Broke my dr150s. Suggest replacements please!

Soldato
What kind budget you had in mind?

Beyerdynamic DT990 would be one open headphone with similar type frequency response.
Pro Black Limited Edition would have straight 3m cable, "normal" Pro has coiled cable, because its meant for studio use.

Associate
OP
What kind budget you had in mind?

Beyerdynamic DT990 would be one open headphone with similar type frequency response.
Pro Black Limited Edition would have straight 3m cable, "normal" Pro has coiled cable, because its meant for studio use.

Indeed that would help!

I’d say £60...

I’ll have a look at them and see what’s what. Thanks

Soldato
For that budget there aren't much of open design headphones.
Takstar has gone for only closed designs, so don't know others than Superlux who makes open headphones into that price category.
Superlux even has their copy of DT990...
Though part quality and finish along with comfort aren't at same level.

Soldato
Yeah, I got my DR150's around that time too; 2009 I think. Absolute bargain of a headphone. DR150's main rival; the HD555, which were also £45 at the time; I remember Sennheiser decided to double their price to £90. Once they did that; nothing came close to being as good as the Goldring's for similar money.

Of course some people still believed the HD555's even at twice their previous price were a better choice. Brand loyalty, I guess. :p

Best choice for £60 budget now, would probably be Creative Aurvana Live for £55. They are closed cup, but as Esat has said, the choice of open headphones at that budget is slim indeed.

Superlux has some decent low budget headphones, but the DT990 clone has cheap pleather covered ear pads; the type that flakes off. Can't stand those that do that. I suppose the advantage would be that Beyerdynamic pads should fit and will be of better quality.

Soldato
My DR150s cost me £30 new. Absolute bargain of a headphone. Mine are looking a bit tired now but still in daily use.

CAL! are a very different sounding sort of headphone. I got those for about £30 too.

Things have changed :(

Associate
OP
Going to bump this, instead of creating a new thread
Managed to hold onto the dr150’s for a while longer but the band finally snapped.

So, budget of around £50, have an ASUS Xonar DG that has a headphone amp.
I listen to mostly hardcore/hard house but also rock.

Suggestions please good people!

Soldato
That's a shame. I've still got my DR150's. The headband has cracks, but I don't use them that much now; so that likely helps to prolong their life. :p

Still good headphones though and were a bargain for what they cost.

It's going to be a tough act to follow the DR150's, particularly for £50. Not just great sound, but with the velour pads as well. As Uriel posted; things have changed.

Superlux 668B or 681 might be the best choice. Very good sound for the price, but there are caveats. Hot sweaty ear pads and the terrible cheap pleather that breaks up.

You can change the pads though for better velour ones.

I was thinking of AKG K240 as an alternative, but according to one reviewer on the jungle site who owns 668B's as well; the Superlux's sound better and are cheaper. K240's have better build quality but have similar problem with the pleather ear pads. K240 pads can be changed AFAIK; so could be replaced for velour ones.

Soldato
Still using DR150s as my main daily headphones. Plastic still looks solid. I do recall either the DR50s or DR100s I had showed some signs of plastic cracking but don't remember which.

Back
Top Bottom