Pal or NTSC video?

Associate
I see that my recent purchase of a GX80 records in pal at 25p or 50p. Is this not worse than a camera that records in 30p and 60p? Surely it's not future proof? TVs are now 60 and 120hz and computers are 60hz. So if I am watching the videos I record on a modern TV or computer will I be getting a worse experience? Is it better to buy a camera from the USA that records in NTSC?

Soldato
PAL and NTSC only refers to SD video. At HD and above there isn't that distinction any more, just different frame rates. The reason your camera is locked to 25p or 50p is for backwards compatibility with PAL if you ever wanted to run off an SD DVD for example or broadcast it but the important thing to consider is if you are shooting around certain light sources that run at 50hz, if you shoot at 30p or 60p you'll get flicker from the lights, if you were using the camera mainly indoors it could be a problem but if you're shooting out and about then it doesn't really matter. As far as future proofing goes, all frame rates are future proof, from 24p for film all the way up to 120p and beyond, it ultimately comes down to what you are shooting, where and what look you want.

Personally I would stick with the 25p/50p model for use in this country, purely for the reason of potentially encountering the flickering lights issue.

Soldato
Yeah PAL compatibility as the UK power supply is 50hz, so would this produce a flicker on video at 60p which was an issue on old CRT monitors. Maybe depends on the shutter speed if lights give a flicker?
On my Sony rx100m3 in the UK when selecting 60p video every time turning on there was a warning message about NTSC :rolleyes:
Had to 'hack' the camera to remove the warning but now theres no time limit on video :D

Soldato
That's why the movie industry is still at 24p
Interestingly enough until more recently a lot of features would have been shot at 23.98 rather than 24 to account for the downconvert to legacy "video" specs. I think 24 is more popular now as it's less confusing, translates directly to BD and... well... sod SD :p

Soldato
It's weird how many people think the higher the frame rate the better. Watching a video in 4k at 48 or 60fps is not pleasant. The movements are too smooth and look computer generated, and the people seem as though they floating about without and real world physics.

There are some oddities though. Normally Sony cameras for example will not let you shoot in 24p, unless you select you are in an NTSC region. This is because 24p isn't a PAL standard but NTSC covers 24,30,60.

Also you'll be hard pushed to find a mobile phone that lets you record at 24 or 25 fps. Something to consider then matching footage.

Caporegime
It's weird how many people think the higher the frame rate the better. Watching a video in 4k at 48 or 60fps is not pleasant. The movements are too smooth and look computer generated, and the people seem as though they floating about without and real world physics.

I have to disagree, in videos with rapid motion like sports the higher framerate is very much appreciated as 24 or even 30fps looks choppy by comparison, remember that traditional TV has always been 50 or 60 fields per second so a drop to only 24-30fps is noticeable.

In any case shooting at a higher framerate is generally the better choice because for the average consumer as it gives you a lot more versatility for things like slow motion, you can always halve it if you decide you don't need the extra frames in post.

Soldato
Samsung S7 edge here, and that offers 4k at 24, 25, 30, 48, 50 and 60 HEVC to sdcard, once you remove the block Samsung placed on this old classic in 2016, their S20 ultra must surely be able to 8k 120fps :D

Soldato
I am watching a video comparing the Canon 250D to the M50 and the reviewer says:

"The m50 can record video at 24, 30 and 60fps, if you're recording in NTSC mode." I assume "Pal Mode" would offer 50fps. Do most cameras allow you to change between NTSC Mode and Pal Mode?

Caporegime
I am watching a video comparing the Canon 250D to the M50 and the reviewer says:

"The m50 can record video at 24, 30 and 60fps, if you're recording in NTSC mode." I assume "Pal Mode" would offer 50fps. Do most cameras allow you to change between NTSC Mode and Pal Mode?

Yes. I have never come across a high end camera that doesn't offer both the pal and ntsc framerates.

Back
Top Bottom