around 240w for the hour.
Friday night I went for a short blast as I was saying all day I need to get out. It quickly turned into a 20 minute FTP test
306w average putting my theoretical 1 hr power way higher than it ever has been @ 71kg

Not sure if my limited training has somehow been extremely efficient or if I've just had an epiphany in terms of managing the struggle...
Either way, I'm going to try a 1 hr effort soon at 290w and see what happens :)

Soldato
The top answer in this thread explains best but for an extra £26 it seems a no-brainer to me.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Garmin/comments/9m8bxb/fr645_vs_vivoactive_3_vs_fr735xt/
Damn, even more money! hah.

I am now looking at picking up something like the Garmin Edge 130, currently £100 at Halfords. That covers my cycling needs as far as I can see, at least at a decent level. I am mainly looking for the interesting data from my cycling and it uploads to Strava which is nice.

Then just get a cheapo wristband e.g. Honor Band 5 to cover my running and walking. I had the Honor Band 4 and this did me fine up till the battery life was playing up so I have just sent it back to Amazon.

Maybe put the FR645 on the christmas list. I think the 735xt is so appealing because of the HRM strap which just looks cool :D, the 645 is compatiable with the strap so I could always get that at a later time.

I am no athlete so whilst all the fancy features of the 645/735xt I should perhaps just start out a bit cheaper at the moment then go from there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my budget Giro Empires today.

Feel good just walking around the house compared to the Giro Trans I've been trying not to hate since 2018.

They come up big so went with 43 which I'd be in a Nike trainer.

The laces mean I can tighten them where needed as my left foot is really tall. They seem to be like a Shimano 44 but with enough room for my dodgy foot. I couldn't get the dodgy bit into a Shimano I tried before. The Giro seemed to taper at the toes which put pressure on my second smallest toe and where the buckle was put pressure on the side of my foot.

Can't complain for £60.

Tune in tomorrow for 10 reasons why I don't like them. :D

Soldato
Second time out on the bike with the new tyres and tubes and a puncture strikes :(

Do I have any sort of recourse with Merlin Cycle for this? I've only been out twice since I fitted them which is frustrating.

They are Continental Race 28 tubes.

Soldato
No. Punctures happen.

The tyres are more important than the tubes - what tyres are they?
:(

I wonder if it's worth investing in tubeless tires.

They are Conti Ultra, I only really wanted a half decent option to get on the road to see if I actually liked cycling. I guess if I spend money on decent tyres/tubes now then I've always got these as spare.

EDIT; Looking at the inner tube, it seems to have “pinched” so likely down to a poor install on my behalf. Is it still ok/possible to patch a pinched inner tube, its very slight (can upload photo if easier)?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Galibier are a small brand but offer some good kit with selling direct to consumers. I don't have any of their bib shorts but my winter bib tights are from them and are excellent IMO - https://galibier.cc/product/pro6bib-shorts/
Likewise Prendas are direct - https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/giessegi-pordoi-bib-shorts
I've got two pairs of DHB Aeron Speed Roubaix shorts (Wiggle / CRC). I picked them up for almost half price though - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb/cycle/bib-shorts/
I don't have any but Lusso manufacturer in the UK (AFAIK) and get some good reviews - https://road.cc/content/review/246034-lusso-carbon-bib-shorts-v2

I've got some new bibs I'll hopefully get to try out on Monday - Endura Pro SL. Over budget at RRP £120 though. Mrs Chris got a discount code from Endura for 50% discount for NHS staff :cool:

Pad choice can be a personal thing, so reviews (https://road.cc/category/review-section/clothing/shorts-34s) can help but sometimes you just need to ride in them. I had a pair of Shutt's Sanremo shorts as a launch offer (50% off I think it was). They've since reviewed at 9/10 by road.cc (https://road.cc/content/review/266326-shutt-velo-rapide-signature-sanremo-bib-shorts) but they caused, erm, "havoc" downstairs for me on a 150km ride last summer. Couldn't fault the service from Shutt though - I got a full refund when returning them, so would buy kit from them again.

I recently picked up their packable rain coat, and at £60 it's a bloody bargain! Caliber that is.

Soldato
:(

I wonder if it's worth investing in tubeless tires.

They are Conti Ultra, I only really wanted a half decent option to get on the road to see if I actually liked cycling. I guess if I spend money on decent tyres/tubes now then I've always got these as spare.

EDIT; Looking at the inner tube, it seems to have “pinched” so likely down to a poor install on my behalf. Is it still ok/possible to patch a pinched inner tube, its very slight (can upload photo if easier)?

Pinched, as in double "snakebite puncture?" If so, that's too little pressure.

Fine to repair.

Conti Ultra Sport are cheap 'n' cheerful, not much at all in the way of puncture protection. GP5000s roll great, but you will play the puncture lottery if travelling on roads littered with flints, glass shards etc.

If your wheels are tubeless ready, GP5000TL with tubeless setup could be the answer, but they will give you speed at the cost of durability. In that respect, https://www.merlincycles.com/hutchi...-storm-tlr-folding-road-tyre-700c-116846.html are supposed to be a good middle-ground between speed and tyre life.

Soldato
Pinched, as in double "snakebite puncture?" If so, that's too little pressure.

Fine to repair.

Conti Ultra Sport are cheap 'n' cheerful, not much at all in the way of puncture protection. GP5000s roll great, but you will play the puncture lottery if travelling on roads littered with flints, glass shards etc.

If your wheels are tubeless ready, GP5000TL with tubeless setup could be the answer, but they will give you speed at the cost of durability. In that respect, https://www.merlincycles.com/hutchi...-storm-tlr-folding-road-tyre-700c-116846.html are supposed to be a good middle-ground between speed and tyre life.

I think that’s what your describing?

If so, ok will pick up a puncture repair kit and give it a go, would I use the little patches or the glue type substance in the bottle to patch those?
“Too little pressure” noted, a cheap learning curve thankfully. Always check the pressure/pump them up properly in the first place!

I will investigate tubeless tyres.

Soldato
Make sure you're pumping them up hard enough. 70-80psi for a 25 minimum. More if you're a fat lad.
Oi! Haha

Yeah I will repair the patch and get it pumped up.

What's the best way to patch these? I've got the Halfords puncture kit but I'm honestly at a loss. Do I use one of these little stickers/plaster on each of the "snake bites" ?

Soldato
I keep meaning to try and set up my wheels as tubeless (Mind you, I have a stash of inner tubes now! :( ) What is needed? I have the 'valve bit' that came with the wheels. I need a sealant and that's all? Do I need different tyre types?

I assume then, punctures are literally tears/holes in the tyre. How do you fix those, roadside?

Soldato
Guys what tyres do you run? I used to be a massive fan of Michelin pro4 endurance.

Wondering if they're still the go to tyre? For weekend rides only, good puncture protection and good grip are key for me

Back
Top Bottom